• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hurricane Hilary - SoCal Takes a Rare Hit

@skippy_ps

Is that the Whitewater River? or, one of the smaller canyons?? I heard that the Whitewater flowed pretty hard from up above the sanctuary to the north.
My dad lived out in Indian Canyon area for about 20 years, right where the main highway makes a drastic right angle turn, and starts heading south. We had to cross a fairly large wash, a concrete arizona crossing, to get to his place. There was a golf course there as well, and I used to fish one of the water hazards when I'd go visit.
Yeah, that would sort of be an extension of Whitewater but it's not supposed to be there, of course. I guess the idea is that minor flooding is supposed to dissipate to the west of Indian Canyon Dr over a large flat area there. But the water goes where it wants to and that's what it did. In that section of the road there is no bridge or culverts. Nothing. But then I've never seen flooding like this in that area.

The Indian Canyon area is about 7 miles (or so) south of the above area. I think the road that you're talking about is South Palm Canyon that sorta juts off Highway 111. The golf course is at S Palm Canyon and Bogert Trail if you want to find it on a map. There used to be an old-school country club there at the golf course but it was closed maybe 30 years ago and pushed down.
 
Wow! Time for Palm Springs to break out the Cat D10 and clear the road. That's a lot of sand.
Yep, it's a huge mess. There's not much to be done until all of that dries out as there's nowhere for that water to go but where it's going.

All of that area is usually bone dry 365 days of the year.

Murray
 
Yeah, that would sort of be an extension of Whitewater but it's not supposed to be there, of course. I guess the idea is that minor flooding is supposed to dissipate to the west of Indian Canyon Dr over a large flat area there. But the water goes where it wants to and that's what it did. In that section of the road there is no bridge or culverts. Nothing. But then I've never seen flooding like this in that area.

The Indian Canyon area is about 7 miles (or so) south of the above area. I think the road that you're talking about is South Palm Canyon that sorta juts off Highway 111. The golf course is at S Palm Canyon and Bogert Trail if you want to find it on a map. There used to be an old-school country club there at the golf course but it was closed maybe 30 years ago and pushed down.

Yes, thats it, Bogert Trail.
 
Yep, it's a huge mess. There's not much to be done until all of that dries out as there's nowhere for that water to go but where it's going.

All of that area is usually bone dry 365 days of the year.

Murray
That's going to be a pain in the ass for a while. At least you're still making electricity.

All the best, Bob
 
That's going to be a pain in the ass for a while. At least you're still making electricity.

All the best, Bob
Yep, the area to the left (west) on the pic I posted is mostly this:

5CzZlsc.jpg
 
Thanks for the heads up to that other poster, who apparently could not take a hint and is banned from this thread ...

He's now blocked for general trolling and curmudgeonly behavior and just generally dancing around the Politics issue -

For my part, I hope he's not blocked permanently. Thanks for all you do around here, Heather. All the volunteers around here get scant acknowledgement of the many hours donated to keep this place on an even keel.

Think I'll go rake the common area. Pine needles are an inch thick everywhere.
 
A nice little piece of property for sale there! ,........................................ ^

I've spent endless hours exploring the little canyons and streams in this area, ^. the headwaters of the mighty Santa Ana river; Forest Falls, Angelus Oaks, Seven Oaks area.

In Feb. of this year, I was up there again, and ended up getting stuck in a muddy rut for the night about 7 miles out of a steep uphill 15 mile dirt road, with a number of creek crossings. I hiked out the next morning, genuinely worried about how I was going to get out of there. Then, I was so fortunate in finding a wonderful gentleman, at the first home that I came to, in a very tiny wild outback community,, and who offered me a handshake, a cup of coffee, and, then his 4x4 SUV, and he got me unstuck. Forever grateful to him for that.
His house is in a little community called Seven Oaks, which experienced a massive flash flooding episode. His place is at a point where the canyon narrows, and, a massively wide flow (for this canyon) gets compressed. I tried to contact him, but, went straight to a voice mail box.

The dirt road that is the access to a beautiful little canyon in there is likely destroyed ( the forst service roads just beyond Seven Oaks), and, I can only imagine what the little creek in there became.
It might sound strange, but, this area, the Santa Ana River, and its tributaries, is a massive monster of a river, and it seemed to have awakened in this event.

Please, think good thoughts for Daniel of Seven Oaks. He is one of the wonderful people, and likely needs all the good thoughts that he can get.

