• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help! Revox or Teac R2R?

So a Revox is a lot like the guts out of a old tube console stereo. Not pretty but sounds good.

Why can't we have both though? I happen to think the Revox A700 is a very attractive machine.
The revoxes definitely grow on you. I have never cared for Revoxes cosmetics personally. But after running one, my ears were so pleased that I stopped caring about the cosmetics very much, and started liking it more and more.

The A700 is a superb machine by all accounts. But they are rare, and require an immediate rebuild to work at all.

But, since you asked, my personal favorite 1/4 track consumer machine is th Sony TC-765. It is stunningly beautiful, built like a tank, and is cable of a level of performance that is at least equal to the Revox, and it has a some very useful features including a 9-position tape selector swich on the front pannel, and some very long lasting F&F heads, as well as some of the best W&F performance of any machine ever made.

Another consumer machine that I really like is the Tandberg TD-20A, and the TD-20A SE. Both are superb performers (even better that the A77 or B77), and look cool to my eye. But unlike the Revoxes, these are very fragile, and require TLC, plus parts are difficult to come by in the US (although apparently parts are easy to find in Norway, from what I understand).
 
Last edited:
The ReVox is overall a better, cleaner, more sophisticated machine. The capstan motor and all that is higher tech. The Revox will likely have more extended, smoother frequency response when the heads are new.

However, it seems like the Revox heads wear quicker for equivalent hours on them. The Revox heads are less forgiving of cuts in the heads and are more prone to cupping (where the tape head contact is intermittent). It may be because the Revox's have a larger radius across the face of the heads, compared to TEAC's apex shape.
This was called hyperbolic heads, because it follows a hyperbolic curve.
 
TEACs are the creme-de-la-creme when it comes to reliability, durability and longevity. They perform well too (on a side-note). Everything else just looks pretty (including the Revox which I think is an exceptionally good-looking machine and I don't understand the knocks here on the visuals...).
 
To each his own. I love the way that Revoxes perform, but for whatever reason, they have simply never been visually atractive to me.

And I will agree that most of the A-Series Teacs are just as bullet-proof as are the Revoxes (x-Series, not so much), even if the Revoxes sound better.
 
Last edited:
What's so bad looking about this?
C270-01.gif
 
What's so bad looking about this?
C270-01.gif
Nothing. I was referring to my little grey A77. The C-270 is one of Revox's best looking machines IMO. Although I must say that the aluminium rack ears really help to round-out the look that machine and make it look better than it does without them. And the aluminum NAB adapters are definite eye-candy when mounted on any R2R.

I've simply never cared for the grey plastic pannels and headblock, the tiny VU meters and also the squat look of the A77. I like slightly the B77 better (cosmetically) since it is taller, has larger VU meters, and has a more attractive headblock. But it still is still dominated by the same ugly grey plastic and is still not exactly beautiful to my eyes, even if it looks better than the A77.

This is all just a matter of taste; so please don't take offence at mine! I'm glad that some of you apprently enjoy the looks of Revoxes. I really enjoy the sound of revoxes, but have always found the looks to be a tad more industrial than I prefer.

FWIW: Here is a link with a few pictures of what I consider to be one of the most beautiful looking (and sounding) R2Rs ever made: http://www.allegrosound.com/Sony_TC-880-2_AllegroSound.html (no affiliation)
 
Last edited:
I'll stick to this one. Still my favorite machine.

Say... how do you re-post a picture that's in another thread? It won't let me upload my own machine because
I already posted it. :scratch2:

Marc
 

Attachments

  • [009584].jpg
    [009584].jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I'll stick to this one. Still my favorite machine.

Say... how do you re-post a picture that's in another thread? It won't let me upload my own machine because
I already posted it. :scratch2:

Marc

If you right click on the picture and select "copy photo location" then go to the new thread and click on "insert Image" and paste the information, that should work.
 
I'll stick with the A series Teac's. To my eye.. drop dead gorgeous, reliable and parts availability is surprisingly still good and inexpensive. Plus parts and service are still available here in the states, not overseas. Also, there are a gazillion doner Teac decks to be had for cheap if something rare or unobtaniunm goes bad. They all share a lot of the same parts..even the Tascams

The initial purchase price for say a A3300S is around 2-300 shipped for a real nice deck the 300 high end being for a sweet 2 track model. For another 2 bills you can have the maintenance work done and provided the heads aren't crap ( a risk on any used open reel, dont let 'em fool ya) you should be good for another 10-20 years of moderate home use. Of course if your looking for a studio workhorse all bets are off, with the exception of a high end Studer or Revox. There are other's both newer and vintage, but the prices multiply exponentially with studio gear as does the price of parts, service and difficulty of use and calibration.

Go with the Teac/Tascam... for the bang for the buck, you'll be glad you did.

