• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Having Issues with a Sony DAT recorder, need advice.

I think they stopped manufacturing DAT at least 15 years ago. So you have to be very lucky.

You can directly ask Sony but imho the most efficient solution would be to do it the Sasi's way: collect faulty machines at bargain price and use the parts.
 
I think they stopped manufacturing DAT at least 15 years ago. So you have to be very lucky.

You can directly ask Sony but imho the most efficient solution would be to do it the Sasi's way: collect faulty machines at bargain price and use the parts.
I know they stopped making DAT recorders, but I thought they have parts. I mean they kept making betamax tapes long after the format died. The shipping cost is a bit much for broken decks, that's all. I live in Australia so it's at least $110 for shipping.
 
Don't you have second hand market for dat in Australia ? (Ebay, classifieds...)

It will be probably easier to find parts for the professional line but why don't you ask Sony or above dealer ?

I found some brand new RF amp but for other models, the cost is ~160-180$:
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-parts.aspx

We do, but DAT recorders are rare down here, most of them are pro. It's hard to get parts for these things.
 
My Sony DAT deck has a weird problem where it automatically goes into "Play" mode as soon as it's powered on.

It's not that big of a deal since I never record or play tapes on it anymore. I only keep it around for it's excellent SBM Analog-to-Digital converter and for its input level control when transferring vinyl and tape to CD.

I have it connected via optical cable to an inexpensive Teac CD recorder, which amazingly hasn't given me trouble in almost a decade of use - but has a rather poor analog input section. I keep the DAT deck in Record/Pause mode and use it to adjust the input level, and the digital signal is read and burned by the CD recorder with excellent results.
 
You can add the 670, 690, 59ES as they all are very similar.

I own 2 x 55ES, 1 x 690 and 1 x 59ES. 3 of them needed a mechanism cleaning/repair but only one had the RF amp issue.

The 55ES has a slightly heavier mechanism with no belt.

The 690 and the 59ES share the same mechanism. The main difference is a bigger power supply on the 59ES.

If you have an opportunity to test the one on Ebay it could be a bargain.
 
You can add the 670, 690, 59ES as they all are very similar.

I own 2 x 55ES, 1 x 690 and 1 x 59ES. 3 of them needed a mechanism cleaning/repair but only one had the RF amp issue.

The 55ES has a slightly heavier mechanism with no belt.

The 690 and the 59ES share the same mechanism. The main difference is a bigger power supply on the 59ES.

If you have an opportunity to test the one on Ebay it could be a bargain.
The bidding on that could go up a heap, to more than I'd like to pay and if it too has a faulty RF amp, I'm stuck with 2 DATs to repair.
I'll just contact the repair guy I know and ask if he can get new capacitors for the RF amp. I'm sure that's the only real issue.
I think if I bought an entirely new, it would have to be a professional model, such as this one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SONY-PCM-R30...687721890?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item33620365a2
Well this one looks more tough and likely to work http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sony-PCM-R50...717284493?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item3a5fea288d .
 
Last edited:
Sony started using boatloads of surface mount capacitors at some point. On consumer AND pro gear. A lot of it is useless junk now because of it. I re-cap a lot of gear, and small jobs with a limited number of those little horrors I'll do. But some of the boards with 60 to 100 caps on them..... trash.

You NEED to know specific models to avoid those rotten caps.

I had 2 Sony 8mm editing decks. One was the original, one was the "updated" version. I popped the lid on both.... The original used ALL standard caps. The "updated" one was an ocean of surface mounts. Guess which one I immediately sold, and which one is still running fine to this day?

Sigh..... electronics are turning into 5 year items these days.

Marc
 
The PCM-R300 share the same mechanism and RF amp with the 57ES (same part number A-2001-587-A), I am not sure it is more reliable.

Btw improvments over the 57ES are: "better designed boards", "XLR Inputs and Output connectors", "defeatable SCMS" (http://www.datrecorders.co.uk/pcm2300.php).

I think the R-500 would be reliable, it seems pretty solid.
My theory is that the pro series would have been serviced a few more times.than the consumer ones.
 
Sony started using boatloads of surface mount capacitors at some point. On consumer AND pro gear. A lot of it is useless junk now because of it. I re-cap a lot of gear, and small jobs with a limited number of those little horrors I'll do. But some of the boards with 60 to 100 caps on them..... trash.

You NEED to know specific models to avoid those rotten caps.

I had 2 Sony 8mm editing decks. One was the original, one was the "updated" version. I popped the lid on both.... The original used ALL standard caps. The "updated" one was an ocean of surface mounts. Guess which one I immediately sold, and which one is still running fine to this day?

Sigh..... electronics are turning into 5 year items these days.

Marc
That could be the reason why I have a Sony TC-D5m cassette deck which is working fine and a useless Dat recorder
 
I think the R-500 would be reliable, it seems pretty solid.
My theory is that the pro series would have been serviced a few more times.than the consumer ones.
I wouldn't be so sure. Check both service manuals: the parts are the same. maybe the pro series have been serviced a few more times but have probably served more.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure. Check both service manuals: the parts are the same. maybe the pro series have been serviced a few more times but have probably served more.
You could be right, I'll settle for the RF amp. The mechanism is a bit jerky on rewind and FF but the main problem is the distortion which on goes away when I record and play back straight away.
So Hdrobien, how much should this little box cost?
 
If you are able to find a NOS it should be around 150 USD. Otherwise do like me: try to find faulty units at cheap price and cannibalize them.
 
If you are able to find a NOS it should be around 150 USD. Otherwise do like me: try to find faulty units at cheap price and cannibalize them.
Bit expensive. It's ok, SaSi sent me a message saying he can sell me 2 RF amps and 1 mechanism, I just need to wait for him to find them. I wish he'd stated how much he wants for them.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom