• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

High-End AVRs for Stereo?

ScottFan355

Super Member
Just curious as to what people's thoughts are on using older high-end avrs for stereo listening? Whenever I see someone trying to put together a very cheap system the advice I always give them is to find the heaviest, most expensive avr they can find from 10-15 years ago for 30-50 bucks and spend as much as they can on speakers. The theory being that while amplifiers certainly sound different, speakers matter more, and an avr that cost 1-3k and weighs 40-60 lbs will have a decent amplifier section, better than they can get elsewhere for such a pittance. The funny thing is I've never tested the theory myself. What are people's thoughts on using an older high-end avr, or maybe just the amp section with a different preamp? I think it would be helpful to try to keep this thread based for the most part on actual listening experiences, not arguments about why it can't be as good, too much going on, etc. I must admit that I'm tempted at times to swap out my 9090db with an avr with a hefty power supply and a high wpc rating that's going for 2 to 3% of it's original cost for giggles just to see how it performs.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I’m using a Yamaha rx-v1 in my stereo room with a pair of goldenear triton 1 speakers . Exactly what your posting about. To help refine the sound I’m using a meridian director dac to the receiver and a musical fidelity tube buffer hooked up to the the pre out / power in jacks. It sounds very good.
 
This topic has been thoroughly discussed in several previous threads. There's no need to add another one, just use the search function to look for one of the many previous threads and continue the discussion there
With all due respect I've seen those threads and many of them dwell on why or why not they can/can't sound good and didn't necessarily focus on high-end models. I would rather hear about peoples actual listening experiences, especially with particular models/brands.
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone watch out! The thread cop is here!

Actually I don't think this is a topic that has been addressed nearly enough. Given the prevalence of cheapskates, sorry, 'thrifty' people on this site, not to mention the young and those with limited means, the idea that one could achieve relatively high-quality powerful amplification for such a small amount of money is worth talking about a bit more, I believe. What I think would be particulary interesting is hearing from those who have experience with powerful vintage units, modern separates, and high-end avrs. And also those who have used only the amplifier section with a quality pre.
 
I have a Sony V555ES and it sounds loads better than the STR-DG510 that I was using before it.

I also use an Onkyo TX-SR800 I use as a pre-amp and DAC. Sounds lovely with my Rotel power amp and cost $30.
 
Most of the high end AVRs have special dedicated two-channel listening modes (Direct and Pure Direct for Denon), which shut down video, display, and all other unnecessary circuitry to reduce possible sources of noise to vanishing levels. In these modes, bass management is optional and often quite useful. With Denon—the units I'm most familiar with—the AVR makes a copy of the input signal and OPTIONALLY extracts and routes to a subwoofer the bass from the copy, thus leaving the original signal intact. With at least 5, usually 7, and occasionally 9 or even more channels of amplification, these monster AVRs are easily capable of driving a two-channel setup to astounding and incredibly pure volume levels. Note as well that most high end AVRs from a decade ago will generally have some type of room correction software (generates test tones, samples speaker/room interaction with supplied microphone, creates/applies customizable equalization curves) that can be used to "fix" the usual problems with various speaker/room setups.
 
Last edited:
I ran across a Denon AVR-5800 (former TOTL) for $100 that I use for two channel music. I think it sounds fantastic with either my Yamaha NS-1000s or my ADS 880IIs. The build quality and components are extremely high quality. I would look for AVRs that have dedicated 2-channel modes or circuits

62lbs with seven 170W amplifiers, each rated at 8ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz at 0.05% THD.

Pure Direct Mode: In addition to surround sound playback, the AVR-5800 lets you enjoy pure 2-channel stereo sound as well through its Pure Direct mode. In Pure Direct mode, power to the video circuitry and the front panel display is turned off, and during analog input, power to the digital circuitry is also automatically turned off. Furthermore, during 2-channel linear PCM input, the D/A converter section is re-configured to 8 DAC dual-differential operation (4 DAC channels for each audio channel) to provide optimum D/A conversion of 2-channel PCM sound sources, such as CD with the highest transparency and widest dynamic range.
 
The older the AVR, the better for sound quality IMHO. Less gizmos, better sound and reliabilty.

Hardly, but think whatever you want. If something is complicated has no bearing on the reliability. Quality of engineering, how it is assembled and the quality of materials is what matters. Cars are far more complicated than ever and they are far more reliable than ever.
 
More stuff to go wrong and something is only as good as its weakest link. The odds that everything/all components and associated designs to make them work are “the same strength link” in a given component are low. They arent. The weakest thing will fail first. More options for things to fail? Then the unit as a whole will fail sooner.

Total fantasy that cant be proven, but whatever.
 
Just do your research before buying. Any unit that has known reliability issues will be all over internet forums. If you avoid those and focus on the units that people are using for two channel you should have good results.
Even though some are getting popular they are still less expensive than your typical vintage receiver and a lot newer. If it needs the remote to be set up properly make sure it comes with that too.
 
Well, I have 4 big Yamaha's; a RX-V990, a DSP-A3090, a RX-V3000, and a RX-A3030. All still alive and kicking, without issue. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Plus, I do like these A/V receivers for stereo and surround. I like the fact that they're preamp/DAC's too (except the 990). Great sound, and flexible switching, and in surround, pretty respectable as well. Good enough to fool you that encoded Foley effects were coming from inside the house somewhere, instead of from within the movie. Good enough for me.
 
Just from my limited experience on the subject, many AVRs tend to have pretty good protection circuitry. I've had a few recently that were given up for dead by previous owners but all that was needed was a reset procedure found in the service manual.

This would seem like a good thing to me, rather than trying to find unobtanium parts for a vintage amp that some oik blew the crap out of. Oh and my Onkyo TX-,SR505 sounds great with stereo reproduction to me :-)
 
There would nothing at all wrong with picking up an older Yamaha AVR to use in stereo mode, especially if the price is right. They usually don't sell for much, so for less than $100, you'd be all set. Just add some decent speakers.
 
I gravitated from 70s totl receivers to post 2000 totl AVRs once I found out how good they sound.I don't listen at high volumes all the time but when I do I want to hear it clean and without distortion.For me thats what the amp sections in these do very well.Yamahas RXV1,RXZ9 and B&K 507.Not totl but very nice sounding is a Marantz SR6300 and a Yamaha RXV3200.This is where I'll probably stay.
 
Yamahas AVR were always a feature at our shop. The earlier CR Stereo receivers were much more dependable rarely showed up in the shop for repairs. Sound quality wise there are quite a few older units that easily surpass Yamaha. But I'll just say Sansui has shown to me over the years to be the most desirable in terms of sound quality. There are other brands that were almost never in the shop, Pioneer Ellte, Most Marantz and Tandberg, One line that sounded great, but every piece had to visit the shop once was B&K. Only the units that spent their life on an open shelf or in a rack with forced cool air seemed to have a long life, and even those had issues eventually. Now the separate amps did well as did the separate processors. But thats not what are talking about. I've owned NAD units and my son has had some too. Here again cooling is a very important issue. But if that is not an issue NADS do very well and though their sound is laid back compared so some Oriental brands, they are easy to listen to over the long hall.
 
I guess part of the reason I started this thread is to wonder if what I have is more 'cool factor' or if I could achieve equivalent sound on the cheap (and an onboard dac would be nice as well).
 
Back
Top Bottom