• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hitachi HT-500, Good table?

gary7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Looking at a Hitachi HT-500 TT. Looks to be good quality. Might be similar to a Pioneer PL-707. Any thoughts on it?
 
Register to hide this ad
Not much info about it but for what it's worth I love my Hitachi table. Going strong after some 2000 hours on it. Many say Hitachis are some of the last bargains because they are a bit unknown. Some cast aspersions about the direct drive motors for reasons that annoyingly they never expand on. Something about lack of torque or developing interference noise. The motor in mine is made by Matshushita though, ie Technics, so should be reliable.

Vinylengine says the arm is light. Which would indicate that it prefers higher compliance/lower tracking cartridges. I know that for my table and others similar by Hitachi I've found what lots of others have found - a Shure cart is way better than others. Though it was originally supplied with a rebranded Audio Technica which I haven't tried.

Just clocked your post count after writing that. You probably know all this anyway.
 
I’ve got 4 Hitachi tables, all very good. The 1970 PS-10 belt drive, ‘77 HT-460 and 463, and a linear tracker. All work great. The 460 is my test table for carts/styli. It’s been in near constant operation since 1978; I’m the second owner. It got a rest from 2005-2010 after the original owner passed away.

The 500 was a premium table when it debuted. It competed with the Denons and JVCs, minus the servo arm. Very high quality.
 
Looking at a Hitachi HT-500 TT. Looks to be good quality. Might be similar to a Pioneer PL-707. Any thoughts on it?

I had one and sold it, and still kick myself in the rear. It was an excellent table, the arm especially. Was a better table than the Denon tables I had as well. I have been looking for another one for a long while now. And it not having the servo arm didn't hurt it at all. The arm was lined with magnesium to counter feedback.
 
Last edited:
I had one and sold it, and still kick myself in the rear. It was an excellent table, the arm especially. Was a better table than the Denon tables I had as well. I have been looking for another one for a long while now. And it not having the servo arm didn't hurt it at all. The arm was lined with magnesium to counter feedback.
I think we all have done that. Several times.
 
Cool. One with original box from Canada? Good luck with it.

yes, it needs the screw to hold the headshell on though, also bought a headshell as it was missing it. Cover needs a little work on it as well, but for the price,it's worth it.
 
Well. Picked the HT-500 up. Little more rough than the pics showed. The AT120E cantilever broke. Dust cover scratched, should polish out. Should clean up nice. Everything seems to function. Got it for less than listed.

IMG_2585.JPG IMG_2586.JPG IMG_2587.JPG
 
Last edited:
yes, it needs the screw to hold the headshell on though, also bought a headshell as it was missing it. Cover needs a little work on it as well, but for the price,it's worth it.
This one has an AT shell, not the Hitachi original.
 
What kinda surprised me is the arm belt still worked. Usually it's stiff or turned to goo.
 
Nice! You did a nice job on the veneer too from what I can see on the pics. I like the look of that machine. Good pick up.
 
You could minimize it with a little color-matched fiber-filled wood filler, but that would require sanding and refinishing both of those faces. If it were mine I'd leave it as is. Some would re-veneer the entire thing. I would only ever consider that if it were a long-term keeper or a 'dream machine' of mine. I personally kinda like some war wounds on old used gear and don't tend to pursue the like-new look on gear. Choices, choices!

Still, a great looking machine just as it is. Nice job again!
 
I bought one locally a few months ago that came with the Ortofon OM series cartridge. Very good condition overall and works like a charm. I paid 350.00 and felt it was a reasonable price, the Seller was being lowballed which is not surprising but knowing that it is a very decent performing turntable I was glad to have found it.





IMG_5973.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom