• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Have you ever gone out in risky conditions to get your gear?

I go out in "terrible" weather conditions for fun. Picking up gear would just be a by-product.
I used to work in field service for Digital Equipment Corp. We had a large customer base here in Ottawa, with our Silicon Valley North in Kanata, thanks to Nortel and about a dozen other high tech companies, and a large federal government base, so I was often on call, and I got regular calls. On average, when I was on call, I would put in 60 hour weeks. I got used to going out in just about any weather. I made sure I had good snow tires on my car, and I took a defensive driving course that was offered by DEC. I enjoyed driving in bad weather.

There was one time I got up, let the dog out (or tried to) to do her thing. She refused to step past the door frame. There had been freezing rain all night and it was still going on. Everything was coated with close to an inch of ice, and trees were beginning to break under all that weight. I looked around, and called into my office and told them I wasn't going anywhere unless it was a police or hospital emergency. Shortly afterwards, the mayor closed the city. We weren't able to go anywhere for about 4 days. There are pictures of High Tension Power lines crumpled from the weight of all that ice between Ottawa and Montreal. I had a twig I broke off a tree in my freezer for a few years until the freezer got accidentally unplugged. Every time I took it out I was amazed!
 
Either we're not supposed to discuss religion...or.....? Bashing or denigrating religion isn't acceptable if religion, in general, is not an accepted topic. At least, bashing or denigrating shouldn't be.
 
Hmmm, Sex.... I think it is OK, as long as it isn't pornographic. There was a thread here about album covers and it got shut down because apparently, the censors of the 50s and 60s didn't look at album covers, and there were quite a few risque album covers.
 
@BilboBaggins, didn’t you say this: “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”?
 
I thought I didn't, but now I recall! It was new years eve, 2021 and I went with my father in a Hyundai Elantra to pick up a GE P-780B that had been sitting unsold (for 5 months at that point) in a neck-of-the-woods antique store. I got it for a decent price, in better cosmetic condition than most specimens I see. However the drive there was...well, in Longview there was still snow packed onto the streets, and cars in that area had snow chains on their tires (ours didn't since our snow had already melted). Especially where the antique store was located atop a hill, the parking lot was layered with slush and ice. We even saw a 4x4 struggling to get out of the lot, so we decided to drive around and find a parking close by...in which case we didn't (and we nearly got stuck). So my father had to drive around in circles while I took my sweet time checking out the radio and walking out with it.

Safe to say we will certainly not return to that antique store during the winter.

20211231_144023.jpg
 
I thought I didn't, but now I recall! It was new years eve, 2021 and I went with my father in a Hyundai Elantra to pick up a GE P-780B that had been sitting unsold (for 5 months at that point) in a neck-of-the-woods antique store. I got it for a decent price, in better cosmetic condition than most specimens I see. However the drive there was...well, in Longview there was still snow packed onto the streets, and cars in that area had snow chains on their tires (ours didn't since our snow had already melted). Especially where the antique store was located atop a hill, the parking lot was layered with slush and ice. We even saw a 4x4 struggling to get out of the lot, so we decided to drive around and find a parking close by...in which case we didn't (and we nearly got stuck). So my father had to drive around in circles while I took my sweet time checking out the radio and walking out with it.

Safe to say we will certainly not return to that antique store during the winter.

View attachment 2607603
When I was young, I used to drive in all conditions with only all season radials. Then, about 12 years ago(I'm 60 now), I bought a minivan which also came with Bridgestone winter tires. I've used good winter tires ever since! What was I thinking??? If you live in an area where the temperatures are regularly under 20 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter, you want to be using winter tires. You gain extra traction and control. The cost is well worth the it in terms of safety.

BTW, I liked how you handled that bit of awkwardness.
 
A few years back there was a hurricane coming through. I live in NC so we see quite a few and some can be down right nasty. I fire up the big rig and decide I just want to tune in some FM. My SAE Mark VIII refuses to decode stereo. Just wont do it out of the blue. At the time I had purged out all unused equipment and didnt have a spare tuner! I check a local vintage hi-fi store and look through his tuner list online and find a nice Marantz 2020 tuner. The remains of the storm were coming through and I drove out to the hi-fi store and bought the 2020.
 
Back
Top Bottom