• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help with streamer choice

rmsanger

Active Member
I'm looking for a high quality streamer that I can pair with my r2r dac. Something that is plug and play that I can control with my phone.

I hate DIY stuff so no Raspberry Creampie none of the stuff that pc builders/modders like.

I was leaning towards the Bluesound node and then just using the spidif out for my dac but didn't know if there were any other "better" options in this price range? I'd love to get a higher end streamer with an I2S output but they are like $2k to start and that's just not in the cards ATM.

Also I just want it to connect to wifi so i can use Quobuz or amazon HD. Don't care about MQA or Roon.
 
Register to hide this ad
I was looking into this myself. I have a friend who is a high end dealer and he said the Denon units are the best value and sound great.
 
I use a modest Windows laptop with an external USB DAC as a music server (NAS drives). The same laptop is used as a streaming server. I have Amazon Prime Music for streaming whatever I want. I also have the TuneIn app for thousands of radio stations from all over the world.

I prefer this over a dedicated streamer because it won't be obsolete in two or three years. If any of the streaming services goes wheels up, changes something or I change to a new service all I have to do is download whatever app will do the job.
 
I use a modest Windows laptop with an external USB DAC as a music server (NAS drives)

Very similar here. When trialling four streaming services during lockdown, I mostly used a little MSI 135 Win7 netbook I bought secondhand for £17. It also runs MusicBee accessing my NAS media store, and can run Squeezelite to be an LMS endpoint. Internal DAC or USB external DAC.

I also have an Atom-based SBC running LMS under Windows. I expect support for that will continue for some considerable time.

Neither of these are pretty hifi components, though.

Your point about ongoing support for dedicated streamers is a good one.
 
I have the older Yamaha WXC-50, but agree with the points above. A computer quite often gets updates for a lot longer and gives you more options...depending on the service you use.

One thing I liked about the WXC-50 was that it worked with DLNA, so even though it wasn't getting updates, I could still use it as an endpoint for LMS, Audirvana, etc. It also has Airplay (the first version). If I was getting a streamer, it would need, at least, those two features alongside the apps it has built in. It gives you some extra peace of mind if they stop updating apps. If you can find something that also has Casting, you have a lot of future proofing. I have a Chromecast Audio device plugged into it, so it has the trifecta of streaming options that I find useful.

One thing that might also be considered is security issues of some of these streaming devices. I doubt that focus on network security like a PC would.
 
I also streamed Amazon HD from a desktop Windows box USB to my amp, but I wanted a dedicated streamer for same reasons as OP - control it from a phone or tablet.
I have a Yamaha integrated amp (love it) so was looking at the WXC-50 but it won't do AMHD. Thought about a R-Pi but it also won't do AMHD AFAIK.
Thought about a Denon HEOS link but reviews of HEOS weren't very positive.
I ended up with a Node & love it.
 
I also streamed Amazon HD from a desktop Windows box USB to my amp, but I wanted a dedicated streamer for same reasons as OP - control it from a phone or tablet.
I have a Yamaha integrated amp (love it) so was looking at the WXC-50 but it won't do AMHD. Thought about a R-Pi but it also won't do AMHD AFAIK.
Thought about a Denon HEOS link but reviews of HEOS weren't very positive.
I ended up with a Node & love it.
If you use Qobuz or Tidal, you can get Roon, Audirvana, or LMS (also supports Spotify, from my understanding) which all have Remote apps. Audirvana and LMS also support DLNA which supports every receiver I have in the house...even older ones.

I subscribe to Apple Music, so I am in a similar boat as you with the lack of Remote apps (Apple has one, but it sucks) to control what is playing on a computer from across the room. As as result, I don't use a computer in the mix anymore, either. I mainly use an AppleTV (capped at 48k) or if something comes along with hi res I want to hear, I just dock an iPad or iPhone with a USB DAC.

I thought about the Node back in the day when it went on sale. I didn't like the lack of DLNA because I was using Qobuz with Audirvana at the time. I do think it is a good option for someone that just wants to plug something in and have it work...assuming it works with their music service and they don't care that it may stop getting updates down the road (I dont know their track record, but it is common for streaming devices).
 
Interesting computer responses when I think the OP is looking for a standalone solution. Aurender makes some high quality servers at different price/performance points.
 
Interesting computer responses when I think the OP is looking for a standalone solution. Aurender makes some high quality servers at different price/performance points.
When someone opens up a discussion about streaming options, it never hurts to know the downfalls and alternatives. He mentioned not wanting a Pi, which would not be the same as not wanting to use a regular computer.

I believe audio science review forum has a review of the Bluesound that the OP may want to read before buying.
 
Interesting computer responses when I think the OP is looking for a standalone solution. Aurender makes some high quality servers at different price/performance points.

I too was wondering about this. Specifically wondering about how using a laptop as a streamer addresses the OP's stated objective of being able to use a phone for control, vs being tethered?

Or is everyone jusr willing to accept this limitation in exchange for an assumedly cheaper solution (old laptop plus DAC, vs streamer)?
 
Last edited:
When someone opens up a discussion about streaming options, it never hurts to know the downfalls and alternatives. He mentioned not wanting a Pi, which would not be the same as not wanting to use a regular computer.

I believe audio science review forum has a review of the Bluesound that the OP may want to read before buying.

I have a Node, but have not read the Review you recommended. I assume by your tone that it is negative.

Thankfully, I am apparently not very discriminating about sound quality. I've found that the Node sounds quite good to my ears...pretty comparable to the Arcam DAC + Windows laptop I use in a different system.

So far, support from Bluesound has been good, and the unit has worked quite reliably. My only wish is that it allowed the option to use the interface apps of the streaming services directly, rather than via API.
 
I have a Node, but have not read the Review you recommended. I assume by your tone that it is negative.

Thankfully, I am apparently not very discriminating about sound quality. I've found that the Node sounds quite good to my ears...pretty comparable to the Arcam DAC + Windows laptop I use in a different system.

So far, support from Bluesound has been good, and the unit has worked quite reliably. My only wish is that it allowed the option to use the interface apps of the streaming services directly, rather than via API.
I don't remember the specifics, I just remember it being posted on other threads. But if someone is considering buying it... you are long past that point... it helps to know everything you can about a device so there are no surprises.

I too was wondering about this. Specifically wondering about how using a laptop as a streamer addresses the OP's stated objective of being able to use a phone for control, vs being tethered?

Or is everyone jusr willing to accept this limitation in exchange for an assumedly cheaper solution (old laptop plus DAC, vs streamer)?
As I mentioned above, there are plenty of ways to control what is playing on the computer via an app. Whether you use something like Teamviewer or Audirvana. Of course, the OP will have better options with Qobuz than Amazon if he wants to control what a computer is playing with a phone. If he had said he doesn't want to touch a computer, rather than talking about Pi/modding, I think he would have had less computer related responses.

Personally, I think it just comes down to the persons specific needs. Bluesound would be the obvious choice here at this price point, but I would definitely try to research it to be sure.
 
When someone opens up a discussion about streaming options, it never hurts to know the downfalls and alternatives. He mentioned not wanting a Pi, which would not be the same as not wanting to use a regular computer.

I believe audio science review forum has a review of the Bluesound that the OP may want to read before buying.

The ASR review notes the poor performance of the built in DAC. The OP will be using an external DAC so no problem there.
 
The ASR review notes the poor performance of the built in DAC. The OP will be using an external DAC so no problem there.
I didn't read the whole review because I am not in the market, but he is also critical about the toslink out (Edit: should have said toslink in), which goes beyond the DAC:

From ASR:

Conclusions
The industrial design of the Bluesound Node 2i is fantastic, easily earning A+ in my book. You would just look at it and touch it as well! upload_2021-11-3_13-58-12.gif Going after SONOS market requires that and they have nailed it. Networking functionality worked perfectly in the limited testing I gave it. Things like subwoofer output are nice touches too. Overall, I have nothing to complain about.

The complaining however, starts at pure performance of the unit and potentially a broken Toslink implementation. I may buy another cable to test but for now, if the company is reading this, I highly suggest testing the Toslink input to see if this is a problem or not. Toslink input is important from integration with TV sound for example.

On performance front, it is disappointing to see such low SINAD ratings even though it beats their specifications. I like to see something in high 90s even in budget products. As far as I can tell, playback of high-resolution audio is one of the advantages they tout so would be good if they delivered that objectively.

Until the Toslink issues are sorted out, I can't recommend the product. It is a shame because this level of fit and finish from a branded company at such a price is a great combination.
 
Last edited:
Those comments seem to be about a TOSlink input.
Just saw that. It still goes beyond the DAC issues in either case. A reason to read the review and probably the thread itself if you are interested. By the way, I have no first hand experience with it and am not trying to persuade anyone not to buy anything. I just think most people on an audio forum would rather be informed about the stuff they are considering.
 
I used my Windows notebook to stream a variety of services (into a Musical Fidelity USB to SPDIF converter into a stand alone DAC) for years. I didn't realize that configuration's sonic limitations until I got a Node 2 as a bridge/streamer into my stand alone DAC...and being able to use my smart phone as a remote is welcome change. If you have your own deck and just need a streamer, it's hard to beat the value if you can snag a used Node 2.
 
Last edited:
I'm looking for a high quality streamer that I can pair with my r2r dac. Something that is plug and play that I can control with my phone.

I hate DIY stuff so no Raspberry Creampie none of the stuff that pc builders/modders like.

I was leaning towards the Bluesound node and then just using the spidif out for my dac but didn't know if there were any other "better" options in this price range? I'd love to get a higher end streamer with an I2S output but they are like $2k to start and that's just not in the cards ATM.

Also I just want it to connect to wifi so i can use Quobuz or amazon HD. Don't care about MQA or Roon.

I was in almost exactly the same boat. The turntable is my main source. But I was looking for a streamer, mainly for Qobuz. I got the Bluesound NODE "3". No complaints. I'm really enjoying it. Plug and play, simple and easy. My source of choice for parties, cousins coming over, etc, when I don't want people fiddling with my records. And it sounds great in my opinion. It encouraged me to get into some TuneIn radio and a free subscription offer I received from Sirius XM. Again, it's mainly for Qobuz. And it does it very well for me.

Curious... which DAC are you using?
 
Back
Top Bottom