• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Help with ADS L980 speakers

All right! I got the ADS's into my main system in the living room where I can actually hear stuff.

TOP switch is for attenuating tweeter frequencies, to the RIGHT for "neutral" and LEFT for -1.5dB
BOTTOM switch for Bi Amp, to the RIGHT for full-range operation.
I've got both set to the right, running with a Krell KSA-100 Mk. 2 and Threshold fet ten/e, playing files from my server up to 24b/96kHz. Sounds marvelous!

But, uhh....doesn't anybody have a copy of the manual for the L980's?
Thank you everyone!
 
I have a pair or infinity original RS8s with tweeter attenuators and the difference between lo and hi is very subtle.
 
Never noticed this on mine either. Now I’ll have to take a look.
And yeah, great, rare speakers!

As always, great help here on AK!
BTW, post some pics of them when you get a chance.
Glenn
 
Last edited:
People are gonna laugh at the clutter. My excuse is that I had to move stuff out of a house that had been in the family for nearly 50 years and am currently using the living room for storage. I have also been shuttling speakers in and out, trying to decide which pair is going to go to bat next. You can see a wooden kayak paddle on top of the bookshelf. I am experienced at working with wooden boats and will be refinishing the exterior of the L980's, even though they look rather good!
_DSC4503_b.jpg
 
People are gonna laugh at the clutter. My excuse is that I had to move stuff out of a house that had been in the family for nearly 50 years and am currently using the living room for storage. I have also been shuttling speakers in and out, trying to decide which pair is going to go to bat next. You can see a wooden kayak paddle on top of the bookshelf. I am experienced at working with wooden boats and will be refinishing the exterior of the L980's, even though they look rather good!
_DSC4503_b.jpg
Very nice!
May I suggest leaving the ORIGINAL finish alone, unless there's a real need for a refinish.
Looks like your grills have been flipped, which is good! By flipping them, the fabric liner on the back side of the grills will help protect the sticky dome tweeters and mids from dust. The little pull tab can be moved back to the bottom if you want, or keep it at the top.

I checked mine this morning, and they also have both switches on the back, both in the right side position.

The stand it's on actually looks about the correct height when using the factory stands at their lowest setting.

Glenn
 
GD70, I think you're right, I'll leave the wood as it is for now - got enough to do right now! I flipped the grills and then found out the ADS emblem can be rotated to rightside up....The stands came with a pair of AR-3a's, both with bad drivers, that I had in my parents' basement for many years. I believe they are the correct ones for the AR's (?) .The AR speakers were thrown into the trash by my brother while I was away at college; he didn't know any better, and in any case that happened many years ago, so no pain left now :).
 
The AR speakers were thrown into the trash by my brother while I was away at college; he didn't know any better, and in any case that happened many years ago, so no pain left now.

:eek::eek::eek:

Well, at least you have some dirt to use on him. Just casually mention, "you remember those old AR speakers you trashed?" "They're now worth $1000 to $1500 bucks...!" "Or more...!" :rflmao:
 
Can you distinguished folks tell me if there were two generations of L980's, and what the differences were? Did both generations have the bi-amping feature? How about the option of mirror imaging?
 
Series 1 were mirrored and also the first batch of the 2’s. (Still had some series 1 cabs left over)

different upgraded components are the differences but they look the same
 
Back
Top Bottom