• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help Please

tipo

New Member
Hi there recently got given a Onkyo reciever TX904 have a good collection of LPs at home plus a SLB 20 turntable, so thought about buying some speakers.First of all dont even know if I can connect a subwoofer to it as it only has 4 speaker connections on it, but was thinking of a 2.1 setup with a couple of shelf speakers like the wharfedale diamonds and a yamaha sub all in about £300 or a bose system same thing around £500.I would appreciate any help with speakers and the hook up.
Cheers Tipo
 
Register to hide this ad
Connect your pair of bookshelf speakers to the "A" left & right speaker terminals of the Onkyo. Give us more info on your sub. Does it have line level inputs? High level inputs? Passive?

Most subs can be used with either speaker levels or line levels depending on the options or sub woofer you happen to own.
 
It sounds like you haven’t decided on what speakers you’d like.
The only way to determine that is to use your ears and listen.
As far as a subwoofer goes you’ll require an active one (with an internal amplifier).

While the Bose speakers have their fans by and large I’d say the concencious here is that they are overpriced and more marketing (lifestyle) than performance/bang-for-your-buck orientated.
 
Connect your pair of bookshelf speakers to the "A" left & right speaker terminals of the Onkyo. Give us more info on your sub. Does it have line level inputs? High level inputs? Passive?

Most subs can be used with either speaker levels or line levels depending on the options or sub woofer you happen to own.
Hi the Sub is a
Yamaha NSSW100 Powered Subwoofer with 10" Driver with a singel input and on/off and volume. Hope that helps
 
Your sub is designed for a home theatre with a LFE (Low Frequency Effects) input - a single input for a LFE signal from a home theater amplifier. It has no provision for varying the crossover frequency, so it relies on the amplifier for that adjustability. It is not suitable for use in a two-channel, stereo system.

I'd get some decent small speakers such as Wharfedales or Elacs that are satisfying to you without a sub. You can always a a proper sub later.
 
Last edited:
Hi guys thanks for your comments,well I might just go with four Wharfedales and see how it sounds.
 
Ok, although it is for a home theater receiver with limited low frequency abilities, you can still try it and see how it sounds to your ears by connecting one RCA patchcord from either channel TAPE OUT or REC OUT of the Onkyo to the input on the sub. Control the sub volume control as necessary.

Mind you that because your sub is mono, this connection will only give you either left or right channels to the sub but not both since you would only be using either left tape out or right tape out. Do not use a Y adapter here as it would cause your entire system to go mono.
 
Ok, although it is for a home theater receiver with limited low frequency abilities, you can still try it and see how it sounds to your ears by connecting one RCA patchcord from either channel TAPE OUT or REC OUT of the Onkyo to the input on the sub. Control the sub volume control as necessary.

Mind you that because your sub is mono, this connection will only give you either left or right channels to the sub but not both since you would only be using either left tape out or right tape out. Do not use a Y adapter here as it would cause your entire system to go mono.
With this type of connection the sub will not follow the volume control and will require lengthy balancing of the outputs each and every time the volume is adjusted, this really isn't a feasible solution.
 
Elac DEBUT S10 (Black) ok found this would it work
Yes that sub will work if your amplifier has pre outs, otherwise no. With many receivers the only feasible method is connecting the sub to the high level speaker outputs so best to look for one incorporating these, like the Dayton I pictured. There are more but the Dayton is really great for the money, I have two of the earlier discontinued version. I also have a sub that was $2000 in 1991 dollars and sure it's better, but at 15X the price it damn well better be lol. But I assure you the 12" Dayton will be perfect for your needs.
 
With this type of connection the sub will not follow the volume control and will require lengthy balancing of the outputs each and every time the volume is adjusted, this really isn't a feasible solution.

Never said it was. Plus I already mentioned that he would have to adjust the volume on the sub as necessary.
Control the sub volume control as necessary.

No, it is not a feasible solution but it would give him an idea of something with what he already has. Of course the proper sub is the solution. Duh!
 
Never said it was. Plus I already mentioned that he would have to adjust the volume on the sub as necessary.


No, it is not a feasible solution but it would give him an idea of something with what he already has. Of course the proper sub is the solution. Duh!
Suggesting such a connection to someone already confused about connecting a sub is ill advised at best. The OP doesn't have a sub currently, let's stear him in the right direction to purchase what he actually needs.
 
Last edited:
Its not ill advised! Its a suggestion for something he already has (I also thought he already had this sub) and maybe wants to see how it sounds. It will not cause any pain, shorts, damage or other issues in any way, shape or form.

I own a few sub woofers, two powered and one not. One of my powered ones is a Sony single input sub to be used with the Sony surround receiver with the sub output but the receiver shorted and died so I kept the sub to play with. I use it sometimes with my other two channel systems the way cademan described and works fine for me but I do know that this is not the proper use for this particular sub.

I believe that cademan was just interjecting something that would work in a pinch such as not having the correct sub in said possession.

I have had stuff repaired by cademan in the past and he knows his stuff. You should see his house.
 
The TX-904 is an unusual receiver in that it used more of that big chip to do different things. Why I don't know.

The Main speakers get the 60wpc amp and the rear speakers have a 12 wpc amp hooked up to them. The receiver will allow a different source to be play on these two sets of speakers. I haven't used the 904 in a while and would need to revisit the OM (avail on HiFiEngine) to say much more.

A sub with speaker level inputs for both left and right and speaker outputs would be easy to hook up to the Main speakers. This would take the speaker signal from the receiver pull out the sub signal an use it and sent the rest to the main speakers. a 2.1 system.
 
Thanks Tek! Yeah, I wasn't sure if the OP already had that sub so my suggestion was legit for using it with what he had and not a permanent use or fix!
 
OK guys thanks for your help.Now could I run four speakers and a sub or would that lower the ohms to much,this is a man of very little knowledge bar the few bits Iv'e read in the manual and the internet.You know what they say a little knowledge is dangerous lol Cheers Tipo.
P.S. I will probably go with the four speakers first and add on as I see fit.
 
OK guys thanks for your help.Now could I run four speakers and a sub or would that lower the ohms to much,this is a man of very little knowledge bar the few bits Iv'e read in the manual and the internet.You know what they say a little knowledge is dangerous lol Cheers Tipo.
P.S. I will probably go with the four speakers first and add on as I see fit.
As long as the speakers are 8 ohm you're most likely OK.
 
Its not ill advised! Its a suggestion for something he already has (I also thought he already had this sub) and maybe wants to see how it sounds. It will not cause any pain, shorts, damage or other issues in any way, shape or form.

I own a few sub woofers, two powered and one not. One of my powered ones is a Sony single input sub to be used with the Sony surround receiver with the sub output but the receiver shorted and died so I kept the sub to play with. I use it sometimes with my other two channel systems the way cademan described and works fine for me but I do know that this is not the proper use for this particular sub.

I believe that cademan was just interjecting something that would work in a pinch such as not having the correct sub in said possession.

I have had stuff repaired by cademan in the past and he knows his stuff. You should see his house.

I never said it would harm anything, but why confuse the issue, the OP was already confused.

First his recommendation leaves only one channel powering the sub, many older albums (the Beatles) have the bass in only one channel so which one to pick? Second the sub has to be adjusted every time the volume is adjusted, this is ridiculous. Balancing the sub to the speakers can take many listening sessions over days or even weeks to get correct, and you think it's a good idea to suggest this?

There are so many subs that will work perfectly for the OP, suggesting it's ok to purchase the sub he asked about "is" ill advised.
 
Back
Top Bottom