• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Have you ever gone out in risky conditions to get your gear?

BilboBaggins

Addicted Member
I have to admit, I have. About 6 years ago I drove out into a storm in order to beat out the competition. Yes, about 45 minutes each way to a small town outside of Ottawa, through blowing snow, hail, sleet, along roads where there are large farms and no wind protection. It was worth it, because I know I got the McIntosh MA6200 only because I didn't wait for better conditions. And I got it for 2/5 of its value at that time!
McIntosh MA-6200 IMG_1378.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I was going to say "no", but then I remembered that I bought my Magnepan speakers the day after a rare ice storm in Dallas, TX. Dallas has no snow plows, but they did manage to get the major overpasses sanded before I ventured out, and fortunately most of the people in town were hunkered down so traffic was light.
 
I can't remember going out in inclement weather specifically to get gear, but I most likely would. I love driving in the snow. The more snow, the more fun! I drove all over Vermont for work for many years. Here are a few pics of some adventures. I wish I could say I was getting gear!

20190213_093317.jpg 20190213_105104.jpg 20200422_114459.jpg
 
Does a foot of snow count in El Paso Texas back in the 60's before planet warming? Back then we had a few snow plows and a few sand broadcasters, but other wise we were on our own and there was no I-10 only surface streets. . But you wanted to get home before the sun came out and melted all the snow on the Franklin mountains that would wash cars down the arroyos and some paved streets that were the main drain off paths to the Rio Grande river in Central El Paso.. We set a record with a low temp of -14 degrees which still stands as I remember. But I wanted to pick up my Altec Carmels and get them home. So I borrowed my Dads F-250 with the limited slip rear end and chains and was off. 3 hours later they were hooked up to my MA 230 and sounding mighty fine. That is, till I discovered Bozak the next year.
 
Trying to physically lift my MC2205. I thought for sure I was hernia bound. This is a set it and forget it amp. Far too heavy for regular movement.
I’ve had mine for a few months and concur. Mine didn’t come with a case and getting it in one was quite the challenge. Once those feet are off the bottom it is HARD to get your hands under it!
 
I have been to some dodgy places... :)

This.

I used to be a delivery driver, so storms and weather don't phase me a bit. Hail, tornadoes, a foot of snow, whatever. But I have felt pretty uncomfortable at some pickup locations, due to sketchiness of the neighborhood, creepiness of seller, condition of the home, etc. But I haven't been killed yet, so "yay me!"
 
I left a window open one summer.
The storm visited me.
I was outside with my wife and brother's kid dancing in the sudden rain.
It was all fun and games until we decided to get new clothes.

I left a window open one summer.
Under it lives my gear.
 
When I read the title, I thought, yes, I've made sure I was armed in some of these situations (dark parking lot in risky neighborhood). Comically, I won't go out in risky weather conditions just to buy gear, though.
 
This.

I used to be a delivery driver, so storms and weather don't phase me a bit. Hail, tornadoes, a foot of snow, whatever. But I have felt pretty uncomfortable at some pickup locations, due to sketchiness of the neighborhood, creepiness of seller, condition of the home, etc. But I haven't been killed yet, so "yay me!"
HA. for me it's the exact opposite. You can control/intimidate people. The weather does what it's gonna do.
 
This.

I used to be a delivery driver, so storms and weather don't phase me a bit. Hail, tornadoes, a foot of snow, whatever. But I have felt pretty uncomfortable at some pickup locations, due to sketchiness of the neighborhood, creepiness of seller, condition of the home, etc. But I haven't been killed yet, so "yay me!"
+1 on the creepiness of the seller.
 
I once waded across a basement floor with a few inches of not-pristine water on it to get my hands on a Marantz receiver a fellow was selling. In my search for gear, I have been to inside/outside estate sales during a raging snowstorm, plus going to sales in rain and New Mexico summer heat. I should have been a mailman.
 
I flew into Seattle to pick up my pair of rosewood ADS L1590/2 and drive them back to San Diego in a rented SUV. There was a major storm about to hit the PNW and northern CA... I had to follow a snowplow and line of vehicles crawling up the hill near Grants Pass IIRC, but eventually got south far enough to miss the rest of the storm. After that the only risk was staying awake on the remaining drive south.

John
 
Back
Top Bottom