• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hum

As it turns out, no on both accounts.
Adding a ground plug to equipment that doesn’t have it originally is never a good idea. People do it, but people do lots of things.
I’ve restored 19 of these late 50’s RCA’s (very full basement) and have truly enjoyed the challenges, but this is the only one I’ve installed a three prong plug on…..not sure why either. Of the 19, only this one has given me this kind of issue. I won’t be installing 3 prong anymore for sure. As it turned out, the new cartridge was bad. All good now!
 
I’ve restored 19 of these late 50’s RCA’s (very full basement) and have truly enjoyed the challenges, but this is the only one I’ve installed a three prong plug on…..not sure why either. Of the 19, only this one has given me this kind of issue. I won’t be installing 3 prong anymore for sure. As it turned out, the new cartridge was bad. All good now!

Not gonna lie, I’ve installed IEC 13 (standard) grounded sockets in a few older pieces of gear where it was just easier and nicer looking to do so. I just leave the ground floating in such cases to avoid any problems. I’d have used IEC 10 (ungrounded) but those are really difficult to source and the cables are hard to come by too. Also, polarity check before it all goes together just to make certain it’s all good.

Such is life, glad you got your problem sorted out easily. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom