• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help needed: Empire 698 needs repaired

How’d you find that LesE?

The 698, when compared to the 598 is very troublesome. Weak plastic components. TA rest and cartridge mount and headshell. The cueing is a problem that is a challenge to resolve and very common. At one point I had interest in a 698 but the more I learned the less interest I had. I’d still take one if it fell in my lap but decided the 598 was the choice of the Empire lineup.
I bookmarked that old thread several years ago thinking that the information may be useful at some point in the future.

As for the 698, yes it has its weaknesses. As I'm sure you know, their intention with the headshell mount arrangement was to reduce effective mass and they were successful in that regard. Unfortunately, it didn't stand the test of time. I believe that the key is to tighten the collar no more than required to make good electrical contact. Tightening any more than that risks snapping off the plastic mount.

The cueing does tend to become gunked up but it's usually not too hard to correct. When not used for a while, my 698 cueing is very slow but cycling it up and down a few time is usually all it needs. One day I'll open it up and tend to it properly. The controls are also fairly straightforward. The one CMOS device is still available today. When working properly, the 698 cueing is as gentle as any that I have used. The end of record lift also works very well although it can be a little finicky to set up.

So yes, the 698 is somewhat fragile but with gentle use, it can be relatively trouble free.
 
Did you purchase your belt from Esoteric Sound? Their belt is the only one that will result in correct speed. The generic belts are too thick which will cause the turntable speed to be fast.


https://www.esotericsound.com/access.htm
Hey, just wanted to let you know that The belt I got from Esoteric Sound did the trick !!!! I put it on and with just a very minor turn of the screw I got 33.33 RPM. I'm amazed that this belt did what the other new belt didn't. Thanks for putting me on the right road. Now I'm tackling the cueing problem, but at least I can manually cue and listen to my vinyl.
 
Completing the above statement .....That was a garbage response regarding the Synchronus motors. Before Technics all the motors were synchronus it just depended on if you wanted a rim drive (Dual or Garrard,Benjamin Miracord Elac) or belt (Empire, AR, Thorens, Lenco). The Miracord and the Empire uses Pabst Synchronus motors.

His problem is the belt and/or motor mounts. He didn't buy it from Esoteric Sound. And he may need Lord motor mounts.
 
I ended up using 600k weight R/C oil, from a hobby store
Hey Bolero, i just wanted to say "THANKS !!" and let you know that I've got the cueing on my 698 working like it did 40 years ago! I took some alcohol and cleaned the exposed part of the piston then I put a tiny bit of 600k r/c oil on it and queued it up and down several times. It was working pretty good except that it was still slightly sticking at the top so I adjusted the up cueing a little and that did the trick. I'm very thankful that I didn't have to disassemble the unit. Thanks again!
 
How's it coming along?? Hope you don't give up, those are really special.
Hey, just wanted to let you know that I finally got my 698 working like it did 40 years ago. got a new belt from Esoteric - that took care of the speed issue and cleaned the piston and applied a little 600k r/c oil on it and that solved the cuing issue. I'm happier now that I was when I bought this back in the 70s.
 
Hey Bolero, i just wanted to say "THANKS !!" and let you know that I've got the cueing on my 698 working like it did 40 years ago! I took some alcohol and cleaned the exposed part of the piston then I put a tiny bit of 600k r/c oil on it and queued it up and down several times. It was working pretty good except that it was still slightly sticking at the top so I adjusted the up cueing a little and that did the trick. I'm very thankful that I didn't have to disassemble the unit. Thanks again!
That is good to hear!! You are very welcome, glad I could help
 
Back
Top Bottom