• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Have you seen Ebay? Would you pay $3000 - 4000 for a Sansui 9090db?

I don't think its a question of if you have more money you should buy it. I think the community should hold off, not buy it and let the market cool down. Don't pay these ridiculous prices...Bring the prices back down...
 
Last edited:
In 2022, Id's say a fair price for a Sansui 9090db is $7-800 for one that needs a ton of work, $1200 for so so, $1400 for good and $1800 - 2000 for mint....

Not $3000 or 4000, that's just nuts.
 
I sold one not that long ago and i think it went back to Japan. I did pretty good but not $3000 good
 
Back in the mid 90's I found a Sansui G 33000 out on the curb in the trash, along with a pair of large kabuki speakers. I took it all home, cleaned everything up, and it all worked fine. I wasn't impressed with any of it, and sold it for $100, which at the time, and for what it was, I thought was decent.

Now, they're in the $15K range, plus maybe another $1K for the speakers. Kicking myself for not keeping it.

I can understand people being willing to pay an inflated price for the sake of nostalgia, but for that much money, one could buy some good, new separates.

Or some very good used separates.
 
Ask me again on Memorial Day, 2024 or maybe 2026 I have no doubt that it will get there, it’s just a matter of what timeline. Like I mentioned on the $8k Pioneer 1980 thread that’s in motion on AK, probably a good investment. Finite number of units out there, and ultimately more money out there than units available = increasing price/value. They are obviously not going to fire up the production line on these any time soon, so just basic economics...demand outpaces supply and value increases. Marantz 2600, Pioneer 1980, Sansui 9090 and a few TOL others.

Buy up the market if you are filthy rich. Your ROI is likely there, big time. Priced a nicely restored 1969 Camero lately?
 
Would you pay $3000 - 4000 for a Sansui 9090db?

I am not the target market. I likely don't know the buyer who is.

When vintage stuff is rivaling the cost of nice new stuff

All else considered, I'd prefer to buy new. Assuming equal performance, I want to listen to music - not fix audio gear.
I'm certain I can get pretty nice electronics for $4k and it should run without headaches pretty much forever.
 
I pay no attention to fools and their money.

After all, there's a sucker born every minute.

People can spend on whatever they choose, but having spent 35 years enjoying gear and music, I can state with certainty that we live in a golden age where good sound is concerned.

You can take 500 bucks and easily put together a system that would be astounding for most casual listeners.
 
You can take 500 bucks and easily put together a system that would be astounding for most casual listeners.

I have $20 in my Denon PMA 980R, $12 in my Marantz CD 5001, $30 in my Pioneer PL 530 (Not counting cartridge) and $30 in my Totem Mani 2's.

I have other combinations with nearly equal cost results, Yamaha CR 2040, Sansui AU 919, Yamaha NS 1000's, Luxman PD 272.........

I am convinced with time, aggressiveness, and patience these results can be equalled, and surpassed still. But it could take a few years. As it did me.
 
Just wondering if you've noticed the price of gear lately. Have you seen Ebay? Would you pay $3000 - 4000 for a Sansui 9090db?

- A Thorens TD-124 with SME 3009 turntable $5000???
- A Pioneer SX-1280 $3000 - 4000???

Is nostalgia and hype now over riding the value of these units?

Would you pay that?

Nope, I've had two and didn't care for 'em -- never been certain about the appeal of these models but to each their own.
 
I saw recently that two Pioneer SX-880s sold for north of $600. I put mine up for $650 and it sold in an hour. I've been selling off most of my vinyl and CD collection but now I'm taking a break to sell off some of the vintage gear. I'm currently listening to a set up I just put together to see if I can live with this as my only system. This would be a Pioneer VSX-1016TXV paired with Wharfedale Denton 80th's. I was impressed with how this Pioneer did 2 channel stereo with average speakers so now I'm trying it out with my better speakers. Bottom line I just don't need 4 systems anymore.
 
1. I have seen eBay.
2. I would not pay $3,000+ for a Sansui 9090DB.

* nb: I would not pay $1,000+ for a Sansui 9090DB.
 
Would I pay it? Hell no! Even if I could afford it. That being said I’ve owned two 9090dbs and they were hands down the best ss pieces I’ve ever owned.
 
Have you seen Audiokarma Rules? Would you participate in a thread about value in a general forum?

Me neither. See you in Dollars and Sense, I hope.
 
I guess I’m old school when I have sold equipment it’s at a fair price not the the most I can get ! And sometimes I’ve let items go to for less to really interested friends this is a great hobby and sometimes I get upset when I see people being pushed out of the market by people out to get the most money ! Is it legal yes but that doesn’t make it right to each his own I guess

Market value is a reflection of supply and demand- nothing more nothing less. It cannot be right or wrong. It's simply what is.
 
I don't mind one bit because I'm at the point in my life where I'm downsizing and keeping only what I "actually" use and listen to.It doesn't make sense to me anymore to have 7 turntables for example.I know some of us here are prone to hoarding to some extent but I resist to some degree.I will never complain of having been paid too much for a piece of gear, but at the same time amazed at the prices some are willing to pay.
 
I find it funny that guys have such a problem with these prices. I see folks post pictures of $8000-$10,000 electric bikes and nobody seems to care. You can buy a motorcycle for that much. Expensive cars? Everyone seems to be on board. $50,000 motors in race cars? Yeah that’s cool. But paying $3,000 for a receiver and you’re either a scum bag or a sucker, depending if you’re the buyer or the seller.
 
Back
Top Bottom