• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Help with buying a new turntable

JSanders2056

My Life Has Gone to the Dogs
Subscriber
My nephew is looking for a TT. His budget is nice, with a ceiling of $3000.00. He would like to not go as high as that, but he really likes the Denon DP-3000NE (so do I!), and so that is his high water mark.
Pre tariffs, I swear that same tt was $2500.00...
I think you can get a pretty good new player in the $15-1800 dollar range

He does not need a phono pre amp. No cart needed he has a few MM, and is currently running a HOMC Denon DL-160.
I've let him use my Sony PS-X600 with the same cart, and a Technics SL-7 with a nice Stanton cart. He would like to stay with direct drive motor, and away from belts, but it does not have to be fully automatic So I guess he knows what he wants.
Any opinions and recommendations will all be taken in and discussed. I just don't have any knowledge of what
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I like vintage turntables. I think they are a better buy. Has he owned a turntable?

If it is absolutely limited to new, never used and current model, I would recommend Technics.
 
Last edited:
He has not owned a table but has borrowed mine. He has also seen the Denon DP-59L that I bought and is a gorgeous door stop. I know that he likes vintage but can't fix any mechanical issues if they arise (DP-59L). So, piece of mind with a new, or newer unit
 
He does. It is minimal, but he's got some. I've been supplying him with a few duplicates. My Mom who is 92 this year, gave him some 78's. He's in a band and plays metal, but has an eclectic taste for listening. So, between his job, and gigging he's saved a bit. I gave him a beater HK 330A in rough shape but still working, just to figure if he would stick with it.
He's on the spectrum and has come a LONG way with his love for music. The kid was so introverted that at thanksgiving he hid in the closet and that is where he ate his meals. Now he performs in front of people. My sister has the patience of a saint
 
Not sure if it is a stretch, but maybe consider recommending a used turntable and look for a local tech who can maintain it who he can develop a relationship with. It would seem that maybe the motivation of buying new has mainly to do with insecurity with problems. Sometimes new is defective. At least a used turntable may have stood the test of time.
 
The Denon looks like a fine Chinese made turntable. It maintains some of the aesthetics of the 70's & 80's Denon tables. If it were me, I'd probably stretch the budget a smidgen for a Technics SL-1300G.
 
Last edited:
The Denon looks like a fine Chinese made turntable. It maintains some of the aesthetics of the 70's & 80's Denon tables.
Aren't most from China these days? Honest question.
I think the Denon is pricey, and he could do just as well for a $1500.00 less. Just my opinion and I know what that's worth :yikes:
 
Not sure if it is a stretch, but maybe consider recommending a used turntable and look for a local tech who can maintain it who he can develop a relationship with. It would seem that maybe the motivation of buying new has mainly to do with insecurity with problems. Sometimes new is defective. At least a used turntable may have stood the test of time.
I wish I knew one. I've got a nice TT that needs work, but I'm unable to locate anyone local to work on it. I believe that's why he likes the new Denon, the style and build quality of the vintage Denon drew him in, and then the "brick status" scared him off.
Pretty sure I've got him thinking less might be more in terms of cost. He's in no rush. As a matter of fact he is about to go to Lacrosse Wi next month to get both jaws broken and realigned and hell, I don't know, they may have to remove some portion of one or both. It's hereditary, his father had it done in his very early 20's also. That has no bearing on this thread other than, he's got a few months before it becomes a priority.
 
Aren't most from China these days? Honest question.
I think the Denon is pricey, and he could do just as well for a $1500.00 less. Just my opinion and I know what that's worth :yikes:
All Technics (except the SL-1000RE-S) are assembled in Malaysia. There are turntables made in other countries around the world, including the United States.
 
Aren't most from China these days? Honest question.
I think the Denon is pricey, and he could do just as well for a $1500.00 less. Just my opinion and I know what that's worth :yikes:
Actually, it may be helpful to know the rest of his system, so suggestions can be made that will be appropriate for that setup. Just my $0.02, FWIW.
 
If his heart is set on that model, given the uncertainty around the current state of Tariffs, I would have him look to eBay. There are a few up for sale there with one or two shipping domestically, so no tariff issue.

On the other hand, there are a number of other used models on the 'bay that may be good candidates.

There are a few (but only a few) specs for a turntable. Fortunately, the ones with good specs tend to also sound good with a good, matching cartridge. Here are the specs for the one he wants, with a bit of explanation and what to look for:

Wow Flatter less than 0.06% JIS Wow is low speed variation (speeding up and slowing down) flutter (not flatter, that's a typo on the Denon website) is the same for fast speed variations. The lower number is better/

Rumble (S/N ratio) Over 70dB This is how much noise is produced by the mechanics of the turntable. sometimes it is given a negative number. Either way, a larger value is better then a smaller one as long as you ignore the positive or negative value. So a turntable with 78 dB signal to noise ratio or one with a rumble spec or -78 dB are basically equal in this respect and are both quieter (and therefore better) then one at 70dB.

You can usually find the rumble and wow and flutter specs for a turntable with a search online. Back in the day, the Technics SL1200 MK II set a very high bar at rumble at -78 dB and wow and flutter at 0.025%

Anything approaching those specs and not broken or damaged in some way will be a good turntable. When the manufacturers went after the performance level of the Technics, then also paid clse attention to the arm on the machine as well.

Good Luck with the hunt and I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say it is wonderful that music has been able to open up your nephew's life this way.

Shelly_D
 
Technics SL-1200GR
Thats what I was thinking but hesitate to suggest what other people shd do.
There's just way too much I don't know about the nephew, his tastes, other equipment, listening preferences, etc.
Regardless, spending $$ is fun. Best of luck to him. Hope the jaw thing works out - sounds scary to me.
 
Possibly a Technics SP10MK2 that has been updated/refurbished? Vintage vibe with state of the art performance.
 
Thank you for all the help, we had fun communicating via the internet and talking about various choices and recommendations. It looks like he will settle on an Audio-Technica AT-LP8X.
This surprised me because we hadn't even talked about that model, or even that brand. I'm glad he is saving a ton of dough and will have more money for vinyl
Hopefully it will pair well with his Harman Kardon 430 and Pioneer HPM 100's. I think he will be fine with his choice. What do you all think?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_057LP8X/Audio-Technica-AT-LP8X.html?tp=75887
Sincerely hope I am not breaking any rules posting that link
 
Back
Top Bottom