• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help Choosing My First Valve Preamp

Nikko75

Listener and Music Lover
Hello Everyone Out There!

I would like to learn more about valve technology and get feedback on what others have tried and found to work and sound well.

I was referred to the Bottlehead Foreplay III and it looks very nice. Any help is apreciated:banana:
 
Register to hide this ad
Bottlehead stuff is cost-effective and sounds very nice, as long as you don't mind slinging solder. There's a built-in support network, too, at the Bottlehead forum.

You might want to look at Bruce Rozenblits' "Grounded Grid" preamp kit, too.
http://www.transcendentsound.com/preamp kit.htm

There must be a Consonance tube preamp kit, as well.
 
Oh I did look at the Grounded Grid and like how there is no hiss or hum. It costs a bit more but not too much. Too bad they hide the tubes.Does the foreplay III hum or have any known bad traits?
 
I have a FP III that I built. It has no hum or hiss what-so-ever. It's a pretty nice kit, all you have to do is solder it and glue the wood base together. It comes with tubes and very nice instructions, too.
 
Great! What are the 3 controls for? i plan on using powered subs for the lowest harmonics.What is the preout level for subs, or it it the same as the pre out?
 
I would try to score a used Audio Research SP-6,SP-8, or SP-9. A little refresh and it would be a hard unit to beat for the money. They retain their value fairly well too. You can also check out Conrad Johnson, Counterpoint, etc

On the DIY side, check out the above mentioned Foreplay kits and the Mapletree Audio stuff.
 
I imagine that the current Foreplay, like the earlier versions, has separate volume control for the two channels and an input (source) selector. Thus three knobs :-)

The only "problem" with Doc Bottlehead's offerings is that they're all point-to-point. This is a good thing in many respects, but it does make his kits a little harder to build than a PCB-based kit. That being said, all of his offerings are fine products IMO and IME, especially at their modest price points. I have a pair of Paramour amps and a Seduction phono preamp, FWIW.

foreplay3_filtered.jpg

FPIIIkitunderside_filtered.jpg
 
Mark Deneen is a primo designer; a JuicyMusic kit would be well worth considering when/if it's available.

EDIT: I think that's the first time I've ever used the word "primo" with anything like a straight face!
 
mhardy6647 said:
I imagine that the current Foreplay, like the earlier versions, has separate volume control for the two channels and an input (source) selector. Thus three knobs :-)

The only "problem" with Doc Bottlehead's offerings is that they're all point-to-point. This is a good thing in many respects, but it does make his kits a little harder to build than a PCB-based kit. That being said, all of his offerings are fine products IMO and IME, especially at their modest price points. I have a pair of Paramour amps and a Seduction phono preamp, FWIW.

foreplay3_filtered.jpg

FPIIIkitunderside_filtered.jpg


That is a beaut !
 
The Clarinet seems quite nice; although I wish it didn't have transistors in it. Just on principle, of course :D
 
To be fair, the stock FP III has "transistors" in it too, in the form of it's diode rectification. (So does the stock diytube ST-35! But both the FP III and the DIYtube ST-35 are great products!)
 
I'm leaning toward the FP III right now based on price, looks great as a first DIY, good sound and it's easily available too. I plan on using super tweeters and later a subwoofer...fear a 60 cycles hum. No hum?:worried:

PS.Thanks everyone for your help. I've been taking down names of these preamps.
 
Hi Nikko75, what are those horns in your avatar? I'm guessing Italian or Danish? Those are beautiful. :thmbsp: I'm following your thread for future reference, in case I want to get another tube pre. I have an old Heathkit AA-11, & love it, but it would be cool to have something to compare it to. :music:
 
Those horns are Avantgarde Trio Classico Horns, and I believe they are german. Some say they sound terrible but they were never meant to be used in small rooms.
 
So does anyone know if I can use the valve preamp's output to supply a signal to powered subwoofers without a humm sound?:D
 
Squidward said:
To be fair, the stock FP III has "transistors" in it too, in the form of it's diode rectification. (So does the stock diytube ST-35! But both the FP III and the DIYtube ST-35 are great products!)

Agreed. However, those are easy to get rid of :thmbsp:
 
Nikko75 said:
So does anyone know if I can use the valve preamp's output to supply a signal to powered subwoofers without a humm sound?:D
If you meant the Bottlehead FP3 it will be no problem. I have a sub hoked up to mine and I don't have any problems with hum or ground loops etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom