• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"Hey, are these Yorx speakers any good?"

I learned to not make subjective evaluations of a speaker until I hear it. And I'd rather listen to many a cheap, simple speaker than some of the speakers popular around here.
 
homebrew - that was why they painted those rings one the baffles - if the grills had come off, the deception would have been instantly obvious. You had to peer through the cloth or punched plastic grills to see that what looked like a driver wasn't, in fact, a driver. And, apparently, for enough people, this realization came only after buying..

As a kid (14 or thereabouts) I bought my first receiver, a Technics SA150. (It took many mowed lawns to get the money together, so don't tell me what a POS it was!!!). I didn't have money for speakers yet, so a friend of my big brother 'gave' me a set of CRAIG two way speakers to get me started.

A couple months of blissful (/s/) music listening - and lawn mowing - go by and I get myself a 'real' pair of speakers with removable grilles that showed off a massive, earth shattering 10" woofer, a 3 or 4" mid and a little tiny tweeter. Technics or Pioneer, IIRC. So me being an inquisitive little brat I took the Graigs apart because I wanted to see what the crossovers looked like.

As it turned out, there was only one speaker, 5 or 5.5 inches with a whizzer cone in the middle, and a silver paper ring around it to make it look like an 8+ inch woofer. The tweeter was nothing but another plastic ring and the "port" for the woofer. The back panels - as you mentioned were 1/8" hard board, though they did have spring loaded terminals on the back. So at least the connectors were "audiophile"!
 
My wife asked what speaker brands to look for since she frequents garage sales, thrifts, etc.
Giving a list of good brands is an impossible task, so I gave the following advice. It isn't completely reliable, but stopped the phone calls/texts about absolute junk:

"If the speaker seems heavy for its size, and/or has edges more than 1/2" thick on the sides, and/or has removeable grills, and doesn't have RCA speaker terminals, give me a call with the brand name and model number."

It stopped a lot frivolous of calls/texts. On the other hand, it may have caused a miss on some gems, but not real likely.
 
My Soundesign system owned new from 1975 or so included vinyl covered speakers with little plastic "horns" in the upper front of the baffle. Except there were no horns - nothing in the box but a single 5 or 6 inch wide range speaker. I dragged this to college and the speakers were blown out by numerous dorm parties.

Replaced those speakers with a pair of the flat woofer MCS in about 1981, and got several more years of medium-lo-fi service.
 
Back
Top Bottom