• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How many have switched from MM carts to LOMC?

How many have switched from MM carts to LOMC?

  • I switched and could never go back

    Votes: 61 43.0%
  • I switched but it wasn't really any better

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I switched back to MM after trying LOMC

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Both are good and it doesn't matter

    Votes: 58 40.8%
  • I went with HOMC and like it

    Votes: 11 7.7%

  • Total voters
    142
Our's has a place in the system where it shines, used mostly for experimentation. A Sutherland PHD took it's place and it doesn't care where it sits. Extremely quiet unit.
 
I have three go-to carts - Empire 4000d/iii, Nagaoka MP 500 and an ebony body Denon 103. They're on a mid-mass Denon tonearm (whatever the stock arm is on the Denon 50L turntable is). Pro-Ject Tube Box S headamp. May in the future switch to a Parks Budgie amp and SUT.

I like the Denon 103 but I don't think it's made me a MC convert. It has more air than the MI carts, but the others have more oomph and better soundstaging, particularly the Naggy. I just listened to Side C of Stereolab's Dots And Loops with the 103 while reading a magazine. It was nice. I listened to Side B with the Naggy - I couldn't even start reading an article because the music pulled me in too much.

Of course, the MP 500 is at list price 3x the cost of the Denon (I paid nowhere near list price). But we'll see how it goes when I receive in the mail next week my aluminum body 103 that got retipped with a line contact nude diamond stylus. At least with price point it willing be closer to the Naggy. We'll see about the sound.
 
Make sure about the IC routing that your not crossing inputs and outputs at the stage. And the output should be the last you rout to the Preamp trying to keep it loose and away from other IC.

And very good quality IC will help all of the above.

I'm lucky in that my phono/aux input is on one end of the preamp, so it doesn't really encounter any other signal cables along the way. The input and output do sort of cross--the phono input comes from the shelf above, so it does not lay directly on top of the output ICs, which lay flat on the shelf. Moving the phono stage has made no difference.

I've picked up no hum with this phono stage whatsoever.

I do wonder if the rushing noise is partly from the power supply, though. They do sell a battery power supply for the Nova phono stage. I could easily rig up a battery power supply for this, to see if it helps.

Two others I considered within my budget were tube based. The Jolida JD9 got crossed off the list once I saw all the modifications it needed. The Pro-Ject Tube Box DS hasn't been reviewed by anyone noteworthy as of yet.
 
They do sell a battery power supply for the Nova phono stage. I could easily rig up a battery power supply for this, to see if it helps.
Yes my nova had a complex battery system, it would switch from DC to AC depending on the battery power to run the stage.
Two others I considered within my budget were tube based. The Jolida JD9 got crossed off the list once I saw all the modifications it needed. The Pro-Ject Tube Box DS hasn't been reviewed by anyone noteworthy as of yet.

The SOTA Phono Head Amp comes up on the bay at times, I just let a NOS unit go last week since I have 4 of them.
Here is some info on it.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ent-head-amps-folks-are-using-or-suts.668294/

Here is the listing that just sold with a lot of info posted.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-old-sto...fRRo1n13Bi6eoffY5HLAY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
 
Of course, the MP 500 is at list price 3x the cost of the Denon (I paid nowhere near list price). But we'll see how it goes when I receive in the mail next week my aluminum body 103 that got retipped with a line contact nude diamond stylus. At least with price point it willing be closer to the Naggy. We'll see about the sound.

Who is doing the retipping? I had thought of doing that myself with an older cart. Not the 103, however.

I know I'm not noteworthy. But I will say the Pro-Ject Tube Box S is pretty damn good sounding. But it's a hybrid, not a full tube amp.

Hybrid isn't necessarily a bad thing. ;)

Yes my nova had a complex battery system, it would switch from DC to AC depending on the battery power to run the stage.

I probably would have tried one if it weren't outside my budget. A used Phonomena II+ was already stretching it.
 
I probably would have tried one if it weren't outside my budget. A used Phonomena II+ was already stretching it.

Well since their used prices vary. My first one was a bidding war $850 one that no one noticed was $240, the other two where around $500, so it all depends.
 
