• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help with testing tools

Agree that a DMM with mini grabber leads is enough for lots of solid state work. I got mine in a big probe set from Amazon, works very well. Dummy loads can definitely be useful for investigating certain issues and doing calibration. Also nice for reliability testing, leave it playing on the loads for a few hours before risking speakers. Nobody has mentioned sacrificial speakers yet either, but I have a pair of cheap parts express full range drivers I use to listen for serious issues before risking my main setup. Honestly I use my phone for sig gen but a real generator is definitely better.
 
I have several function generators but use my leader the most. I even used an eico tube model 377 for many years.

I think a DBT, scope, DMM, and function generator can get you pretty far.

I have more gear but you can always add later or when you come across deals. Most of my stuff was free. I think my fluke DVM might be my most expensive item.
 
I have a less expensive Global Specialties 2001 function generator. The cheaper ones are higher in distortion, generally less than 1% in the audio range but great for the price and tracing a signal. Not so good for use with a distortion analyzer but mine has a much cleaner generator built in.

And although I have had the 2001 since about then, I finally found the OM available on line so I can learn a bit more about it. Hadn't look in a while as the manual seems to have been added to the files in 2013.
 
Back
Top Bottom