• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How to get smoke residue off amp faceplate?

canuckaudiog

On a quest for high fidelity
Hey AK,

I picked up this really cool set of old Electrohome tube gear, and unfortunately it spent a lot of time with a smoker which has coated the faceplate and turned it a yellowish/brownish color.

I've been using a magic eraser and rubbing alcohol, but I'm finding it's starting to affect the lettering. So, does anyone have a possible solution to turn the faceplate back to its white color without taking off the lettering?

Here's a picture.

2sb4yyt.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I use a citrus based cleaner.
Usually something made with oranges.
The $1 stuff from the $1 store works great.
 
Simple Green and warm water will wash it right off, However sample a little spot first as sometimes the silk screen lettering paint can fail do to the nicotine. Then follow up with Orange Glo
 
Second the simple green and warm water assisted with a magic eraser.
 
Not sure what the faceplate is made of... if it's metal,then just warm water soaked on a cloth using plenty of elbow grease would be my starting point. That way there's no risk of damage.
 
I use warm water on a paper towel with a drop of dish soap and a toothbrush. Seems to work pretty well and I haven't had the lettering come off any time I tried it. I save magic eraser for the stains that don't come off this way.
 
I think any of these would work well, but avoid the letters. Qtip around them; as it seems the printing is not so hearty.

Magic eraser and simple green and denatured alcohol are my go to.

I see a lot of kit, with nicotine staining. makes you want to quit smoking..
 
Works super for me on Yamaha gear. For both black and silver faced.


Yea, I worry about removing lettering. Magic eraser seems mildly abrasive, I use it to remove fingerprints on and around light switches in the home and it does take off a bit of paint. I guess the method of application and the age and condition of lettering on vintage gear varies, but I'd rather not take the chance. I've made irreversible mistakes before and they're hard to live with.
 
Simple green is a great suggestion but I would try WD-40, it should take that stuff right off and is completely harmless to the lettering and any clear coat finish that may be on there. I would not use magic eraser is an abrasive (think super fine wet sanding) and IMHO not suitable for something with screened lettering and possibly clear coat on it. Good luck and let us know how you make out!
 
Detergent/Ammonia solution in hot water is a miracle-worker on interior walls/painted surfaces. Around here, the brand is "Parson's Sudsy Ammonia", but I've seen "store brands" in other regions, and I'm sure there are other, name-brand competitors. All I see now is the lemon-scented version, there used to be a plain "ammonia-scented" version. Either one works FABULOUS on cigarette smoke.

NO promises on removing silkscreened letters or logo, however. Mix weak, test somewhere inconspicuous.
 
Warm water and dish soap. Let it soak for a bit and it'll probably wipe right off. Use a sponge or soft cloth and it shouldn't bother the lettering.
 
Whatever you do I'd take a lot of pictures of the lettering just in case it doesn't make it through. That way you have a good starting point to get it put back on with silk screen, vinyl, whatever.
 
Thanks guys, tons of great suggestions here.

The Simple Green sounds like a great solution. I also should have some ammonia kicking around, never thought of that. That might work too.

I'm going to give a couple of these suggestions a try tonight, I'll report back. I'd love to get this amp looking new again!
 
Can anyone suggest a good way to intentionally remove lettering? I'm using a silver Cambridge DVD as a cd player and would like to get rid of the DIVX, HDMI, etc. logos on the face plate.
 
Armour All protectant and a toothbrush works well for me and then wipe with a paper towel and soapy water.

Mark
 
Back
Top Bottom