I use both. the Shure V15vxmr with SAS is my favorite MM but my Dynavector 20x2L LOMC with the Dynavector P75mk3 phono stage in the phono enhancer mode absolutely spanks everything i have.

at 150mlx - ortofon 2m black/bronze - at 15sa - shure v15lll - ortofon om40 - at 440mla - grado sonata reference - stanton 681eee - at oc9ml/ll
 
Last edited:
Who is doing the retipping? I had thought of doing that myself with an older cart. Not the 103, however.
Andy over at Phono Cartridge Retipping on the West Coast. My Denon tt came used with an incidental 103 on it - free of charge but busted cantilever. I put a Pulse DIY aluminum body on it then sent it to Andy for retipping. Tracking shows it left San Francisco on Saturday, should be here in Yokohama any day now.
My Nagaoka MP 500 - bought the body sans stylus used on the 'bay for $75. Bought a new stylus using credit card points on Rakuten. There are occasionally ways to get high-class carts at low-class prices.

at 150mlx - ortofon 2m black/bronze - at 15sa - shure v15lll - ortofon om40 - at 440mla - grado sonata reference - stanton 681eee - at oc9ml/ll

That's why I love AK. It's like Carts Anonymous over here.
My name is Ben. And it's been four weeks since I bought my last turntable cartridge....
 
My current collection from newest to oldest includes: Ortofon 2M Mono SE, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Ortofon 2M Black, Audio Technica ATN150ANV, AT33 Mono ANV, Stanton 881, Shure V15 VMR, Sure V15,IV, an assortment of old Empires and Pickerings. I have 5 turntables and counting including a VPI Prime, A VPI HW19 MkIII/SME III, and a Technics SL-1200 with full KAB mods. The debate about MM vs. MC has been part of my life since I was in the audio business for most of the 1970s. I don't know which is better, both have good and bad points. It is all fun. Let the debate rage on!
 
I switched from A MM cart to A HOMC cart, and then to A LOMC cart.

I wouldn't say I have anywhere near enough listening experience to make an assertion about the types of carts as a class.
 
I don't see a choice that would describe my preferences. I still used both MM and MI on some tables and enjoy them, but if given the choice I like the LOMC best and then my HOMC next. But for my mono table I use a MM, and on another table I use a Grado MI which I think sounds very good. On my old Empire tables I like the Staton 681 or I might prefer the 881 best, much has to do with the table and tonearm that you use.
 
Er, I might have just made an MC my favorite cart. The retipped 103 upon initial listens seems very balanced, nice details, very musical - still gotta fix the VA, but all the intangibles seem to be there.

PSX_20160603_204913.jpg
 
I have an AT oc9 ml iii, a denon dl-305, dl207, dl103 and also 301 mk ii. Throw in some dynavectors....a 10x4 and karat 17d2mr. I listen to all of them and like all of them. I am more inclined to listen to the LOMC cartridges when listening to jazz, balladeers (Leonard Cohen), lighter rock and classical. I think that this can be very system specific. I have a decent system. I wouldn't classify it as "high-end", but it is good enough for me to appreciate a good LOMC cartridge. I rotate turntables in and out of my systems and am currently loving the Tannoy/Micro TM55DD turntable that I have hooked up. It does dictate, to me anyway, that the LOMC cartridges sound better. This table runs dead silent, has a non-existent sound floor, and is my favorite turntable. The price point of the LOMC cartridges that I play would logically make one think that they are better than the MM cartridges that I have. I would tend to agree with that assessment, but will add that I have some MM cartridges and a piezo-electric Micro Acoustic MA-2002e that give the LOMC cartridges a serious run for their money, and come in at a much lower price point.

I had an Audio Technica AT 160ML that sounded every bit as good as most of the LOMC's that I have except perhaps for the AT OC9/ML iii, the Denon DL-305, and the Dynavector karat 17d2 mr, and it gave them a run for their money. When you throw in the cost of an SUT to allow you to play your LOMC's through your phono stage, (okay...I have a LesBox modified Yaqin MS23b phono stage that I have to use an SUT with), you are talking about some significant coinage. I purchased the AT160ML a few years ago from Stereoneedles.com.....got it for a relatively reasonable price. I loved that cartrdge and am still weeping about accidentally destroying it a few weeks ago. Amazing sound across the board....detail...midrange....bass...separation and soundstage were all excellent. I am listening to an AT 150MLX now, but it is not as good.

