• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I am currently restoring an AU-111 and need the paint color of the faceplate.

jefferylhenr

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The face plate appears to be a greenish tint towards black. I need to do a small bit of touch up. Anyone have the paint color code? I suppose it could be scanned but if someone already has the actual color code it would be a huge time saver. I just about have the electronics done and the chassis corrosion all buffed out. What a project to say the least.

This one had been ridden hard and put away wet. Buffing out all the corrosion has been by far the hardest part of the restoration. Still need to replace the output tube sockets as someone had jammed the tubes in and mashed the contacts into wads in the bottom. And an endless list of other dipstick moves like no rocker contacts in the phase and output impedance slider switches. Wrong wiring and a number of broken and detached connections. The best though was the hair fine wire wrapped around the blown main fuse. That is always a bad sign…IMG_6115.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
The face plate appears to be a greenish tint towards black. I need to do a small bit of touch up. Anyone have the paint color code? I suppose it could be scanned but if someone already has the actual color code it would be a huge time saver. I just about have the electronics done and the chassis corrosion all buffed out. What a project to say the least.

This one had been ridden hard and put away wet. Buffing out all the corrosion has been by far the hardest part of the restoration. Still need to replace the output tube sockets as someone had jammed the tubes in and mashed the contacts into wads in the bottom. And an endless list of other dipstick moves like no rocker contacts in the phase and output impedance slider switches. Wrong wiring and a number of broken and detached connections. The best though was the hair fine wire wrapped around the blown main fuse. That is always a bad sign…View attachment 3842103
For touch-ups, the original paint code isn't really the best option; the correct approach is to scan the existing paint, as it has almost certainly been affected by the sun or other factors. Any shop that mixes automotive paint can match the color.
 
Noted the serial number for the database.

Were the transformer cases "oiled" to get the rust-marks off?
What are the two "blue" tubes? Never seen something like this.

Good luck with that project. That is some tough/rough stuff for sure - while interestingly, the backside/backplate of the AU-111 looks like new.
 
A 1970 serial number? I didn't think they were still being built that late. That makes it nearly a 5 year production run for the AU-111. Touching up the faceplate will be tough. It is anodized, not painted, and variations in both the original anodizing process, and the subsequent fading/discoloration over time, preclude a specific pre-determined color code from being used with satisfactory results. The sheen is also a problem, it far from full gloss, obviously, but is also glossier than what would typically be called "satin", so any even pinpoint touchups will be visible under decent lighting conditions.

I was lucky that my original front panel was in good condition, being maybe 8.5 out of 10, and well presentable yet. The edging trim had some damage, so I removed it and found a satin black spray paint that did a decent refinish of it, and was then reinstalled. Despite all that, there was, at the time, a gentleman on eBay who had laser engraved reproduction panels made for the AU-111 (sans the edge trim, which would have to be transferred from an existing panel). I judged these to be of sufficiently good quality and appearance that I bought one, and have kept it in reserve. I keep thinking I should just install it, and save the original in storage to preserve it's condition. I worry about it fading, and about the screen print getting worn or otherwise damaged.

At any rate, this restoration has proceeded quite nicely.
 
Noted the serial number for the database.

Were the transformer cases "oiled" to get the rust-marks off?
What are the two "blue" tubes? Never seen something like this.

Good luck with that project. That is some tough/rough stuff for sure - while interestingly, the backside/backplate of the AU-111 looks like new.
No, who ever had just slopped paint over the top. If the sound blows me away, I will pull all the transformers and have them stripped and proper paint on the cores and powder coat the end caps. The blue cans are tube shields. The originals had shields as well. They secure the 12ax7’s from microphonics and efi/rfi.
 
This entire project was a long time in coming. An interesting side note, some friends were over and I was playing my 1000a that I had restored last year and everyone said it sounded great but let’s listen to your Leben. Same speakers, dac and source materiel. One of the guys is in his 30’s and still has good ears and he said you know, I like the sound of your Sansui better then this Leben.

I knew the 1000a sounded quite good, it should considering the level of restoration and parts quality. So I am thinking to myself, how could an AU-111 really sound any better? Better than my Harmon Kardon Citation I / II?

Well, the only way I know how to find out is to acquire one and restore. IMG_4673.jpeg
 
I'm not much surprised that your 1000A was so well regarded in a listening test. I'm most interested to find out how the 111 compares to (and potentially bests) the AU-X1 and alpha amps. I'm certain it will be notably different, being tube based. Whether or not it is "better" (which is subject to some interpretation depending on one's preferences) will be the subject of some conversation, I'm sure.

I find my 111 to be superb, and it did not receive the attention to detail yours did in restoration (particularly with regard to resistor replacement). Admittedly, I've had a smaller pool of superlative amps with which to compare it.
 
I'm not much surprised that your 1000A was so well regarded in a listening test. I'm most interested to find out how the 111 compares to (and potentially bests) the AU-X1 and alpha amps. I'm certain it will be notably different, being tube based. Whether or not it is "better" (which is subject to some interpretation depending on one's preferences) will be the subject of some conversation, I'm sure.

I find my 111 to be superb, and it did not receive the attention to detail yours did in restoration (particularly with regard to resistor replacement). Admittedly, I've had a smaller pool of superlative amps with which to compare it.
I am still waiting on a few odds and ends, sockets, another set of outputs, silver micas and finishing up the key resistors which will be done tomorrow. I have one channel working and the preamp is good. I really can’t go any further until I replace all the output sockets as one is pretty badly damaged and the contacts aren’t the best on the rest. There is always something more that can be done. I have unstable bias on the non-working channel so it could be bad tubes or maybe even the transformer. I will also try and sort that out tomorrow as well.

So I am taking my time to dive deep while waiting for everything to arrive.

I have the right channel working and it is simply fantastic. Much bigger and richer than the 1000a with definitely greater grip on the bass and a more expansive presentation. With both channels it will be everything you read about. It’s more luscious than the alphas. And I can tell the Leben won’t have a chance keeping up with it. It’s different than my citation II which sound more like my Accuphase solidstate. The citation doesn’t really sound like a tube amp. Based on my brief experience with it is leading me to go a deep as I can with the restoration. Even if I need to source another transformer or have it rebuilt.
 
That's s pretty stout endorsement, and it isn't even done yet. Looking forward to the completion, and eventual serious "shootout" testing against other amps. This is giving me thoughts of going back into mine, and doing so additional work, even if it sounds great and works well presently.
 
Back
Top Bottom