Here is a shorter video that gets right to the point
 
Last edited:
A nice little piece of property for sale there! ,........................................ ^

I've spent endless hours exploring the little canyons and streams in this area, ^. the headwaters of the mighty Santa Ana river; Forest Falls, Angelus Oaks, Seven Oaks area.

In Feb. of this year, I was up there again, and ended up getting stuck in a muddy rut for the night about 7 miles out of a steep uphill 15 mile dirt road, with a number of creek crossings. I hiked out the next morning, genuinely worried about how I was going to get out of there. Then, I was so fortunate in finding a wonderful gentleman, at the first home that I came to, in a very tiny wild outback community,, and who offered me a handshake, a cup of coffee, and, then his 4x4 SUV, and he got me unstuck. Forever grateful to him for that.
His house is in a little community called Seven Oaks, which experienced a massive flash flooding episode. His place is at a point where the canyon narrows, and, a massively wide flow (for this canyon) gets compressed. I tried to contact him, but, went straight to a voice mail box.

The dirt road that is the access to a beautiful little canyon in there is likely destroyed ( the forst service roads just beyond Seven Oaks), and, I can only imagine what the little creek in there became.
It might sound strange, but, this area, the Santa Ana River, and its tributaries, is a massive monster of a river, and it seemed to have awakened in this event.

Please, think good thoughts for Daniel of Seven Oaks. He is one of the wonderful people, and likely needs all the good thoughts that he can get.

:hug:
 
I live in north San Diego county, between Vista & San Marcos. Live up on a hill, high enough to have a mini ocean view.
It never rained hard but never stopped raining Sat late nite through Mon morn. Got 2½" & wind high was 17mph
 
I just off of the phone with my friend, Daniel, who I mentioned above. He is OK. But, boy did he have a tale to tell.
The flood waters came up to the road just outside of his house, which is like 35' higher than the river bottom; that left a mere foundation depth before it reached his house; way too close!. He said that the initial wall of water was 100yd wide and 30' deep, and, due to the relocated rocks and trees/debris, it stayed that way for an extended period. He got into his truck and drove up a road on the property, and got high enough to avoid any possible flood sweeping him off. He hung there and waited until it was safe enough to return to the house.
There is a dirt road small bridge about a half mile downstream of his house, and, I used to use that road all the time in accessing that area. It is a dirt road, and, is a lot quicker way down into there. But, that road has lots of washout issues up higher. It is a wildfire control road, so, priority will go to repair on that road. That little dirt road bridge is completely buried under boulders and debris. The main paved road bridge into the community is gone, and the backup bridge is deeply buried, but locals are working on it. Hes trying to get a truck to that safe side of the river (a small creek in normal times), so that he can get back to somewhat of a normal life.

It was really nice to talk with him.

oh yeah, he said that they got 12" of rain that caused it to flash flood.
 
Last edited:
One last gift from Hilary. I spend this hot sweaty afternoon digging/shaveling/raking weeds all over my yard. Can't believe weeds want to come up at the end of Summer.
 
My weeds got a total boost from it as well. I thought I'd finally beat them back for the year, then, boom, lots of rain, amnd new growth. I'll be out with the weed trimmer again, knockin' em back.
 
ouch!
When I was a kid, we were visiting some relatives, and using their swimming pool. WE were throwing a ball around, and lost control of it. So, I jumped into action, and ran out onto what I thought was a grassy lawn area where the ball had rolled to. I got about 25' into this area, when sudden;y, I was stopped in my tracks, in excruciating pain. It was those goathead seeds with thier prickers, and I had them all in my bare feet. I felt like I was trapped, without any ability to get back to safe ground, as every step added more pain.

This is what is dogging me terribly right now. Its called Canadian Horseweed, I just learned. I've called it Milkweed, since childhood, having made up that name because of the sticky white sap that comes out if you disturb it.
conyza_canadensis.jpg

The flowers turn into puff balls of seeds about the size of a marble that act just like dandilions; become airborne on little parachutes in the wind, or when disturbed.
 
My weeds got a total boost from it as well. I thought I'd finally beat them back for the year, then, boom, lots of rain, amnd new growth. I'll be out with the weed trimmer again, knockin' em back.
Fortunately for us, Hurricane Maria was much more giving. It devastated the island of Puerto Rico back in 2017, but my dad's garden inherited a literal crop of dragon fruit plants from it. Got a bounty of fruit this year.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom