• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How to ensure genuine Jico

cblistener

New Member
New here. I just received a Jico VN35HE from a vendor on Amazon for my V15 iii. Supposed to be genuine and it did ship from Japan. The stylus is not straight in the brass carrier (points somewhat left). I left a message and photo with the vendor. We'll see how its handled.

Seems like quite an oversight from a company with a good reputation like Jico.

Anyone have experience with buying Jico thru Amazon?
 
Register to hide this ad
Anyone have experience with buying Jico thru Amazon?
I have purchased a couple of dozen styli directly from JICO and have had only one cantilever that was off-center. They emailed me a shipping label to send it back, once received and inspected, they sent me a replacement.

I would never buy a stylus from Aholazon
 
At one time the name Jico was synonymous with quality so every tom dick and harry claimed their needles were Jico. As a result, Jico started printing their name on the stylus shank of export models.

Buy direct from the source to avoid imitations.
 
Contacted Jico whether they could produce a couple of (Ortofon's) Stylus 30 but with SAS/B.
Alas, they said they do not do customisations...
 
Contacted Jico whether they could produce a couple of (Ortofon's) Stylus 30 but with SAS/B.
Alas, they said they do not do customisations...
what's wrong with the standard 30 stylus JICO offers?

I've been very happy with their standard replacements and don't understand the fascination with SAS

 
I will never use aluminium+ellipticals, I prefer berillium+FG (as was on "Korwet-008") or berillium+SAS|MicroRidge. As I now moved to a P-Mount turntable, - I'm looking for the best possible needle+cantilever for the Ortofon OMP pickup. At least - a Stylus 40 could possibly do.
 
I will never use aluminium+ellipticals, I prefer berillium+FG (as was on "Korwet-008") or berillium+SAS|MicroRidge. As I now moved to a P-Mount turntable, - I'm looking for the best possible needle+cantilever for the Ortofon OMP pickup. At least - a Stylus 40 could possibly do.
The OM30 is the best one. I don’t recommend the OM40 due to its surface noise
 
What you call surface noise could be just Fritz Gyger's exceptional flatness of frequency response - well into ultrasound region. That's what people with conical needles find unfamiliar/strange.
 
What you call surface noise could be just Fritz Gyger's exceptional flatness of frequency response - well into ultrasound region. That's what people with conical needles find unfamiliar/strange.
Or it could just be a poor polish of the diamond. Surface noise is linked to friction.
 
How to ensure genuine Jico?
Buying directly from Jico.
https://www.jico-stylus.com/
LPtunes and Mixware are the only distributors in the US that sells genuine Jico styli! Also, if I'm not mistaken, "Jico" is laser engraved on the shaft. However, I also believe that earlier styli had a black marking on the cantilever. I have a Jico stylus, purchased directly from Jico about 4 years ago, that arrived in the official Jico case, for my Shure M75e Type 2 cartridge body. The stylus does not have "Jico" engraved on the shaft, but does have the black mark on the cantilever. Hope all this helps!
 
Surface noise is linked to friction.
And friction is linked to pressure, which - for the same level of tracking force - is inversly proportional to the contact area. And FGs (Stylus 40) have larger contact area than FLs (Stylus 30). Only the Replicants have larger area than that. Alas, Ortofon too refused to do custom stylii - "a Forty with the Replicant". :(
 
And friction is linked to pressure, which - for the same level of tracking force - is inversly proportional to the contact area. And FGs (Stylus 40) have larger contact area than FLs (Stylus 30). Only the Replicants have larger area than that. Alas, Ortofon too refused to do custom stylii - "a Forty with the Replicant". :(
I measured friction way back and OM40 was not the champ. Polish is needed and Shure used their MASAR polish procedure to reduce noise and record wear. How the FG stylus is polished is not known, but it does have higher noise than other contact-line or ellipticals that I have tested.
 
How the FG stylus is polished is not known, but it does have higher noise than other contact-line or ellipticals that I have tested.
It (the FG stylus on berillium cantilever) has wider and flatter frequency response, that's why some people perceive that as "higher noise", - no elliptical stylus can read HF end good enough.
I read (on some FG leaflet) that FGs are doubly-polished.
 
I will never use aluminium+ellipticals, I prefer berillium+FG (as was on "Korwet-008") or berillium+SAS|MicroRidge. As I now moved to a P-Mount turntable, - I'm looking for the best possible needle+cantilever for the Ortofon OMP pickup. At least - a Stylus 40 could possibly do.
a stylus 20 is all you need for a p-mount setup..a stylus 40 needs adjustment
 
Back
Top Bottom