• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help needed with Michell GYRO Dec Project

You may have seen that I have an Alexandria in for repair so I may have a spare suitable motor is around.

By the way, sorry, of course you told us about that Alex over in the other thread some weeks ago. Do you mean you have little hope of getting it fixed?
 
You could easily make a PSU for that motor using stuff you might have lying around.

Drive a small 120/240 volt twin tapped primary transformer in reverse with a 50Hz sine and using an old integrated amplifier driving the secondary. The 2 phases will come from the primary CT and the voltage can be set by gradually increasing the volume until you reach the correct operating voltage for the motor (24v?).

The bonus would be you could select any speed by varying your sine wave frequency.

A couple of flyback diodes on the output transistors in the old amp for good measure.
 
You could easily make a PSU for that motor using stuff you might have lying around.

Drive a small 120/240 volt twin tapped primary transformer in reverse with a 50Hz sine and using an old integrated amplifier driving the secondary. The 2 phases will come from the primary CT and the voltage can be set by gradually increasing the volume until you reach the correct operating voltage for the motor (24v?).

The bonus would be you could select any speed by varying your sine wave frequency.

A couple of flyback diodes on the output transistors in the old amp for good measure.

Thanks John
 
You are in the US on 60Hz correct? That's why the suggestion of a variable frequency drive. It will 'sync' to whatever you feed it- within reason. You may have to recalculate the capacitor value slightly or remove it alogether.

I would definitely experiment with that before parting it out or splashing out on an overpriced DC motor arrangement.

At a pinch, you could tweak an old cassette deck motor (like a mabuchi EG-500xx series running in the correct rotation CW or CCW). They have a variable speed and usually run around 2400 rpm, but you can slow them right down and still retain full servo characteristics.
 
Some years ago I was collecting parts for a DIY turntable that never came to be. I found a nice DC motor and brass pulley in a VCR. So that might be another possibility for you. Plenty of $5 VCRs in thrift stores. Not sure how silent those motors are in operation, though.

As for the Alexandria, from what you showed us in the Oracle thread, it seemed much closer to functional than the Michell. We'd love to hear an update over there and see if we can help make it happen.
 
The Gyro is a lovely deck and deserves far better than being bodged with a $5 VCR motor.

Why not just buy the latest specification DC motor and PSU as an upgrade? It's available as a complete kit and just drops into the old motor housing. Yes, its $595 but it's worth it.
 
Hi Descartridge,
I just acquired a Gyro Dec. It came with some extra parts. I have three brass spring covers, three aluminum spring basees and an AC power supply. Pics attached. I also have two bearings w/spindles, one threaded one not (not pictured). If any of these parts would be helpful to you PM me with a reasonable offer and the're yours.
PS: the seller still has a Zeta arm and I also have the Zeta armboard that Dave at Artech told me also fits the Linn Itock and others that he couldn't remember. I'm going back to see the seller tomorrow. I recall seeing feet in his parts drawer. I'll get them and send you pics of them too. The one I have has, I think, aftermarket spiked feet. If anyone knows anything about these feet I'd love to hear from you. This seller acquired this deck when he lived in England.
I also got the original platter which I'm going to use as a stacked platter on my DIY Lenco, so I also have no use for the original six brass platter supports.
Robbie
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0859.JPG
    IMG_0859.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0861.JPG
    IMG_0861.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0812.JPG
    IMG_0812.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0847.JPG
    IMG_0847.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 16
BTW, don't give up on it. This one sounds wonderful! It has a Graham 2.2 arm with a Lyra Helikos cart that I'm running through a Acoustech PH-1 phono preamp I also got from him.
 
Back
Top Bottom