joshuamc
New Member
I have an old realistic receiver that I use for the office, which, through a series of unlikely events now has a broken on/off/volume pot. The dial has shorn right off, the two metal prongs that hold the plastic knob broke off from the main shaft going into the pot.
I can turn the unit on with a flathead screwdriver right now, though it's getting kinda old. I'm conspiring with my dad on this one and the best we've come up with is to drill a small hole into the broken knob, put a piece of copper wire in, then run it up into the metal pieces that fit in the plastic part of the knob.
I'm wondering if anyone has a better fix than this. I'd be happy to pull out the pot, but I don't even begin to know where to look to get a replacement (and the soldering seems kinda daunting, but I'm game).
I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Josh


I can turn the unit on with a flathead screwdriver right now, though it's getting kinda old. I'm conspiring with my dad on this one and the best we've come up with is to drill a small hole into the broken knob, put a piece of copper wire in, then run it up into the metal pieces that fit in the plastic part of the knob.
I'm wondering if anyone has a better fix than this. I'd be happy to pull out the pot, but I don't even begin to know where to look to get a replacement (and the soldering seems kinda daunting, but I'm game).
I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Josh

