• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How does H-D stay relevant in a changing market?

Been by Deal's Gap a few times but have no desire whatsoever to deal with it or other folk's nonsense on blind curves.

I figure it's one of those if I gotta go at least I am doing something I love :)

Edit: And I know what your saying, I have never had any center line crossers there yet. Had it happen to me twice in the middle of nowhere North Cascades, both time a little fast and Furious Honda car, not the same one.
 
I love the bags on my RK. They will hold 4 cases of bottles if you load them individually ;)
Good saddle bags certainly add to the usability. The neat thing about the ones on the ST is while they are normally locked in place, they are removable and have handles - effectively becoming suitcases. When we arrive at the Bed n Breakfast tomorrow night, I'll carry them in with our stuff. Charging the Sena bluetooth helmet intercoms now.

bags.jpg
 
I figure it's one of those if I gotta go at least I am doing something I love :)
I'm from the Rockies and have done some riding there and down here in Hill country. As much as I do enjoy riding, finding someone coming the other way in my lane while I have a line curve carving may be my least favorite part of it, so I play the percentages by avoiding the situation.
Basically, that's why I won't go there.
 
Good saddle bags certainly add to the usability. The neat thing about the ones on the ST is while they are normally locked in place, they are removable and have handles - effectively becoming suitcases. When we arrive at the Bed n Breakfast tomorrow night, I'll carry them in with our stuff. Charging the Sena bluetooth helmet intercoms now.

View attachment 1510079
My Gold Wing Interstate was a great grocery hauler, I kinda miss that but not it's nearly diabolical lack of comfort.
Otoh, my Indian Scout is nearly useless, except as a joyride cruiser. I can live with that.
 
Last edited:
I've got a crotch rocket part hanging on the Tree of Shame at the end of the Tail. Let's just say it's a long story that didn't end well. ;-}

I think the reckless young guys who used be attracted to HDs and being bikers are now attracted to crotch rockets.

I went that route myself with a Yamaha R1 and R6 with some sweet performance mods. I ended up getting rid of those as they tended to make my butt look big ... well ... bigger anyway.

Is my RK fast, hell no, it's not supposed to be

You'd probably have fun with my latest ride - a 2011 Ural Tourist. Thing will do maybe 75 downhill with a strong wind behind it (just a 45ci pulling 800 some pounds with around 40 horses to play with) but it will do it all day in the frozen tundra of Siberia or the Gobi desert, not to mention the two lane highway which is my preference anyway. Never in that much of a hurry on two wheels. I enjoy bugs in my teeth, but not hitting hard enough to break them, right?

Awesome have fun and be safe, lots of asshats in cages!!

... and there's not a whole lot you can do about that. Do everything right, and they'll still nail ya if it's your time. You know what they say about motorcycles - either you've crashed, or you will. Recent major accident here, t-boned an SUV at 50mph, which is why a two wheeler is just out of the question for me. I found out the Ural is real handicap friendly with some neat mods available, and I just gotta get the wind in my face again. Been a couple years now, and the most painful thing lately has been sitting on the porch listening to the bikes roll by. Besides, some of the most fun in having a bike is wrenching on one, and it's great to have grease under my nails again!
 
I'm from the Rockies and have done some riding there and down here in Hill country. As much as I do enjoy riding, finding someone coming the other way in my lane while I have a line curve carving may be my least favorite part of it, so I play the percentages by avoiding the situation.
Basically, that's why I won't go there.

Not sure if it’s good or bad but I am a “hold my beer and watch this” person. :rolleyes:
 
I love the bags on my RK. They will hold 4 cases of bottles if you load them individually ;)

I'm told I could fit a couple pony kegs in the trunk of the Ural ... beat that! <G>

tombstone-tail.jpg
 
I'm told I could fit a couple pony kegs in the trunk of the Ural ... beat that! <G>

tombstone-tail.jpg

I have actually be seriously considering one since we tent camp from the bike often. With my saddle bags and a 100 Liter sissy bar bag with my backpacking stuff we have plenty of room. The dog could go with a Ural :D

Shes dirty but dependable
RK.jpg
 
Also if you "hate" HD for whatever made up reasons you should at least run their Batteries. Only on the second one since Oct 2003.
 
Shes dirty but dependable
View attachment 1510094

Now there you got me beat. Mine's still in the "duct tape and chewing gum" phase of the build. Notice all the jumpers on the coffin tail light while I tried to figure out the weird color codes.

electrical-work-01.jpg


electrical-work-02.jpg


Lemme see ... the green wire's connected to the ... blue wire. The blue wire's connected to the ... ZAPPPP! wire ... (oops!)

PS - apparently one of the big buying groups is us old farts who either can't, or aren't comfortable, driving a standard bike. Big reason is also the SO ain't all that happy riding the rear seat after time's taken it's toll. Sitting in the sidecar, I even hear that you can hear and actually hold a conversation!

(Oh - and plan is to teach my Larry the Crash Test Dummy dummy I got for the sidecar to talk. Stay tuned.)

 
Last edited:
My Golf Wing Interstate was a great grocery hauler, I kinda miss that but not it's nearly diabolical lack of comfort.
Comfort is important for multi-hour rides especially to keep wifey happy. Good wind control with variable height windshield. Low vibration and noise levels. While my seats look stock, they have Spencers Seat Modifications to minimize iron butt syndrome. Along with Grip Puppies and Cramp Buster.

That has kept me happy with the bike for 11 years. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom