• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How loud before your planar speakers distort?

I tested my Maggies with my brother on Tuesday by cranking some live Genesis. I ran one pair of MG-IIb and one pair of MG-IIc simultaneously. One pair was driven by a 250 w SAE 2401 (375 w into 4 ohms) and one pair was driven by a 300 w SAE 2500 (450 w at 4 ohms). The MG-IIb pair was run through a self powered subwoofer with the crossover set to about 130 hz. Like others, I could get a consistent, undistorted sound level of 100 dB.

130Hz is a very high crossover point for Magnepans.

I routinely get 95dB+ peaks (dBC) from my 1.7's. They are crossed over at ~80Hz to a pair of DIY TL subs. 95dB+ peaks are achieved while just listening and not trying for maximum volume. I couldn't care less how loud they will actually play as long as they play loud enough for me.

FWIW: My Acoustat Spectra 22's are rated by Acoustat to produce 110dB@18' in a 14' x 22' x 8' room. I've never had them much over 105dBC (I was younger when I bought them). They also get crossed over at ~80Hz.
 
Back
Top Bottom