As far as sonics, I use all 3 of mine with McIntosh (new) and Marantz (vintage) gear. If there are sonic issues or shortcomings, I've yet to hear them in 35 years, starting with the lowly A2300S up to the A3340S and mighty X1000RBL. I'm happy to say I still have all 3 having bought the A2300S and the X1000RBL new, the A3340S inherited.

The only thing besides belts I have replaced is a capstan motor for 135 dollars on the X 1000 10 years ago and it was almost 20 years old at the time, and it was so simple I did it myself. I'm sure all 3 need a bit of sonic calibration to be 100% dead on specs, but with the oldest (A2300S) going on 35 years old, show me a deck that doesn't. :yes:

This is all in my humble opinion. To each his or her own.:thmbsp:


Peace,

Phil
 
So a Revox is a lot like the guts out of a old tube console stereo. Not pretty but sounds good.

Why can't we have both though? I happen to think the Revox A700 is a very attractive machine.

I don't know what an A700 is, but if you want good sound AND pretty, get a Pioneer RT909 :D
 
I remember that image well. I drooled over those sorts of catalogs as a kid. And even though I appreciated how Revox made all of their components match each-other, I have simply never found it to be an appealing look. So to each his own I guess...
 
Last edited:
Revox gets my vote.
When I compare the sound quality to the Teac, Akai, Technics, Tandberg, Fostex - IMO, the Revox is the better performer. I do agree that a Revox is extremely plain and boring as far as the looks department but I will take build and sound quality over looks. Not meaning to be offensive to anyone, that is just my two bits. Enjoy your search and welcome to the world of reel-to-reel machines, as they are an absolute wonderful addition to any system. I do not know how to explain it but somehow watching those reels turn makes listening quite a bit more enjoyable.
 
Revox gets my vote.
When I compare the sound quality to the Teac, Akai, Technics, Tandberg, Fostex - IMO, the Revox is the better performer. I do agree that a Revox is extremely plain and boring as far as the looks department but I will take build and sound quality over looks. Not meaning to be offensive to anyone, that is just my two bits. Enjoy your search and welcome to the world of reel-to-reel machines, as they are an absolute wonderful addition to any system. I do not know how to explain it but somehow watching those reels turn makes listening quite a bit more enjoyable.
I'll agree with most of your assesment, but with one exception: I think that the Tandberg TD-20A sounds slightly better than either the A77 or B77. But I'm not sure how it compares to the A700, and some of its higher-end and newer siblings.
 
Frankly, I doubt the build-quality of a Teac can be beaten but I don't actually own a Revox so I can't make any comparison sound-wise. My Teac sounds damn good though!

I do not know how to explain it but somehow watching those reels turn makes listening quite a bit more enjoyable.

That's about the size of it. If R2R decks weren't so goddamn beautiful, I wouldn't be bothering with the format at all. It's just a lucky coincidence that they also sound great!!
 
Fortycoats, that picture you posted of the "row of revoxs" looks like an advertising accident to me. When i fist saw it i thought, Why would anyone place a row of plain components in front of a nice R2R? The tape deck looks like it is sitting behind the components in front.

In any case, i've just never found the A or B77 units to be attractive at all. To me they look like an early 60's era portable unit. Just another generic plastic tape deck. If i had never read about them on here, i probably wouldn't pay one any mind if i had found one out thrifting. Now units like the A700 i mentioned earlier, or that C270 and that Struder, those look top quality and very attractive. I guess beauty comes in all shapes and sizes right?

I don't know what an A700 is, but if you want good sound AND pretty, get a Pioneer RT909 :D

Well Beans, guess what? A Pioneer RT 909 is exactly the unit i am rebuilding right now. Got mine for free, can't beat that no matter who made it!
 
"I am looking at either a one-owner in good cosmetic and functioning shape TEAC 1250S deck for $100 or a reconditioned Revox A77 mkIV for $600. I will not be playing this through our main system but mostly using it for some recording of our live music out here and frankly to own the one source component type I currently don't have to play music (and record)."

This was my original post and still is the direction I am heading. The other chioces that have been tenured here are not currently available, but I can let these decks go and continue to seek some others? The money is not the big issue, though we all certanly wish to feel we got a good deal. I am planning on only owning the one deck, thus I wish it to be a good example of what the R2R format has to offer and combine reliability and sound. Looks are great but this is about the music! :music:

Still worried about watching those reels go round and round!
 
I love both decks but would take the ReVox A or B 77 as a deck I can maintain much easier by myself. Everything critical is easily accessed for maintenance. Cleaning heads is a little more difficult but OK once learned. The Tandberg TD 20 A is nice when new but not a deck I want when reliability is needed under frequent usage. And parts are getting scarce outside of Scandinavia. Teac X series and Tascams with the same transport are on my avoid list. That flimsy capstan motor is a design failure.
 
Back
Top Bottom