• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Horn tweeter question

Tube Radio

Super Member
I am looking for a pair of horn tweeters to go in my four way active speaker system. These will be actively crossed over at 24 db/octave at 9.6 KHz

I looked on ebay and found these tweeters

Speakerlab EV Horn Tweeters WA4000

Realistic Horn Tweeters 40-1277

KLIPSCH K-74-K HORN TWEETER

Sony SS-S890 Horn Super Tweeter

ZENITH HORN TWEETERS EIA code on them is Jensen

university 4401 mid t tweeter horn

UTHA TWEETERS HORN X2 ( H-458 )


I saw some Magnavox horns, but I know they roloff mechanically at 13 KHz so I didn't consider them.

Which of those tweeters would be best to use as a super tweeter?

They will be paired with ALTEC 811B horns which are band passed at 24 db/octave active from 1.4-9.6 KHz and mounted directly above the ALTEC horns.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
For the money, i have used and REALLY like the Selenium ST-320. Sadly, they have been discontinued for a while now. But, Selenium makes other models that are from all accounts very much on par with these older cast aluminum ST-320's. I think Gordon W has used some of the similar Selenium ring radiator tweeters in various apps.

The ST-320's can still be found on ebay once in a while, that's where i got my 2nd pair.

[
 
Last edited:
I'm trying to get a reasonable size image to post. The ST-320 is a ~clone of the JBL 2405 slot tweeter, it's performance is closer than it's construction in terms of a "copy".

AFAIK, they only make them in a conical pattern horn now.

A couple PE offerings: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-350

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-355

Here is the ST-320:
st320-1.jpg
 
the Klipsch horn will be a one inch diaphragm and will likely be phenolic though it might have a poly diaphragm in it. Poly diaphragms are black and are very soft to the touch while the phenolics will vary from dark orange to dark brown but are very hard to the touch so easy to tell which. Phenolic diaphragms are much better than the soft poly diaphragms. The bonus part is that you can buy brand new Titanium diaphragms for the Klipsch tweeters from Bob Crites for $30.00 each. The Ti diaphragms are head and shoulders better than the phenolic diaphragms. So the Klipsch will offer you the posibility to upgrade and the are good tweeters out of the box stock. Post a couple of pictures if you can. Hope this is of use. Best regards Moray James.
 
here's some pics of the tweeters

Utah

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=320772312918

Zenith

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=150674378503

University

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=290618503622

Speakerlab

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=280235174985

Klipsch

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=390351552752

Realistic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=220871596804

Just remembered the Klipsch are 24.99 each buy it now. Imma get them then and if any of the others are good I'll get them too.

Forgot to mention the tweeters will be driven by an approx 15 WPC push pull 6BQ5 stereo amp. What 6BQ5 tubes would be best for this amp and provide good sounding treble?
 
Last edited:
What 6BQ5 tubes would be best for this amp and provide good sounding treble?
Output transformers that will reach up relatively flat to where you want the tweeters to go, and beyond will be far more critical than output tube choice. If the OPT's won't reach where you want your tweets to play, neither driver or output tubes will much matter.
 
I agree. Once I restore the amp I will do a frequency response test and see just how high the transformers will go. There are a couple capacitors in the feedback network of the amp. I will try the frequency response test with the caps installed and with them removed and see which gives the best high frequency response.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom