• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HH Scott LK72B, a dirty dog!

Register to hide this ad
looks mostly dusty but at first glance it doesn't appear to be particularly damaged, missing anything besides knob brites, or hackily modified. Blow the dust out and wipe it down, fair bet you'll find a pretty decent amp under there.

transformers you may have to shoot some paint on, looks like the lam stacks are a bit rusty but thats not really a big deal.
 
worth a shot, just monitor the current. If it starts going way nuts, turn it off. I'd probably bring it up without the rectifier tube first just to check the basic integrity of the transformer and whatnot.


something I've started doing when bringing things up after a long sleep is to sub the tube rectifier with a solid state one. That will let you more slowly re-form the filter caps. Tube rectifiers don't really conduct under about 75v, but a solid state will start right away. Bring it up 10v at a time while monitoring the current and checking for warming caps or odd voltage drops between the sections that don't make sense. If something is really displeased you'll know it pretty quick.
 
Looks a pretty nice amp. Please keep us updated on your checks. There are of course restoration threads for you to read after you've woken it from its long sleep. Don't trust any of the caps, particularly the electrolytic cans.
 
Thanks for the suggestions. This will be all new to me. I am a retired industrial electrician. But I have not done this type of work. I found a schematic at the tube store. I am surprised to see a solid state bridge in there.
 
Heck, that looks clean compared to the Pioneer ER-420 I just finished refurbing... the underside looked just fine btw. After cleaning tube pins/sockets and a full recap she sounds great!

i-RSrLm67-XL.jpg
 
That solid state bridge is just for the bias but the 5AR4 is for the plates of all of the tubes.
 
wiped the tops off. the tubes are labeled SCOTT. I assume they are original. Where does on get tubes tested these days? I remember when a tube tester was in the grocery store and you bought the tubes right there.

DSCF0001.JPG
 
The LK-72B is a nice amplifier. It is well worth restoring it, you will be pleased with the result. Lots of help available here for you to reference.
 
wiped the tops off. the tubes are labeled SCOTT. I assume they are original. Where does on get tubes tested these days?

Good news that they were just dusty , as to are they original yes unless they came from another SCOTT amp which I doubt.

As for testing tubes, see if you can find a local to your region audio repair shop hopefully the have a tester, if not maybe an AK'er local to you who has one can help you out with testing.

Here's some semi recent threads on your unit you might find useful/helpful etc

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/bringing-dormant-scott-lk-72b-back-to-life.893788/

The author of this thread still posts regularly

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-scott-lk-72-project.614887/

My guess is she'll clean up really nice
 
wiped the tops off. the tubes are labeled SCOTT. I assume they are original. Where does on get tubes tested these days? I remember when a tube tester was in the grocery store and you bought the tubes right there.

View attachment 2698196
Depends where you are. Places that do guitar amps will be able to test, or am AK member may be local to you. Sticky up top with members and locations with testers available for use.
 
Oh wow, jkaley, that manual looks very helpful. I will learn a thing or two from that. Thanks.
 
With my Scott 222C one of the sections of the electrolytic for the bias was dead.
I have found this more than one time as well. Symptom can be lower voltage and/or hum, depending on design. Recently on a Fisher KX-200, it had developed a hum, traced to the preamplifier section. It was in fact the bias/filament capacitor was totally open (high ESR). Replacement was the fix. (Actually, re-stuffing the original can).
 
Looking better! Mostly dust. Compressed air and a chip brush took most of it off. For what didn't want to come off, I tried diluted simple green. The labels started coming off! I switched to water with a bit of Dawn. The labels are still coming off. So I quit cleaning. Brushed some rust reformer on the trans, and then black paint. I read through all the transformers. No opens.

DSCF0005.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom