hallogallo
New Member
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone might be able to help. I’ve just picked up my new (to me) Thorens TD-125 Mk2 and am looking to install a Denon DL-110 cartridge on to the TP-16 mk1 arm / TP-60 headshell later next week. Here she is!

The arm/headshell on the table I picked up is currently without cartridge and, in the current TP-60 headshell that is on the arm, it also looks as though there is a cartridge connection lead / headshell wire missing (there are only 3: red, white and blue). There are two screws present, but no washers or nuts or the like.
There is also an 2nd empty spare Tp-60 headshell (with no wires or screws or anything) Here they are below:


Regarding the upcoming installation, and being a relative novice, I was hoping to just double-check on the following before potentially falling afoul while trying to mount the cart! Some of these are very rookie questions, so please bear with my ignorance, as this is all pretty new to me…
1. I am assuming it would be best for me to just purchase 4 new headshell wires (red, white, blue and green). Would anyone happen to know a recommended source for these? I am in the UK (London)
2. If I go ahead and replace the headshell wires with a new set, do I need to solder them to the terminal pins (I read in the TD-125 Instruction Manual that ‘four separate colour coded leads are already soldered to the terminal pins in the shell’). Before reading this, I was presuming that these wires would just be pushed/clipped to the terminal pins (as they would on the cartridge on the other side) - am I mistaken in this and these will need to be soldered to the TP-60 headshell terminal pin end? Seems unlikely to me and, from a quick glance, the current 3 don’t appear to be soldered on.
3. There are 2 spare screws in the main headshell. As I understand it, due to the design of the TP-60 headshell, I will have to use these Thorens screws as opposed to any that might come with the Denon DL-110 cart as they are a slightly different size (unless I mod the headshell, which I’m going to avoid for the minute if I can).
With this in mind, would I be advised to purchase an M2 screw kit of differing length screws ahead of receiving the cart?
4. I read somewhere that washers/nuts etc are not required when mounting a cartridge to the TP-60 headshell as the screws just screw under / into the headshell. Is this correct?
5. I think I remember hearing that The VTA setting of the Thorens doesn't go low enough for Denon carts and that you need a spacer. Is anyone able to confirm if this is the case? Apparently the DL110 comes with a 3g spacer / weight, so I suppose that is the solution if so?
6. I have ordered a replica of the Thorens Cartridge Alignment Gauge to help with aligning the cartridge. This might take a while to arrive though, in the interim does anyone know the best / recommended alignment protractor for the TD-125 / TP-16 mk 1 / TP-60?
If anyone familiar with this set-up has any other words of wisdom, warnings or helpful tips before I tackle this tonearm/headshell/cartridge, do let me know!
Thanks so much if anyone is able to help, it’s hugely appreciated!
The arm/headshell on the table I picked up is currently without cartridge and, in the current TP-60 headshell that is on the arm, it also looks as though there is a cartridge connection lead / headshell wire missing (there are only 3: red, white and blue). There are two screws present, but no washers or nuts or the like.
There is also an 2nd empty spare Tp-60 headshell (with no wires or screws or anything) Here they are below:
Regarding the upcoming installation, and being a relative novice, I was hoping to just double-check on the following before potentially falling afoul while trying to mount the cart! Some of these are very rookie questions, so please bear with my ignorance, as this is all pretty new to me…
1. I am assuming it would be best for me to just purchase 4 new headshell wires (red, white, blue and green). Would anyone happen to know a recommended source for these? I am in the UK (London)
2. If I go ahead and replace the headshell wires with a new set, do I need to solder them to the terminal pins (I read in the TD-125 Instruction Manual that ‘four separate colour coded leads are already soldered to the terminal pins in the shell’). Before reading this, I was presuming that these wires would just be pushed/clipped to the terminal pins (as they would on the cartridge on the other side) - am I mistaken in this and these will need to be soldered to the TP-60 headshell terminal pin end? Seems unlikely to me and, from a quick glance, the current 3 don’t appear to be soldered on.
3. There are 2 spare screws in the main headshell. As I understand it, due to the design of the TP-60 headshell, I will have to use these Thorens screws as opposed to any that might come with the Denon DL-110 cart as they are a slightly different size (unless I mod the headshell, which I’m going to avoid for the minute if I can).
With this in mind, would I be advised to purchase an M2 screw kit of differing length screws ahead of receiving the cart?
4. I read somewhere that washers/nuts etc are not required when mounting a cartridge to the TP-60 headshell as the screws just screw under / into the headshell. Is this correct?
5. I think I remember hearing that The VTA setting of the Thorens doesn't go low enough for Denon carts and that you need a spacer. Is anyone able to confirm if this is the case? Apparently the DL110 comes with a 3g spacer / weight, so I suppose that is the solution if so?
6. I have ordered a replica of the Thorens Cartridge Alignment Gauge to help with aligning the cartridge. This might take a while to arrive though, in the interim does anyone know the best / recommended alignment protractor for the TD-125 / TP-16 mk 1 / TP-60?
If anyone familiar with this set-up has any other words of wisdom, warnings or helpful tips before I tackle this tonearm/headshell/cartridge, do let me know!
Thanks so much if anyone is able to help, it’s hugely appreciated!