• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Heresy's and Crites

Luckytiger

Member
Auditioned a pair of KG4's over the weekend. Got a chance to A/B them with my Heresy's, which I have always thought were great. The KG4's sounded way better than my Heresy's, which was actually very disappointing. Heresy's are 1981 and unmodded. Bought them new and have been listening to them for 30 years. Wondering if anyone has direct experience with the Crites upgrades for the Heresy's.
 
Register to hide this ad
I recently upgraded my 87 Heresy crossovers with a Crites cap kit (Sonicaps) and it made a big improvement. I haven't tried his Ti tweeter diaphrams in them but I do like them in my Chorus. The caps were a bigger improvemnet than I was expecting.
 
I installed a pair of the Crites E-2 crossovers in my Heresey's, they really improved greatly. :thmbsp:
 
I've always thought the Klipsch two-ways sounded much better overall than the heritage three-ways. The Hereseys were an amazing speaker but they just had a wonky sound to me. They sounded hollow and a bit too horny. The Kg and Rf series seem to have a better integration between the drivers and a more natural sound.

The only time I really enjoyed the Hereseys was in a very live, large room with high ceilings, driven by an Hk receiver. Before then, I had only been using them with tubes.
 
Almost certainly your Heresys need new caps, as I can almost guarantee you they have drifted way off spec. Start there before you do anything else.
 
Crites cross overs will wake them up. If you have soldering skills purchase Crites "recap" parts. I just purchased the new boards with all new networks.
I purchased both of my Heritage 3 ways :thmbsp: new Love them.:music:
 
Crites crossovers were the first thing updates I ever did...I had done them to two pair for an all Heresy Home Theater...the only thing your kg4s should do better is bass...but that's if you like the Klipsch Heritage sound...I do and I find Heresys to be very nice speakers...

Bill
 
Just got off the phone with Michael Crites. Ordered a pair of the new crossovers. Assembled price was reasonable enough to let him do it. I will let you know once they are installed. Thanks for all your input.
 
Tiger, did you get the complete just bolt it on crossover kit ? if so how much ? I just bought the complete kit for my Chorus ll"s, paid 275, havnt installed them yet though
 
Ordered the whole thing completely assembled. It was only another $20 bucks or so to have them assemble it. Cost me that much to dig out my soldering iron and hunt for solder. Paid 189.00 with shipping. I have 1981Heresy's, so the crossover was the type-E. Crites got it assembled and shipped out same day and I should have it tomorrow. I will let you know how the install goes.
 
Ordered the whole thing completely assembled. It was only another $20 bucks or so to have them assemble it. Cost me that much to dig out my soldering iron and hunt for solder. Paid 189.00 with shipping. I have 1981Heresy's, so the crossover was the type-E. Crites got it assembled and shipped out same day and I should have it tomorrow. I will let you know how the install goes.

I have done the same thing with my Corrnwalls and my 1989 HII are next.For 30 odd years I played them and they slowly started to sound off a bit at very low volume and I heard so trash/distortation that would go away when I cranked them up some. At first I thought it was my then new Yamaha HD AVR
but after installing Bob's new boards WOW back like new again. I have had tubes for years and was suprised how nice a Yamaha SS whimpy AVR amps sound on "Pure" direct mode (no processor) analog with my Revox R2R.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43284454@N04/sets/72157627252013657/
 
Received my crossovers today, only three days after I ordered them. Took about 30 min to install. Installed one first, gave it a listen and then installed the other one. Totally blown away. Broke into a sweat they sounded so good. Cannot say enough good things about these. Now if you will excuse me I have to call in sick for tomorrow so I can spend the day listening to these babys.
 
Last edited:
Received my crossovers today, only three days after I ordered them. Took about 30 min to install. Installed one first, gave it a listen and then installed the other one. Totally blown away. Broke into a sweat they sounded so good. Cannot say enough good things about these. Now if you will excuse me I have to call in sick for tomorrow so I can spend the day listening to these babys.

Excellent news!

It's amazing how our ears (well, brains) get used to the slow degradation of those old oil caps, only to wake one day thinking maybe our speakers suck, when all they need is a tune-up! Congratulations!
 
Ah very nice, I know I am a little late to the party. But caps from Mr. Crites were the first thing I have done to any of my Klipsch products. My Heresies were the first Klipsch product I purchase and the last to get updated. One of the things I also did was buy a set of the risers, which makes em pointing more at your head then at your feet.
 
Actually risers was the second thing I did. I used the same angle as the originals but added 2" to the front and back dimension to give them a little more height. Mine are 4.5 inches tall at the front, 2.75 inches tall at the back.
I will probably experiment with a couple of variatons but I am really happy with these. Seems to work with the distance and angles I have between speakers and listening position.
 
I tried two Bing searches on Michael Crites, without success. Would someone care to provide a link? I think I would like to mod my Hereseys too.
 
Back
Top Bottom