• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How to brand-match receivers/turntables!

DBlueberry

New Member
Hello AK world! this is my first post here.

I have a vintage Yamaha CR-800. I currently have an old Dual turntable, but I am more interested in getting a really high quality original Yamaha turntable. Peferably wood and from same era as the CR800.

I am an enthusiast (probably much like most of you here on this site). I am getting a custom record table built to house my receiver and about 400 records. So I am trying to make this the centerpiece of my living room!

Here's what I want:

Quality matching Yamaha turntable
Quality matching Yamaha tape deck (as close to the year as possible, although I don't know if they were making tape decks at same time the CR800 released)
Quality matching Yamaha speakers.

I don't know Jack about speakers! my current Fishers have a nice cloth front that I love, but they're friggin almost 3 feet tall! I need speakers that are much more manageable in size!

PS- I would prefer to keep everything in the vintage analog era. 20180308_173756~2.jpg

Please help ! Thanks everyone!
 

Attachments

  • 20180308_173842~2.jpg
    20180308_173842~2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 20
Register to hide this ad
Hello AK world! this is my first post here.

I have a vintage Yamaha CR-800. I currently have an old Dual turntable, but I am more interested in getting a really high quality original Yamaha turntable. Peferably wood and from same era as the CR800.

Please help ! Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the AK forums.

The Yamaha CR- 800 is from 1974.

Do your search in that era. :thumbsup:
 
NS-670 or 690 loudspeakers maybe to large for your app.
YP-701 go to vinylengine.com and look around at the various ( YP - xxx turntables)
TC- 800 or 1000 tape decks
 
The CR-800 has 45 watts per channel when new.
Some Yamaha speakers that might pair well with that are the NS-30T / 50T / 70T, they're well reviewed and classy looking and don't need a ton of power.
 
Thank you to EVERYONE so far! This is great information! Quick question to yall... If I'm running a Yamaha R-500 or a Yamaha CR-800, I wouldn't necessarily NEED a preamp... But would a preamp improve the sound any? Both of these receivers are great (although the CR-800 is obviously vastly superior to the R-500). Both have phono input too. So would an equalizer do more for the quality of my sound than a preamp? Or are both unnecessary space-wasters?

Again, thanks to you all. I've really enjoyed this site and I'm looking forward to contributing more to the overall community!

- David
 
My dad got for his wedding present, a stereo consisting of:

CR-800
NS-645
YP-450 with shure cartridge

All bought together and new in early 1976, at A&B Sound in Vancouver Canada
 
Thank you to EVERYONE so far! This is great information! Quick question to yall... If I'm running a Yamaha R-500 or a Yamaha CR-800, I wouldn't necessarily NEED a preamp... But would a preamp improve the sound any? Both of these receivers are great (although the CR-800 is obviously vastly superior to the R-500). Both have phono input too. So would an equalizer do more for the quality of my sound than a preamp? Or are both unnecessary space-wasters?

Again, thanks to you all. I've really enjoyed this site and I'm looking forward to contributing more to the overall community!

- David

You wouldn't need a preamp or eq if you had a nice receiver like the CR-800. Put that money towards nice speaker stands instead for better sound than speakers on the floor or on the same piece of furniture as the stereo.
 
Back
Top Bottom