• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hurricane Hilary - SoCal Takes a Rare Hit

We finally got a good down pour of about 2" at our house. Flooded the yard a bit but that's all. Barely any wind of significance.
And then--at 2am-- flashlights shining th rough the windows, banging on the doors--"Fire department! Warning! your gate entrance is flooded! If you need to get out of the park Monday you better get out now!" Back to bed.

This morning several neighborhood streets have flooded intersections--like about 10" water. I think we have pretty good storm drains though, so it should go down soon.
 
We finally got a good down pour of about 2" at our house. Flooded the yard a bit but that's all. Barely any wind of significance.
And then--at 2am-- flashlights shining th rough the windows, banging on the doors--"Fire department! Warning! your gate entrance is flooded! If you need to get out of the park Monday you better get out now!" Back to bed.

This morning several neighborhood streets have flooded intersections--like about 10" water. I think we have pretty good storm drains though, so it should go down soon.
It was a little windy here last night around 9 p.m. but it only lasted about an hour. No big deal. Still drizzling last night at 11 p.m. but most of the rain had already passed. No rain here now.

Nat Weather Service shows 2.9" rain in Palm Springs over the last 24 hours while the annual rainfall here is 4.6". News says that I-10 is closed in both directions due to flooding here in the Valley. With I-10 closed there is nothing coming into or going out of the valley, for all practical purposes.

Murray
 
I've in tornado territory, had several near misses and one direct hit since living here, and find folks who complain about being advised to prepared for the worst with the information available at the time, and getting something less than the disaster they felt they were somehow entitled to by the advice highly irrational.
 
Oh gawd, we ended up with a sinkhole in all of this,....
1200px-Dawn_on_the_S_rim_of_the_Grand_Canyon_(8645178272).jpg


What Californians see, ^

The real sinkhole, and the total extent of our damage (that I found on quick perusal, after grocery fetching):

DSCN0331.jpegDSCN0332.jpeg
 
I've in tornado territory, had several near misses and one direct hit since living here, and find folks who complain about being advised to prepared for the worst with the information available at the time, and getting something less than the disaster they felt they were somehow entitled to by the advice highly irrational.

Understood Pio, absolutely. The other side of it is that sensational weather reporting destroys confidence in an otherwise trusted source of information. Additionally that sensationalizing continues after the event when it no longer serves as a warning, further destroying credibility. Look at the headlines in this 'report', as it says in the lead, completely nuts. Unrecognizable.... https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...1&cvid=c4ae2e1aee874b5ba9047706df83d90c&ei=62
 
I still recall the warnings to get to where you could spend several days as quickly as safely as possible Friday afternoon the second week of March, 1993. In my case, three days housebound, five days without power in freezing cdx. We did better than many areas.
 
This sinkhole was caused by a septic repair, and is due to a poor trench compaction job by the contractor. He did a good enough job, but lacked some attention on compaction.
I borrowed my neighbors tractor a year ago or so, and wheel rolled a compaction over almost all of it. But, I was not able to get to this section. This section is a spur line that leaves the septic tank, as a whole solid pipe of perhaps 10->12ft long, and buried at least 5' deep. It is as transport to the leach field. It just got wet enough with rain to collapse.
Today is just too sticky wet to do anything in the dirt. So, tomorrow, I fill and compact.
 
This sinkhole was caused by a septic repair, and is due to a poor trench compaction job by the contractor. He did a good enough job, but lacked some attention on compaction.
I borrowed my neighbors tractor a year ago or so, and wheel rolled a compaction over almost all of it. But, I was not able to get to this section. This section is a spur line that leaves the septic tank, as a whole solid pipe of perhaps 10->12ft long, and buried at least 5' deep. It is as transport to the leach field. It just got wet enough with rain to collapse.
Today is just too sticky wet to do anything in the dirt. So, tomorrow, I fill and compact.
Good to know a reason that is permanently correctable.
 
Well------------dang it----we're stranded! Several intersections in our compound are flooded. I only found out when I tried to go to Home Depot a little while ago. I don't drive a truck or SUV buggy, so my sedan got about 8" into the water and I called it quits. It wasn't moving water, but I didn't want to short out something and be stuck, so I baked out of the intersection. By the looks of it, and with no communications from our HOA office, I think we will be stuck for a couple days.
 
Localized flash flooding appears to be the major concern, saw some signs of that last year in Southern Utah traveling thru.
This could have been much much worse if it had maintained strength with rain and winds.
 
I see the chucklehead brigade couldn't resist bringing their craptastic politics into this thread.
Surprise, surprise, surprise.
(rolls eyes)
 
Last edited:
Well------------dang it----we're stranded! Several intersections in our compound are flooded. I only found out when I tried to go to Home Depot a little while ago. I don't drive a truck or SUV buggy, so my sedan got about 8" into the water and I called it quits. It wasn't moving water, but I didn't want to short out something and be stuck, so I baked out of the intersection. By the looks of it, and with no communications from our HOA office, I think we will be stuck for a couple days.
Or worse, sucking water into the engine air intake and hydro-locking the engine.

Don't know what it looks like there but I'm guessing the standing water should drain off pretty soon. Hopefully, anyway.

Murray
 
Back
Top Bottom