• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How do you catalogue your music???

andyc

Member
I've bought a new place that I move into in the new year (can't wait!) and I'm going to have decent size room to set up all my music, I will finally have the space for all my cd's, records and tapes. Now my question to you all is how do you catalogue your music?
Do you have it in alphabetical order?
Genre?
Record label?
Artist or related artists together?
Still unsure how I'm going to organize it all.
 
Register to hide this ad
By genre first, then alphabetized by first name of the artist or band name. I tried last name but I prefer first name. Bob Dylan under "B".
 
I have rock, jazz, blues, folk, etc. all filed together alphabetically by last name of artist or first letter of group (J for Jefferson Airplane, R for Todd Rundgren.) At the end I have compilations of various artists without any real organization. Then I have soundtracks (mostly b'way, some film). These are not yet alphabetized, but I should do that by name of show. Then the handful of spoken word, sound effects, and other oddballs like that, these are not alphabetized but grouped by similar content. Finally there's my "collection" of classical records which I am at a loss for organizing. Right now it's a mix... some grouped together by label, ballet music all together, opera all together.

iTunes organizes alphabetically by first name, I've gotten accustomed to that also and I could see doing my whole collection that way if I hadn't been doing it by last name for decades.
 
My categories are:

English/Irish/Scottish folk: alphabetical by artist (350 LPs)
Classical - alphabetical by composer, unless artist is more sensible (2500 LPs)
70s-80s Rock - alphabetical by artist (400 LPs)
Country/American folk - alphabetical by artist (100 LPs)
Reggae - alphabetical by artist (150 LPs)
Weird avant-garde rock - alphabetical by artist (100 LPs)
Indian classical music - alphabetical by artist (75 LPs)
60s Rock - alphabetical by artist (250 LPs)
Jazz & blues - not organized (50 LPs)
World music - not organized (50 LPs)
Medieval and Renaissance - more or less chronological (100 LPs)
Lute and guitar - not organizated (75 LPs)
Film music - not organized (50 LPs)
Audiophile LPs - not organized (75 LPs)
Arthur Fiedler - chronological by recording date (25 LPs)
trade and sale stock - not organized (1000 LPs)
unplayed and untested - not organized (350 LPs)
 
Classical music:

-Single composer: by composer name, then by work title, then either
by chronological order of recording date or by performer name (performer
being either conductor, soloist or chamber music ensemble);

-Multiple composers: either by composer of the longest work or by performer
as above;

Jazz, pop, rock, etc: by performer name, most of the time;

Film music: by film title;

Miscellaneous compilations: by album title.

It does get complicated!
 
My categories are:

English/Irish/Scottish folk: alphabetical by artist (350 LPs)
Classical - alphabetical by composer, unless artist is more sensible (2500 LPs)
70s-80s Rock - alphabetical by artist (400 LPs)
Country/American folk - alphabetical by artist (100 LPs)
Reggae - alphabetical by artist (150 LPs)
Weird avant-garde rock - alphabetical by artist (100 LPs)
Indian classical music - alphabetical by artist (75 LPs)
60s Rock - alphabetical by artist (250 LPs)
Jazz & blues - not organized (50 LPs)
World music - not organized (50 LPs)
Medieval and Renaissance - more or less chronological (100 LPs)
Lute and guitar - not organizated (75 LPs)
Film music - not organized (50 LPs)
Audiophile LPs - not organized (75 LPs)
Arthur Fiedler - chronological by recording date (25 LPs)
trade and sale stock - not organized (1000 LPs)
unplayed and untested - not organized (350 LPs)

Very nice.
 
I have four categories:

Various artists: organized by topic of compilation (such as all punk collections together, and all 4AD label stuff together)
Classical: alpha by composer or performer (depends on the title)
Pop/Rock/Jazz/Folk/whatever: alpha by performer, and not by the performer's first name
New Purchases: One section for recent acquisitions, to make them easy to find, with older titles culled and moved to the main collection every month or so
 
The Dymo labels I made say:

Early Music

Renaissance and Baroque

Classical and Romantic

Modern

Jazz

British Isles Folk

Roots and American Folk/Blues

Sixties/Seventies Rock & Psychedelia

Spoken/Comedy/Sound Effects

Miscellaneous and Nostalgic

--

Sub-grouping by Artist, Composer, Ensemble vary from category to category.

CDs and LPs are kept in separate rooms to avoid contamination.
 
Alphabetical by artist's last name / band's name. Only split genres for for soundtracks/original casts, various artists compilations, Christmas and classical. Usually I can find stuff.

Enjoy the music,
-Mark
 
for my main storage where my downstairs system lives, I catagorize by genre - both CDs and LPs have Jazz, Classical, and Rock/Blues.

Then alphabetically

In my upstairs area I keep around 60 - 80 LPs in waiting to clean, waiting to play, and waiting to be put away stacks
 
Back
Top Bottom