• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Here's What Some Seller's "VG+" Looks Like

Oh I very much do as well. This fella had 99.something % with about 150 ratings.

He gave me a very health partial back (after another couple days radio silence) when I prodded again, so I'll give him the benefit of doubt this go around that he was just being lazy. I dunno. It's not the most silent copy after cleaning (again), but it's good enough for me for this album. Was still worth the "drug through the mud" photo post for some commiseration though. :)




Priceless! (much more so than the Denon) Yeah I just don't understand that way going through the world. Ah well.
Yes me too, I know we are in odd times but I could not look at myself in the mirror if I did that, have do people live with themselves?
Chris
 
Feedback is the best way to know what your getting. Check it every time. :)

Yup. Usually. But not the case here, which is why it surprised me so much. Only a single 'neutral' over the past more-than-a-year.
(Hiding the name cuz I think this may have been a one-off)

feedback.jpg
 
I have had numerous similar experiences with ebay, it really seems to be a crap shoot. I once bought a record described as near mint and when it arrived it was full of cat hair and reeked of cigarettes. The seller told me, "They must have opened it at the post office". Sure, that sounds reasonable.
 
Yup. Usually. But not the case here, which is why it surprised me so much. Only a single 'neutral' over the past more-than-a-year.
(Hiding the name cuz I think this may have been a one-off)

View attachment 2009953
Although a high feedback score is typically a good sign things will go well, it's not always a guarantee.

Case in point, I bought an original pressing of Abbey Road that was graded VG+ (for both the media and sleeve) from a Discogs seller w/similar feedback. The sleeve I received was fine, but the record was full of scratches - more like a beat up G+. Thankfully the seller apologized and gave me a full refund - the explanation I was given was that someone else in the shop graded the record, not the owner himself.

Bottom-line, there's always some degree of risk buying online. Thankfully, most of my Discogs purchases have gone great, but most of the vinyl I've bought on there has been sealed.
 
...
Bottom-line, there's always some degree of risk buying online. Thankfully, most of my Discogs purchases have gone great, but most of the vinyl I've bought on there has been sealed.

Naturally. I've been buying there with some regularity for quite a few years now and would say the same. Though I've bought plenty of used LPs as well - always a risk not being able to confirm grading in-person, but really in all that time this is the only "incident" of any consequence I've had. Still a fantastic resource.
 
Although a high feedback score is typically a good sign things will go well, it's not always a guarantee.

Case in point, I bought an original pressing of Abbey Road that was graded VG+ (for both the media and sleeve) from a Discogs seller w/similar feedback. The sleeve I received was fine, but the record was full of scratches - more like a beat up G+. Thankfully the seller apologized and gave me a full refund - the explanation I was given was that someone else in the shop graded the record, not the owner himself.

Bottom-line, there's always some degree of risk buying online. Thankfully, most of my Discogs purchases have gone great, but most of the vinyl I've bought on there has been sealed.

One of the (many) problems with buying from ebay is that if a full refund is offered no feedback can be left. I've seen stuff relisted as Ex even though I returned it for not actually playing through without skipping. Seller's thinking is most just accept it, or there's always a mug.
 
Naturally. I've been buying there with some regularity for quite a few years now and would say the same. Though I've bought plenty of used LPs as well - always a risk not being able to confirm grading in-person, but really in all that time this is the only "incident" of any consequence I've had. Still a fantastic resource.
Oh it's an incredible resource for sure. I always support my local shops first, but Discogs has been a gold mine for whatever I can't find locally - usually things I give up on trying to find a copy of in my own neck of the woods, but also lots of things that were never released on vinyl for the US market (which is surprisingly common for a lot of stuff I like).
 
Oh I very much do as well. This fella had 99.something % with about 150 ratings.

Ratings don't mean anything. It's been like this for awhile now. Sellers will bulk list a bunch of junk condition records and put everything up as VG+ because it's harder to sell records graded below that. Many people will get a record in the mail, and be happy even if it is overgraded because they are ignorant about grading themselves or they are simply too timid to complain. The few people that do complain get a refund or partial so the crap sellers avoid bad feedback. If they buy junk lots of records for pennies on the dollar they are still ahead even if say, 15-20% of buyers get a refund or partial refund. It's the reason I stopped buying used vinyl on Discogs and eBay. Now I buy direct from shops that have their own websites, that I know grade accurately. In rare cases where there is a problem, I get credit.
 
Last edited:
I've had experiences like this on eBay and Discogs. Many sellers on Discogs will not send pictures when you request them so it's a crap shoot what you will get if you want to be a sucker and buy the record. It happened to me once on eBay and once on Discogs. I have had many transaction on eBay and Discogs and it was just one arse from each who had to ruin it. Now I ask for many pictures from both eBay and Discogs,... If they don't send the pictures then they don't get my business.
 
Back
Top Bottom