• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How do you catalogue your music???

Artist + Year (Oldest to Newest)

Gohan

Yes, I forgot to put that in my list. That's the lowest level categorization, as long as I can determine the year of release. Sometimes I go by the number on the jacket if it is the same label and numbering series.

I also have about 100 LPs "recently" purchased that are awaiting cleaning and disposition (keep and file, discard, or put aside to be traded/sold). Lastly I have about 150 LPs that have been mine since new but only recently taken from storage and haven't been filed yet.

One aspect I have yet to decide how to handle is solo efforts by people closely associated with groups and vice-versa. For example, does Jerry Garcia stay with the Grateful Dead, or does he go separately? Does Utopia go with Todd Rundgren? Likewise, how do I file Big Brother and the Holding Company and later Janis Joplin?
 
Categorically Speaking

I didn't realize how many people categorize alphabetically,I always felt that I'm the only one who needs to know where my music is...
I guess it would be by Genre,then by Discography.Like Bands and/or Era's together. :music:
Big Band,Classical,Jazz,Blues.
Fifties,Motown,Philly sound,DooWop.
the Beatles and Solo work,British Invasion.
Psychedelic,Protest,San Fran Bands.
CSN&Y,Doors,Hendrix,Led Zeppelin.
Eric Clapton and all his related bands.
Hard Rock,Arena Rock.
Southern Rock.
1970's Songwriters/Artists.
Reggae,DUB,SKA,Island Records.
Punk,New Wave,Eighties.
Gangster Rap,Hip-Hop,House.
Soundtracks,Dance,Disco.
Compilations,Box sets,Misc.
Gospel,Christmas Music.
 
Last edited:
Alphabetical by artist's name, Badfinger under B, Bad Company under C.. Sound tracks and Compilations are seperate. All into excel inventory database.
 
Usually whats listened to most is on top.Now I catagorize by keeping the music by the stereo it sounds best on.
 
All alphabetical.

classical (by composer)
jazz (by artist)
world (by artist)
rock and everything else (by artist)
 
A through Z by band name. Individual artists by last name. All genres together with a big, rotating "Recently Added" section where no rules apply.
 
I have a "most listened to" category of about 150 and they are alphabetically organized. The rest are in a less convenient place organized by genre.
 
The Rock is easy: 750 alphabetized by artist/arranged by release date. Daltry & Townsend are not with The Who which of course if filed under W.

The Classical is easy because I have so few: Alphabatized

The Jazz: I have no clue how to organize this because what I really need is a file that can cross reference musicians and vocalists who are guests on other performers works. There must be 500 Lp's. It was my father-in-laws collection.

My wife has about 750 albums that I never even look at. They are a mish-mash of everything you can imagine. The quality of the records are poor and I cringe when they are on the TT.
 
I'm into classical music. I follow the old traditional ordering of LP catalogs like Schwann or Grampohone:

For most discs, by the composer's alphabetical order. Then, following this order: symphonic music, chamber music, piano music, opera, choral and sacred works. Within each subsection, by alphabetical order of the main work in the record or cd. For the discs that are focused on a performer, again by alphabetical order of the performer, but following these categories: conductors, pianist, violin players, cello players, wind players, singers. Finally, there is a miscellanea section.
 
Alphabetical by last name of artist secondary sort by first name, or the name of the band (Minus "The" of course) Or Movie/Play title for soundtracks. All lumped together except I keep Comedy/oddball stuff seperate and holiday in another cube. Getting to the point though that I need to get dividers with letter denotations to help narrow down searches. I only have 1.5k albums give or take but it seems harder to find what I want lately. I have been re-amassing my collection after having lost all. (My fault no one else's) I can only imagine how bad, or good depending on your perspective, it would be if I still had my original collection.
 
I have section like that, too.... with five albums.
I guess you don't have trouble finding something to do on a rainy day!

Actually, about 10 years ago, I got completely caught up on the unplayed/unsorted material. I couldn't believe it.

In six months I was back to over 100. Now I am chugging along at about 300-400. I do clean and play LPs from these boxes, but new ones are constantly added at about the same rate.
 
Back
Top Bottom