Giovanni68
Member
Hello ladies and gentleman,
even tho a member since a while I never bothered to introduce myself and now it's about time so that I can then jump two feet into audio discussions.
I am a past-middle-age Italian who started the journey into music as a teen and then gave a long break up till a couple years ago (and it's over thirty years...) when I picked up my old gear, took dust off and switched the electricity on again because whatever conveniente might mp3 be to know there is something spinning and some big membranes moving, to me, is part of the "music" experience and as such got the old JBL4311B back, left the old Sansui integrated amp in the storage and ignited the Adcom duo to play some music through another vintage piece being the Sony CD player (soon going for restoration).
Well, mp3 is always with me when I go to work or wherever on the way, along with sunglasses it's an amazing way to apologize when people go like "hey, yesterday I called you along the way but you didn't even turn!" "oh, sorry, I was listening to music and didn't even see you..." but when I am home and in the mood I do enjoy seeing the white JBL woofers to vibrate.
Two years ago I met a friend who's dad was a true (unlike me) hi-fi affectionate, unfortunately he passed away and my friend, knowing I have an old passion for hi-fi gear, asked me to help him get rid of some of the accumulated gear and when I went to check I couldn't make any different than to fall in love for some of that vintage gear, in a year time I helped him sell some of the stuff (he doesn't live in that house any longer and wanted to gather some money for his mum to better go through elder age with some extra cash) and made one of my teen age dreams come almost true, when I was a teen I had the venture to see an Oracle Delphi turntable on a magazine and it was love at first sight, back then it used to cost more than a motorcycle and this latter one was above the turntable in my desires list so I gave up but love never fades; at this friend's place there was a marvelous Michell Gyrodec and I laid my eyes on it and a year later it became mine along with an AR SP-9 preamp which took place of the little Adcom; does it sound better? I don't know and I don't mind, it's so nice to look at that sounding or not makes me feel good...
Another year passed by and I also got another almost vintage piece of gear, a tube amp, a Chinese well kept KT88 push pull which is now coupled to the JBL4311b and the Audio Research, the spinning machine needs belt being replaced as well as pickup wires, I will get those as a xmas present so that the wait makes it even better and, let me tell you, when that thing spins my teen age 33rpm albums it's like physics being defeated and traveling back in time...
So, whilst waiting to add some more vintage stuff to my setup (yes, there is more I dream about but now I gotta make what I own work at it's potential with the space restrictions I have), I quit this quite long introduction and jump to some specific forum and thank you all in advance for the patience into reading my rants and into hosting me here.
Best
Giovanni
even tho a member since a while I never bothered to introduce myself and now it's about time so that I can then jump two feet into audio discussions.
I am a past-middle-age Italian who started the journey into music as a teen and then gave a long break up till a couple years ago (and it's over thirty years...) when I picked up my old gear, took dust off and switched the electricity on again because whatever conveniente might mp3 be to know there is something spinning and some big membranes moving, to me, is part of the "music" experience and as such got the old JBL4311B back, left the old Sansui integrated amp in the storage and ignited the Adcom duo to play some music through another vintage piece being the Sony CD player (soon going for restoration).
Well, mp3 is always with me when I go to work or wherever on the way, along with sunglasses it's an amazing way to apologize when people go like "hey, yesterday I called you along the way but you didn't even turn!" "oh, sorry, I was listening to music and didn't even see you..." but when I am home and in the mood I do enjoy seeing the white JBL woofers to vibrate.
Two years ago I met a friend who's dad was a true (unlike me) hi-fi affectionate, unfortunately he passed away and my friend, knowing I have an old passion for hi-fi gear, asked me to help him get rid of some of the accumulated gear and when I went to check I couldn't make any different than to fall in love for some of that vintage gear, in a year time I helped him sell some of the stuff (he doesn't live in that house any longer and wanted to gather some money for his mum to better go through elder age with some extra cash) and made one of my teen age dreams come almost true, when I was a teen I had the venture to see an Oracle Delphi turntable on a magazine and it was love at first sight, back then it used to cost more than a motorcycle and this latter one was above the turntable in my desires list so I gave up but love never fades; at this friend's place there was a marvelous Michell Gyrodec and I laid my eyes on it and a year later it became mine along with an AR SP-9 preamp which took place of the little Adcom; does it sound better? I don't know and I don't mind, it's so nice to look at that sounding or not makes me feel good...
Another year passed by and I also got another almost vintage piece of gear, a tube amp, a Chinese well kept KT88 push pull which is now coupled to the JBL4311b and the Audio Research, the spinning machine needs belt being replaced as well as pickup wires, I will get those as a xmas present so that the wait makes it even better and, let me tell you, when that thing spins my teen age 33rpm albums it's like physics being defeated and traveling back in time...
So, whilst waiting to add some more vintage stuff to my setup (yes, there is more I dream about but now I gotta make what I own work at it's potential with the space restrictions I have), I quit this quite long introduction and jump to some specific forum and thank you all in advance for the patience into reading my rants and into hosting me here.
Best
Giovanni