• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How big are the woofers in your main system?

HOW BIG ARE THE WOOFERS IN YOUR MAIN SYSTEM?

  • 4" or less

    Votes: 6 0.7%
  • 6" or less

    Votes: 58 6.3%
  • 8" or less

    Votes: 138 15.0%
  • 10" or less

    Votes: 144 15.6%
  • 12" or less

    Votes: 260 28.2%
  • 15" or less

    Votes: 275 29.9%
  • 18" or less

    Votes: 40 4.3%

  • Total voters
    921
I am surprised there are more people running 15s over 12s.

Attaboys.

My subs are smaller than my woofers lol.. I should almost just pull them out since they are not even turned on.
 
Each speaker in the pair has a 5 1/4 inch woofer. I know that seems like it would be overbearing, but foam bungs were included to put into the bass ports to reduce the low frequency output.
 
I am surprised there are more people running 15s over 12s.

Attaboys.

My subs are smaller than my woofers lol.. I should almost just pull them out since they are not even turned on.
Some sunny day I'll build some cabs for that pair of Altec 604Es I salvaged. Then I'll be in the 15" club. (grin)
Meanwhile those 12" JBLs will have to do, L100t3.
 
Honestly, I am pretty impressed with these 20 year old CV's. They sound good! Like.. for everything that I listen to anyway.. which is quite a bit. The mids and highs sound better than my Def Techs, Energy's, and Tannoys. And then the bass.. no subs needed.. but they are nice to have for the very bottom. Still not sure if I really need a GFA-555.. my 535II is pretty decent. But it is nice to have. Honestly, I like these so much that I am considering buying a new pair from their website. I have mine on silicon feet, but they are large at 41x16.5x16.5 and about 90lbs each..
 
Honestly, I am pretty impressed with these 20 year old CV's. They sound good! Like.. for everything that I listen to anyway.. which is quite a bit. The mids and highs sound better than my Def Techs, Energy's, and Tannoys. And then the bass.. no subs needed.. but they are nice to have for the very bottom. Still not sure if I really need a GFA-555.. my 535II is pretty decent. But it is nice to have. Honestly, I like these so much that I am considering buying a new pair from their website. I have mine on silicon feet, but they are large at 41x16.5x16.5 and about 90lbs each..
I bought a pair of those Adcom GFA555 to power the main system, one for the JBL L100t3s and the other powering a pair of Vandersteen Threes I picked up for a song. Funny thing is it all gets little use these days. The Magnavox 150s from 1957 (biamp tubes at 30 watts into a pair of L80t3s) power my second system in our spare bedroom upstairs.
 
I bought a pair of those Adcom GFA555 to power the main system, one for the JBL L100t3s and the other powering a pair of Vandersteen Threes I picked up for a song. Funny thing is it all gets little use these days. The Magnavox 150s from 1957 (biamp tubes at 30 watts into a pair of L80t3s) power my second system in our spare bedroom upstairs.
I kind of want another 555, but my speakers are pretty easy to drive.. but they can take some power so I will always be on the fence until I get another :D

Still a bit pricey in my area though.
 
My biggest Woofers are 12" :

jSRzTb-P1220140.jpg


My smallest Woofers are 4" :

W88yVb-P1240145.jpg


T
 
Awesome !
It was Matthew Polks last hurrah before selling the company. There were only 500 sets produced. Supposedly 250 were sold in America and the other 250 were sold overseas.

Each complete SRT set cost about $12,000 in 1995 dollars. I bought my sets around 18 years ago for a fraction of that but they needed some work like most do. I had the amps recapped and the sub drivers re-foamed by Polk when they still had an office in Baltimore. All I had to do was pay for shipping. They did all the work and supplied the parts for free. That's how great of a company Polk Audio used to be before Matthew Polk sold the company. They still make some good speakers but will probably never make a true "flagship" like the SRT again.

Over the years I collected everything I could get my hands on as far as NOS spare parts. I have just about everything from spare drivers to a pair of NOS amps. I plan on keeping these forever.
a fr forever system.
 
Back
Top Bottom