• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help with testing tools

akabek

Active Member
I did read a few pages on the So You Want To Repair Audio gear but a lot of the links don't work and maybe there is newer affordable gear to look at.

I have a some vintage amps and preamps I would like to go over and repair. I would like to get the tools I will need to test these components for damaged parts, safe slow power up and check factory settings like bias. I have limited electronics experience so I plan to do a lot of reading and watch YouTube videos. I am looking for assistance on what equipment I will need to maintain my gear and to tinker with.

I have hand tools, WES51 solder station, multimeters etc. My amps range from 100 watts per channel into 8Ω to 160 watts per channel into 8Ω.

For an oscilloscope I inherited my fathers vintage Eico 460 oscilloscope. I know it is basic and old and to be honest I am not even sure if it works. Assuming it does can I use it to track problems and check settings? If it does not meet my needs what should I be looking for keeping in mind I just need something that will not be used often. I would rather not use my PC so I would be looking for a stand alone unit.

I will buy a variac for slow power up. Will a 500va unit be enough? Do I still need to build a Dim-Bulb tester if I get a variac?

When I slowly power up an amp to check factory settings do I need a dummy load? If so how many watts do I need? Would it be beneficial to build a dummy load for 2 channels?

I assume I also need audio Signal Generator. Which entry level unit will work?

Is there anything else I need?
 
Register to hide this ad
For solidstate, not a must have , unless your troubleshooting underload issues.

I thought a dummy load is used to load the amp and when diagnosing a problem. Or does this only apply to tube amps? When would you use it for solidstate?
 
Yes, welcome to AK!

Build a dim bulb tester.
Get both an analog and digital meter.
I also have two of the cheap digital meters from harbor freight to use when adjusting DC offset.
A tester that will do just about every solid state device.

Also something to discharge the filter caps. I use a old lava lamp with the plug removed and clips added. A lamp inserted will draw the juice when connected to the cap connections.




C9DD5729-A545-47C3-B46C-F066C2AFAC59-copy.png
tester trans!.jpg
 
Last edited:
For an oscilloscope I inherited my fathers vintage Eico 460 oscilloscope. I know it is basic and old and to be honest I am not even sure if it works. Assuming it does can I use it to track problems and check settings?

Welcome Aboard!

Being a 5MHz 'scope, it may be suitable for some audio frequency work, but may lack the resolution you could eventually want for observing distortion. If it works, it could be a siutable starting point. If it doesn't work, a little time spent analyzing/repairing it may be worthwhile, but it is probably not worth investing any significant resources to get it operational, expecially considering that a decent quality used/working 'scope can be had for as low as $100 if the buyer is patient and astute.
 
Highly recommend mini-grabber test leads for your multimeter.
A must have. Can't get hot meter readings without them or you might be doing a lot more troubleshooting on a unit that just needed the bias adjusted. Ask the 100 akers that have had that happen if minigrabbers would have been a good idea.

I popped a resistor in a turntable before I got smart enough to get minigrabbers
 
Yes, welcome to AK!

Build a dim bulb tester.
Get both an analog and digital meter.
I also have two of the cheap digital meters from harbor freight to use when adjusting DC offset.
A tester that will do just about every solid state device.

Also something to discharge the filter caps. I use a old lava lamp with the plug removed and clips added. A lamp inserted will draw the juice when connected to the cap connections.




View attachment 2068696
View attachment 2068697

I plan to build a dim bulb tester. I found this great dim tester.
If I build a dim light tester do I still need the Variac?

Get both an analog and digital meter. Do you mean a multimeter?

A tester that will do just about every solid state device. I will look into the multifunction tester you posted a pic of

Also something to discharge the filter caps. I use a old lava lamp with the plug removed and clips added. A lamp inserted will draw the juice when connected to the cap connections. Good idea
 
Welcome Aboard!

Being a 5MHz 'scope, it may be suitable for some audio frequency work, but may lack the resolution you could eventually want for observing distortion. If it works, it could be a siutable starting point. If it doesn't work, a little time spent analyzing/repairing it may be worthwhile, but it is probably not worth investing any significant resources to get it operational, expecially considering that a decent quality used/working 'scope can be had for as low as $100 if the buyer is patient and astute.

What model oscilloscope should I be looking out for? Or what specs should it have. Do I need an audio Signal Generator?
 
I picked up some maxi-grabber test clips which are made just like the mini- grabbers, but about 5-6 inches long- excellent.
I also found a tektronix analog 2225 scope locally for $100. It’s only 50mhz, but is well suited for amplifier work. I have not had any issues making fm alignments with it either. Get a 10x probe. A cheap chinese one will work just fine.

I have used a function generator to produce analog sine waves. This works OK, but if you get a distortion analyzer later on, you will realize that those devices don’t produce a clean sine wave. Find an audio generator out there. The Leader described earlier is a fine choice and reasonably priced.

i don’t use a variac, but I do use a dim bulb tester. I would suggest you build a basic one and add more bulbs if you feel you need them.

I find I use a lot more test cables than I thought I would. I have 4 BNC to mini-grabber. Several BNC to BNC cables and lots of adapters- BNC to RCA, RCA to BNC, BNC T- splitters, several regular RCA interconnect type cables. Good lighting and a magnifying glass. I also keep a flashlight on my bench.
Oh, don’t store your hand tools above your work area. I dropped one in a powered up receiver once...once.
 
I decided to keep an eye out for a used analog oscilloscope locally rather than one of the new off shore units. I bought a used variac yesterday so I just need to assemble a dim bulb tester.

I have to find a used audio generator as well. I will check the auction site and local classifieds.

Where did you source your test clips and cables? Would amazon do or did you go through an electronics store.
 
Back
Top Bottom