• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help! Revox or Teac R2R?

And of course, if you want something that plays both formats, and is built like a tank.... Otari MX-5050BII or BIII.

Marc
 
Fortycoats, that picture you posted of the "row of revoxs" looks like an advertising accident to me. When i fist saw it i thought, Why would anyone place a row of plain components in front of a nice R2R? The tape deck looks like it is sitting behind the components in front.

Not to me but, like you say, all shapes and sizes (aka "to each his own"). Personally, I like uniformity and in this particular case, it's all about the system. The C270 and the Studer most certainly do look beautiful (and top quality, of course) but they have nothing to go with, nothing to accompany them, visually. I like the little bit extra you get when you can have matching units laid out side by side and Revox are one of the only manufacturers that obviously designed their units to be able to do that. If your system can be successfully laid out horizontally as well as vertically, then not only do the heights and widths have to be equal on all components (and in the case of the tape deck, obviously only the front bezel as, otherwise, it could never have fitted) but the knob and switch layout has to work together in both directions also. That aluminium strip across the top of Revox units was clearly meant to aid the sideways layout, while remaining compatible with the vertical "stack" format. The latter, the norm, is something I really don't care for -- yes, that includes the Pioneer SPEC rack, although I do like the look of the individual components in that case (*without* rack handles, I must say -- those look too industrial for me and I don't want a laboratory in my living room). Basically, long and low buildings always look better than skyscrapers... to me. As for the tape deck looking like it is behind the other components, well, only without the reels mounted and I think *all* reel-to-reel decks look silly without their reels. Looks ain't everything though, as we all know, and this is just a, maybe interesting, maybe silly, but hopefully fun, diversion into the less practical/performance-related side of things!
 
I'm not sure I quite understand all the talk about looks. Personally, I think all RTR's are sexy as hell. There's just something about those big reels spinning and all the controls that does it for me. You can't beat them for great sound as well. I suppose you can say that there are better looking machines than the A-77, but imho it still looks great and just sounds amaizing. I've only had 4 decks, 5 if you count the A-77 mkII part deck I have.

A-77 mkIV
Teac X-1000R
Akai GX-646
Technics RS-1500US


I would have kept them all, but family issues meant that I could only have one. When it came down to it, I thought the RS-1500 sounded just a little better than the A-77. So I sold the A-77 (Considering the feeding frenzy that occured when I sold it, I probably made a mistake). Of course the fact that the RS-1500 is just so damned sexy I couldn't part with it might have had some influence.

I haven't heard the Teac 1250, but I felt that the A-77 was a better sounding deck than the X-1000R by a noticable margin and you would have a hard time finding a better sounding consumer deck period. Whether you like the looks or not, it just sounds so good, that's what I would go with. With all of the A-77s out there you should always be able to find parts as well. They are also easy to work on if you are so inclined. The only problem I would have would be the $600 price tag.

I hope you find what you're looking for.
 
Last edited:
Not to me but, like you say, all shapes and sizes (aka "to each his own"). Personally, I like uniformity and in this particular case, it's all about the system. The C270 and the Studer most certainly do look beautiful (and top quality, of course) but they have nothing to go with, nothing to accompany them, visually. I like the little bit extra you get when you can have matching units laid out side by side and Revox are one of the only manufacturers that obviously designed their units to be able to do that. If your system can be successfully laid out horizontally as well as vertically, then not only do the heights and widths have to be equal on all components (and in the case of the tape deck, obviously only the front bezel as, otherwise, it could never have fitted) but the knob and switch layout has to work together in both directions also. That aluminium strip across the top of Revox units was clearly meant to aid the sideways layout, while remaining compatible with the vertical "stack" format. The latter, the norm, is something I really don't care for -- yes, that includes the Pioneer SPEC rack, although I do like the look of the individual components in that case (*without* rack handles, I must say -- those look too industrial for me and I don't want a laboratory in my living room). Basically, long and low buildings always look better than skyscrapers... to me. As for the tape deck looking like it is behind the other components, well, only without the reels mounted and I think *all* reel-to-reel decks look silly without their reels. Looks ain't everything though, as we all know, and this is just a, maybe interesting, maybe silly, but hopefully fun, diversion into the less practical/performance-related side of things!

Something like this, maybe? My matching early "B" system.

Marc
 

Attachments

  • DSC04498.jpg
    DSC04498.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 34
I haven't heard the Teac 1250, but I felt that the A-77 was a better sounding deck than the X-1000R by a noticable margin and you would have a hard time finding a better sounding consumer deck period. Whether you like the looks or not, it just sounds so good, that's what I would go with. With all of the A-77s out there you should always be able to find parts as well. They are also easy to work on if you are so inclined. The only problem I would have would be the $600 price tag.

I hope you find what you're looking for.
Same exact experience here. The only consumer machines that are equal or better sounding in my experience are the 10.5" Sonys and Tandbergs (I've never owned a technics, so I can't comment on those). I sold both my Akai GX-747dbx and my X-2000R some time ago because I never used them after getting into the these other machines. The features were really cool, but the sound was just medeocre IMO. This really bummed me out because I really wanted for these big sexy units to sound better, but they simply didn't.

However, I must give most of the A-series of Teacs very high marks for reliability, and build quality. The all AC motor units are nearly bulletproof. But the X-Series: not so much.
 
Last edited:
Seconded about Otari! I use a MX 5050 B II myself as a daily driver. Easily serviced and maintained. Parts still available for it. Plays 1/4 track tapes and records 1/2 track. Slays the Technics RS 1500 on sonics and reliability under frequent, heavy duty use. Designed to hold up in the toughest environment a tape machine can be used in where failure isn't an option, AM, FM, and TV broadcasting use. Smiles under conditions which kill many other decks. :tresbon:
 
The Otaris are awesome, I can't argue with that! I love both of mine. They are absolutely bullet-proof machines with excellent sonics.
 
Wow!...thanx so much for the advice so far. I have much to think about. I'd like to take this, with the original post still a question, to a slight tangent. This is because really what is going on is a desire to get the one deck that really represents a great add for someone that is looking to have a piece of a playback format that he is missing and represents that unique balance appreciated by folks like you, who have much passion about watching those reels go round and round as well! :yes:

I have not pulled the trigger because I am learning much from this thread and am excitied about a missing piece of my past. Both pieces are still available however, and if one of those might be that piece...? :music:
 
To answer your original question more directly, if both machines are in good condition, you certainly won't regret spending the $100 on the Teac. However, if you spend the $600 on the Revox, you might spend a lot of time wondering about it. At those prices, I say go for the Teac -- $100 is not too much to lose if you then decide you want "more" but (again, as long as it's in good condition) it will certainly not represent any kind of low-end R2R experience, that's for sure.
 
Back
Top Bottom