• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help Choosing My First Valve Preamp

Bottlehead FP III it is then.:yes: It'll be a while before I'm able to order it due to school. I look forward to this!
 
Nikko75 said:
How long does a tube last?
Preamp tubes last a long time (years) and it varies by how many hours per day the equipment is used. In 2 years I haven't had to replace a preamp tube.
Nikko75 said:
Any do's and do not's I need to be aware of?
Don't touch the tubes when they are on.
 
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for a while, and only recently registered as a member. Since I built a Diytube ST35 almost 3 years ago, I thought I will chime in with my 2c.

Nikko: Roy Mottram over at http://www.tubes4hifi.com/home.htm used to supply full Diytube ST35 kits. I am not sure he does it any more.

Uncle Ned (who used to be with Triode Electronics) sells the Diytube ST35 PCB complete with all parts required to stuff it (except the tubes). http://www.tubezone.us/servlet/the-59/Stereo-35-ST35-DIYtube/Detail.

Transformers - Dynaclones from Triode or Hammond

Chassis - Check http://www.soundtastick.com/product/DIYTUBEST35CHASSIS. For an additional $22 or so, Joe will sell you a pack that includes the RCA connectors, speaker jacks etc that should complete your kit.

Tubes you can get at Triode too. Average cost should be US$450 or so. Less if you can scrounge iron off an old ST35 or other similar vintage amp.

Good luck. The people at the DIYTUBE forum are very helpful and you can ask your questions there too.

Regards,

Ashok
 
Thanks ashok! The price from Uncle Ned is great and thats the majority of the parts. Does the board of the Dynaco and DIYtube versions line up the same under the chassis?
 
Nikko75 said:
Thanks ashok! The price from Uncle Ned is great and thats the majority of the parts. Does the board of the Dynaco and DIYtube versions line up the same under the chassis?

I know that the DIYTUBE ST-35 board fits in the Soundtastick chassis. The chassis was designed with the DIYTUBE board as the template. A number of people on the DIYTUBE forum have used the Soundtastick chassis to build their ST-35.

Not sure about the original Dynaco ST-35, if that is what you mean.

Ashok
 
Yeah I think I'd get the DIYtube version since I know it will work with the chassis and is easier to purchase
 
Back
Top Bottom