I have a Shure V15 type iii with a NOS vn35he stylus that is an absolutely wonderful cartridge. It came on the Tannoy/Micro turntable when I purchased it. It is dynamic and detailed and I love it for Rock music especially, although it is a very versatile cartridge and can play anything well. I also have a Shure V15RS with a Jico SAS vn5xmr stylus on it that is truly amazing. It is sweet and detailed and was a true bargain. I got the cartridge for virtually nothing and the stylus was 180 shipped. For the money it is absolutely amazing.

The Micro Acoustic MA-2002e came in at about 250 dollars and the stylus is NOS. I had heard about this cartridge but never thought that I would lay my hands on one and I simply got lucky and found it on a website after googling and trying to locate the stylus. It was listed as just the stylus but I was shipped a cartridge and stylus when I ordered it. That cartridge makes me feel less sad about destroying my AT160ML. I absolutely love it. There are also some fine Empire MM cartridges out there that are very under appreciated.

I guess what I am saying is....a really good LOMC will probably perform better than a really good MM if you have the system to support it. As far as bang for the buck...I think a really good MM cartridge is a better value and will perform at a level that is very close to that of the LOMC for a lot less money. It is also nice NOT to be a nervous wreck when swapping cartridges in and out. The LOMC cartridges that I have make me a bit nervous....not gonna just get a new stylus for an LOMC unless you are talking about retips.

Just my 2 cents.....I am very happy to listen to my Shure v15, Shure V15Rs , AT150MLX , Signet TK9, and not be stressed about breaking anything....and by the way...they sound really, really good to me as well.

I will say that initially I purchased MM cartridges exclusively. I only went to the MC cartridges after doing some reading and then puchasing the ubiquitous Denon dl103 and dl110 cartridges. The DL110 piqued my interest enough to start aiming a bit higher. The Denon DL 103 produces amazing sound for a conical stylus...it really rocks.

I think that I have reached the limit as far as what I am going to spend on LOMC cartridges as I believe that I am at the point of "diminishing returns" where I am never going to have a system that is going to be able to display the nuances that purchasing a really expensive LOMC cartridge might bring forth. I am pretty happy with what I have and can neither afford nor justify spending more without selling some of what I already have. The Dynavector Karat 17d2 MR is about as far as I am willing to climb up the price chain.
 
Last edited:
I have an AT oc9 ml iii, a denon dl-305, dl207, dl103 and also 301 mk ii. Throw in some dynavectors....a 10x4 and karat 17d2mr. I listen to all of them and like all of them. I am more inclined to listen to the LOMC cartridges when listening to jazz, balladeers (Leonard Cohen), lighter rock and classical. I think that this can be very system specific. I have a decent system. I wouldn't classify it as "high-end", but it is good enough for me to appreciate a good LOMC cartridge. I rotate turntables in and out of my systems and am currently loving the Tannoy/Micro TM55DD turntable that I have hooked up. It does dictate, to me anyway, that the LOMC cartridges sound better. This table runs dead silent, has a non-existent sound floor, and is my favorite turntable. The price point of the LOMC cartridges that I play would logically make one think that they are better than the MM cartridges that I have. I would tend to agree with that assessment, but will add that I have some MM cartridges and a piezo-electric Micro Acoustic MA-2002e that give the LOMC cartridges a serious run for their money, and come in at a much lower price point.

I had an Audio Technica AT 160ML that sounded every bit as good as most of the LOMC's that I have except perhaps for the AT OC9/ML iii, the Denon DL-305, and the Dynavector karat 17d2 mr, and it gave them a run for their money. When you throw in the cost of an SUT to allow you to play your LOMC's through your phono stage, (okay...I have a LesBox modified Yaqin MS23b phono stage that I have to use an SUT with), you are talking about some significant coinage. I purchased the AT160ML a few years ago from Stereoneedles.com.....got it for a relatively reasonable price. I loved that cartrdge and am still weeping about accidentally destroying it a few weeks ago. Amazing sound across the board....detail...midrange....bass...separation and soundstage were all excellent. I am listening to an AT 150MLX now, but it is not as good.

I have a Shure V15 type iii with a NOS vn35he stylus that is an absolutely wonderful cartridge. It came on the Tannoy/Micro turntable when I purchased it. It is dynamic and detailed and I love it for Rock music especially, although it is a very versatile cartridge and can play anything well. I also have a Shure V15RS with a Jico SAS vn5xmr stylus on it that is truly amazing. It is sweet and detailed and was a true bargain. I got the cartridge for virtually nothing and the stylus was 180 shipped. For the money it is absolutely amazing.

The Micro Acoustic MA-2002e came in at about 250 dollars and the stylus is NOS. I had heard about this cartridge but never thought that I would lay my hands on one and I simply got lucky and found it on a website after googling and trying to locate the stylus. It was listed as just the stylus but I was shipped a cartridge and stylus when I ordered it. That cartridge makes me feel less sad about destroying my AT160ML. I absolutely love it. There are also some fine Empire MM cartridges out there that are very under appreciated.

I guess what I am saying is....a really good LOMC will probably perform better than a really good MM if you have the system to support it. As far as bang for the buck...I think a really good MM cartridge is a better value and will perform at a level that is very close to that of the LOMC for a lot less money. It is also nice NOT to be a nervous wreck when swapping cartridges in and out. The LOMC cartridges that I have make me a bit nervous....not gonna just get a new stylus for an LOMC unless you are talking about retips.

Just my 2 cents.....I am very happy to listen to my Shure v15, Shure V15Rs , AT150MLX , Signet TK9, and not be stressed about breaking anything....and by the way...they sound really, really good to me as well.

I will say that initially I purchased MM cartridges exclusively. I only went to the MC cartridges after doing some reading and then puchasing the ubiquitous Denon dl103 and dl110 cartridges. The DL110 piqued my interest enough to start aiming a bit higher. The Denon DL 103 produces amazing sound for a conical stylus...it really rocks.

I think that I have reached the limit as far as what I am going to spend on LOMC cartridges as I believe that I am at the point of "diminishing returns" where I am never going to have a system that is going to be able to display the nuances that purchasing a really expensive LOMC cartridge might bring forth. I am pretty happy with what I have and can neither afford nor justify spending more without selling some of what I already have. The Dynavector Karat 17d2 MR is about as far as I am willing to climb up the price chain.
Really nice post. My journey hasn't been exactly the same but I bet we'll end up at the same place.

Currently one Table has an AT33ptgii and the other has a Goldring 1042. I'm about to put two AT33 E's on both tables to do some heads up listening/comparing. Then I'll either leave the 33E on one and try an AT33 SA or a Soundsmith Boheme… haven't made up my mind yet.

So far I've tried over twenty carts, some you mention in your post.
 
Really nice post. My journey hasn't been exactly the same but I bet we'll end up at the same place.

Currently one Table has an AT33ptgii and the other has a Goldring 1042. I'm about to put two AT33 E's on both tables to do some heads up listening/comparing. Then I'll either leave the 33E on one and try an AT33 SA or a Soundsmith Boheme… haven't made up my mind yet.

So far I've tried over twenty carts, some you mention in your post.

Soundsmith carts kickass ass!!! They are Moving Iron though and I think sound the best out of most of what I have tried. The Carmen I had for awhile until my granddaughter mangled the stylus was my fave
 
I have gone back and forth over the years. I am currently using a Grace F9E MM which is wonderful with the system I have now. It is mounted to aGrace 707 arm and a modified Thorens TD-150
 
Soundsmith carts kickass ass!!! They are Moving Iron though and I think sound the best out of most of what I have tried. The Carmen I had for awhile until my granddaughter mangled the stylus was my fave
That's a great recommendation. Your opinion or impression carry a great deal of weight with me. I hate the "unknown". Since going to the AT33ptgii from a Goldring 1042, and comparing against a dynavector 10x5 left me at the AT33ptgii, I'm apprehensive to go away from MC… The AT33SA seems like the most secure or safest next step to invest in. But I can get a Rockin deal on a Boheme and I've always wanted to try a soundsmith. It also seems backward because I did a heads up shoot out of 5 SUT's.

Decisions Decisions…

I listen to a lot of different kinda of music. My main genre is HardRock. Zeppelin, Rival Sons, Van Halen, Thin Lizzy. I also really enjoy Big Band, Jazz too. Keeping a cart with a best overall quality is also an agonizing mountain of compromise.
 
Back
Top Bottom