• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hello from the island of Guam, USA

Ariel,

If you could, I have a favor to ask of you.

Could you see if the apartments(condos) are still there on Tamuning dr just shy of Marine dr and take a pic of the place to your right after you enter the driveway.

I'm curious if my old apartment is still there. I used to live on the 2nd floor section that was near Tamuning dr but parallel with Marine dr.

It would be a cool trip back in time for me if you can.

Many thanks just for reading this.

Regards, Ron

There are lots of apartments and condos there now. Can you give me some landmarks? Is it passed the ITC building heading southbound (White building dead center of Tamuning)? The corner lot where Gibson's dept. store is a big mall now and some new office buildings in the area.

I'll be glad to take pics for you man. If you remember the street address..more better. Just message me here.

See ya,

Ariel
 
Welcome to AK!

I was stationed at the (NTCC) Naval Air Station Agana, Guam from 1977 to 1980.

I lived on Tamuning dr in the apartments that are now condos.

I too liked it there, I visited last (while on USS Blue Ridge) in 1983. By that time the island of Guam was becoming too commercial for my liking.

I especially liked going to the underground springs. If you know where that is, then you probably know that back when I was there you had to hike through private property to get there, but it was well worth the trip as it was truly the "fountain of youth"!!!

Also, Sella Seti bay (sp???) was great to look at tropical fish that were so colorful and the infamous coconut crabs and wild boars. I also knew another spring fed stream that had fresh water shrimp that would nip at your feet while you stood in the stream.

A lifetime of memories for sure.

Regards, Ron

Guam's still the same. Yeah, underground springs up north...I personally never been there but I heard it was nice. it's called "Marbo Caves"

Ceti bay park shrunk to just a cottage area. That whole beach front property near the park was purchased and there are houses there now. Even across the bay ,a large housing area community is being constructed there along the cliffside.

take care
 
From memory...

There are lots of apartments and condos there now. Can you give me some landmarks? Is it passed the ITC building heading southbound (White building dead center of Tamuning)? The corner lot where Gibson's dept. store is a big mall now and some new office buildings in the area.

I'll be glad to take pics for you man. If you remember the street address..more better. Just message me here.

See ya,

Ariel

I used to come down the hill from the airport side of NAS and turn left on Marine drive, then past the McDonalds on the right side and a little further down Marine drive I took a right turn on Tamuning drive and it was approx 100ft to 500ft on the right hand side. I wonder if they are gone by now??? From the back window of my apartment I could see Marine drive.

Last time I was there, across the street, there was either a pizza shop or a 7-11 type store. When I lived there it used to be the "Sanganew" bar run by Koreans with bands nightly. Of course when I was there 77-80 there were quite a few cool bars. There were some that had entertainment you did not tell your Mother about!!! LOL !!!

We used to laugh at the new guys when we took them to the bar and shrews and mice used to run across the dance floor, very large spiders would just walk around anywhere they wanted unafraid of people. They would jump up and yell! We told them to get used to it!

I also remember the flying cockroaches that were everywhere and "FEARLESS"! I also remember lizards that would terrorize the wild cats that did not know enough to let them alone. Even though they were not very large, they were fierce fighters.

I also remember when my 10 speed bike had a generator light(Base requirements) and I used it at night the wild dogs would come running.

Dogs on Guam ran wild more than they were pets, they were also a source of food! (tastes like chcken!!!).

Regards, Ron
 
Welcome to AK!

I was stationed on the USS Proteus from '77 - '80 and was welded to the pier at Polaris Point in Apra Harbor. Spent many a night on Marine Drive while I was there - the Varsity Club was the closest bar. I remember walking back to the ship at 4 in the morning alot of times.

I actually bought all of my Pioneer gear there before I got out in August of '80.

Heard it has really changed in the last 30 years. I'd like to go back sometime and check it out.
 
Last edited:
We probably were in the same bars together.....

Welcome to AK!

I was stationed on the USS Proteus from '77 - '80 and was welded to the pier at Polaris Point in Apra Harbor. Spent many a night on Marine Drive while I was there - the Varsity Club was the closest bar. I remember walking back to the ship at 4 in the morning alot of times.

I actually bought all of my Pioneer gear there before I got out in August of '80.

Heard it has really changed in the last 30 years. I'd like to go back sometime and check it out.

You were there the same time as me! Don't forget the times we crawled back to the ship/base or were carried back!!!

Regards, Ron
 
I used to come down the hill from the airport side of NAS and turn left on Marine drive, then past the McDonalds on the right side and a little further down Marine drive I took a right turn on Tamuning drive and it was approx 100ft to 500ft on the right hand side. I wonder if they are gone by now??? From the back window of my apartment I could see Marine drive.

Last time I was there, across the street, there was either a pizza shop or a 7-11 type store. When I lived there it used to be the "Sanganew" bar run by Koreans with bands nightly. Of course when I was there 77-80 there were quite a few cool bars. There were some that had entertainment you did not tell your Mother about!!! LOL !!!

We used to laugh at the new guys when we took them to the bar and shrews and mice used to run across the dance floor, very large spiders would just walk around anywhere they wanted unafraid of people. They would jump up and yell! We told them to get used to it!

I also remember the flying cockroaches that were everywhere and "FEARLESS"! I also remember lizards that would terrorize the wild cats that did not know enough to let them alone. Even though they were not very large, they were fierce fighters.

I also remember when my 10 speed bike had a generator light(Base requirements) and I used it at night the wild dogs would come running.

Dogs on Guam ran wild more than they were pets, they were also a source of food! (tastes like chcken!!!).

Regards, Ron

If you remember all of that then you didn't drink enough! :D
 
You were there the same time as me! Don't forget the times we crawled back to the ship/base or were carried back!!!

Regards, Ron

We usually hitched a ride to where the entrance to Polaris Point and Marine Drive intersected then walked past the marine check point and on to the ship. Remember the school buses that the USO used to drive up and down Marine Drive from one end of the island to the other? I remember we used to take our laundry all the way up to Anderson AFB just because we could buy beer and drink while we were doing it!
 
I used to come down the hill from the airport side of NAS and turn left on Marine drive, then past the McDonalds on the right side and a little further down Marine drive I took a right turn on Tamuning drive and it was approx 100ft to 500ft on the right hand side. I wonder if they are gone by now??? From the back window of my apartment I could see Marine drive.

Last time I was there, across the street, there was either a pizza shop or a 7-11 type store. When I lived there it used to be the "Sanganew" bar run by Koreans with bands nightly. Of course when I was there 77-80 there were quite a few cool bars. There were some that had entertainment you did not tell your Mother about!!! LOL !!!

We used to laugh at the new guys when we took them to the bar and shrews and mice used to run across the dance floor, very large spiders would just walk around anywhere they wanted unafraid of people. They would jump up and yell! We told them to get used to it!

I also remember the flying cockroaches that were everywhere and "FEARLESS"! I also remember lizards that would terrorize the wild cats that did not know enough to let them alone. Even though they were not very large, they were fierce fighters.

I also remember when my 10 speed bike had a generator light(Base requirements) and I used it at night the wild dogs would come running.

Dogs on Guam ran wild more than they were pets, they were also a source of food! (tastes like chcken!!!).

Regards, Ron

Howsit doin' man. I know the place. That ampartment complex is still there. There's a large outlet mall right across it now and a Ruby Tuesdays & Chilis too. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post it here.

As for the lizzards (geckos), cats and boonie dogs...they're all here still...just more of them. No dog catchers here so stray dogs are everywhere.

Military personel & families from Japan are moving here by 2012. I think they're expecting 80,000 or so comin in.

Oh, there's even a Hooter's here now.

Take care man.

-Ariel
 
Post up a picture or two for us of the island and your stereo, and yourself.

Welcome too.

Here's some pics:

DSC03422.jpg

DSC03436.jpg

DSC03421.jpg

Tumon.jpg
 
We usually hitched a ride to where the entrance to Polaris Point and Marine Drive intersected then walked past the marine check point and on to the ship. Remember the school buses that the USO used to drive up and down Marine Drive from one end of the island to the other? I remember we used to take our laundry all the way up to Anderson AFB just because we could buy beer and drink while we were doing it!

Sounds like you guys had a blast here. Guam is still the same except MORE BARS!

Tumon area and most of East Agana are filled w/ bars. Drinking age is still 18 so lots of young peeps everywhere. Japanese tourists are still everywhere...and more Koreans and Chinese tourist come over too.

There are more Micronesians, islanders from Chuck, Ponape, Yap & Palau, here too than before.

Thousands of US Marines from Japan are coming so strip joints & bars are gonna be jammed packed.


Have a good one.
 
Last edited:
Are there any birds on the island now? That one big ass typhoon came through in '75 I think and when I got there there wasn't a bird to be found on the island. And all of the homes along Marine Drive had stairs on the outside of the building going up to the roofs - they used to be 2 story but the typhoon blew the 2nd story off!

Here was my home for 3 1/2 years:
 

Attachments

  • proteus.jpg
    proteus.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 8
Are there any birds on the island now? That one big ass typhoon came through in '75 I think and when I got there there wasn't a bird to be found on the island. And all of the homes along Marine Drive had stairs on the outside of the building going up to the roofs - they used to be 2 story but the typhoon blew the 2nd story off!

Here was my home for 3 1/2 years:

Man,

I remember the Proteus. It was a submarine support ship right? Seen it a few times when it was here. Lots of subs here now...and bombers are flying again.

Guam was hit w/ big ass typhoons then. Typhoon Karen & Typhoon Pamela both hit in the 70s and really messed up the island. Luckily, no typhoons lately in the few years couple of years. A supertyphoon passed by north (150 miles north of Saipan) of us last week. Luckily, it spared us.

As for the birds, the pesty "Brown Tree" snakes are responsible for killing off the nice birds on island, not the typhoons. I killed two just the other night. There are birds around but just the plain ones...even they are very few.

For the houses. back in the 70s & 80s, most house were semi-concrete w/ tin roofing. Houses now are mostly 100% concrete and are typhoon proof. Only thing we worry about when typhoons hit are the windows breaking by flying debris and water entering the house. There are still tin roof houses but few.

Later man.
 
Well, way to go! And welcome to the forum. Your office is set up for audio much better than mine. I hope that you enjoy your tunes. :music:
 
I still spend a good 4 months a year on andersen with the B-52's. I have 16 months on the island allready. Maybe we can do some tradin next time i'm there. Welcome!!
 
Back
Top Bottom