• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

He, he, he- They're almost done!

What no handles included?

Those things will be hea-vvvy once you're finished..............

look nice though and good luck,
 
Sweet! I really can't wait to see these bad boys finished and hear what the new cabinets can do. I always thought the old ones sounded great.
 
very, very impressive.

What kind of finishing you´re planning on, if I may ask?

I was thinking either something very dark, like a heavily glossed piano black, or something very light, like maple or birch. The original finish was a very dark rosewood, and was sort of depressing (emotionally).
 
nocookie.jpg
 
Sorry, kids: couldn't find the cookies. Take this instead:

fishystickcf7.jpg

long live the Elder Scrolls
 
Mission Accomplished!

Well, almost. Just loaded them into the Rover and nearly stroked out doing so. Thankfully, Boy Wonder is in a lot better shape than I am.

There is still some odds and ends that need to be sorted*, but here are the 2008 JVC model zero9.


* Aside from the obvious need for a finish, the threaded inserts for the mounting screws need to be installed, there is a little more bracing that needs to be put in place, and the port tubes are still under construction. That said, they are in playable condition. How they sound at this point will be determined tomorrow at the T.C. mini-fest.
 

Attachments

  • missionaccomplished.jpg
    missionaccomplished.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 147
I'm liking the Rangie and the Zero9's too! :D

I've heard about these things, but I never knew they were so big! That cabinet construction is very impressive. What were the originals like?
 
I'm liking the Rangie and the Zero9's too! :D

I've heard about these things, but I never knew they were so big! That cabinet construction is very impressive. What were the originals like?

I've pretty well documented my unquestioning love of these speakers in these hallowed forums. Quite possibly, they are the finest overall speaker I have ever heard. Period. There are some speakers that do one thing or another better (usually quite marginally so, except for the case of Maggies and piano or Maggies and female vocals- those win hands down).

Here are a couple of links with a variety of "before" pictures, including the individual drivers.
 
Now that you got 'em in the Rover...are we gonna need a cherrypicker to pull those badboys outta there come tomorrow afternoon?:scratch2: You're gonna need like three of us old stogies to lift that much weight!
 
Now that you got 'em in the Ranger...are we gonna need a cherrypicker to pull those badboys outta there come tomorrow afternoon?:scratch2:

They're getting moved to the Subaru tonight- The Rangie only gets about 10MPG (vs. ~24MPG for the Legacy), so I've ruled out taking it to the Cities.

Bob will also be there, and he's bringing another set of big speakers- The L-150A's.
 
Sweeeet!!! Ought to be quite an event hearing their debut in the new cabinets. I'm looking forward to it. :thmbsp:
 
They're getting moved to the Subaru tonight- The Rangie only gets about 10MPG (vs. ~24MPG for the Legacy), so I've ruled out taking it to the Cities.

I had a 99 4.4 years ago and as I recall it got about 15 MPG on the highway. Was too hard to get parts and service for back then.

Looking forward to seeing those cabinets finished...
 
Do we have a finished weight on these bad boys?

Look good Bob! Nice inspiration Mike.

Can't wait to hear them tomorrow.
 
I had a 99 4.4 years ago and as I recall it got about 15 MPG on the highway. Was too hard to get parts and service for back then.

Looking forward to seeing those cabinets finished...

Mine's a '95 County LWB with the 4.2, and no overdrive (I don't recall whether the P38's have OD or not). Parts are not proven too difficult to find, as long as you remember that the '95 RR's were a strange chimera with parts of the Discovery thrown in. Just had an episode where I needed a new air filter and the first one they ordered did not fit. It turns out that I needed the same one as a '95 Discovery 3.9. The dash and console are also more related to the Discovery than previous Classics.
 
Mine's a '95 County LWB with the 4.2, and no overdrive (I don't recall whether the P38's have OD or not). Parts are not proven too difficult to find, as long as you remember that the '95 RR's were a strange chimera with parts of the Discovery thrown in. Just had an episode where I needed a new air filter and the first one they ordered did not fit. It turns out that I needed the same one as a '95 Discovery 3.9. The dash and console are also more related to the Discovery than previous Classics.
The cylinder liners on the >3.9 V8s can come loose and cause general havoc. Symptoms are loss of coolant and a funny rattling when warm.

The P38's auto box had an overdrive 4th.
 
Some more pics of their birth.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0015_2.jpg
    IMG_0015_2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0018_2.jpg
    IMG_0018_2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0019_2.jpg
    IMG_0019_2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0021_2.jpg
    IMG_0021_2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom