• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I am going to play all my RCA Living Stereo LPs...

I'm not the OP, but I can answer that. It's in the deadwax -- the lead-out area. On RCAs, the information is usually machine-stamped. On lots of records the info is handwritten, I believe by the mastering engineer. You can learn a lot about when and where a record was pressed using that stuff. If you search for "matrix numbers" you can read lots about it.

My copy is a 9S. So I guess it is not a first pressing.
Thank You GreatTone!:thmbsp:

Can't wait to see the next record to be played.:yes:
 
I am watching this thread as well. I have already purchased a "Living Stereo" record from Goodwill the other day just because of this thread. I liked it, so now I will purchase any I see in the future at the thrifts. They always have several at any given time, it just depends on the condition. The one I picked up was NM for both record and cover.
 
The dogs are back on the 'table!

Spinning shaded pups again!

:banana::banana::banana:

Here's one from this weekend:

LSC-1934.jpg


I admit, I never cared for Bartok, and even this splendid recording really doesn't do it for me. The performance is all you could ask, and the sound is quite good, but after listening to it twice I have to say not my type of music. But your tastes may differ, and it's an excellent RCA.

More to come.....
 
Now here's one I do like very much

LSC-1984.jpg


This is one of the truly great LSCs, with marvelous tone color and sound staging. It stayed in print for a long time, and is quite common in various pressings. Munch is a fine conductor in this repertoire, although some may prefer the Cluytens on EMI. It is important to get a quiet pressing, especially for the 'Afternoon of a Faun'.
 
I've been picking up a few of these myself. The store I usually go to is trying to get rid of there classical I guess, lol I'm finding them at $2.95 ea. Looks like they have been only played once or so.
 
Spinning shaded pups again!

:banana::banana::banana:

Here's one from this weekend:

LSC-1934.jpg


I admit, I never cared for Bartok, and even this splendid recording really doesn't do it for me. The performance is all you could ask, and the sound is quite good, but after listening to it twice I have to say not my type of music. But your tastes may differ, and it's an excellent RCA.

More to come.....

Wow. A real beauty, there. Great thread. Keep 'em spinnin'. :thmbsp:
 
Some more Offenbach from Fiedler, LSC-1990:

LSC-1990.jpg


This is definitely one of the lesser RCA shaded dogs. The sides are very long, and they lack the dynamics of LSC-1817. You won't hear the fat sound of powerful brass at close range here, although the quieter passages are very detailed. The performances, while good, are not great.

This one was in print for quite a while, and copies are not particularly valuable. It is fairly easy to find 'in the wild'.
 
Spinning shaded pups again!

:banana::banana::banana:

Here's one from this weekend:
I admit, I never cared for Bartok, and even this splendid recording really doesn't do it for me. The performance is all you could ask, and the sound is quite good, but after listening to it twice I have to say not my type of music. But your tastes may differ, and it's an excellent RCA.

More to come.....

I once attended a live performance of this piece when I didn't really care for Bartok too. I wish I could go back to that time again :tears:
 
I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around, what a fantastic idea. I'm definitely going to check it every day.

Regarding the recording of Ravel's Daphnes and Chloe, I have the XRCD issue and it sounds pretty good, which is strange because I wouldn't expect it to sound better than the original lp. I seem to be in a minority that likes this recording.
 
OK, here is the next one:

LSC-1991.jpg


This is a very good, but not great performance by Reiner in excellent sound. His tempi are more flexible than usual, and the orchestra really gets going. The overture at the end of the symphony is always a surprise to me, since usually the symphony appears alone on LP. The extended side length may cut into the dynamics a little.

My favorite performances remain the Fricsay on DG and the Casals on Columbia, with Reiner and Karajan in the second tier.

Why they decided to use five doves on the jacket, I cannot say.
 
Here is a fine Heifetz recording....

....LSC-1992, the Beethoven. This is one of the pieces that his patrician style is well-suited for.

LSC-1992.jpg


The concerto is well-recorded, with relatively good violin sound, although still a bit steely in places.

The other performance I like of the Beethoven is the Grumiaux on Philips.
 
Interesting thread. I've picked up quit a few RCAs over the years and have decided to try and follow along. I don't have as many as you so I should be able to catch up. I'm also going to cheat a little and use the SACD when I don't have the vinyl.
 
Spinning shaded pups again!

:banana::banana::banana:

Here's one from this weekend:

(Bartok Concerto for Orchestra)

I admit, I never cared for Bartok, and even this splendid recording really doesn't do it for me. The performance is all you could ask, and the sound is quite good, but after listening to it twice I have to say not my type of music. But your tastes may differ, and it's an excellent RCA.

More to come.....
I love this one. The recording is a classic - I have it as a Victrola LP and CD (with original cover art).

BTW, I am enjoying this thread - so many of these recordings are considered among the best recordings of the era.
 
OK, here is the next one:

(Beethoven 7th)

This is a very good, but not great performance by Reiner in excellent sound. His tempi are more flexible than usual, and the orchestra really gets going. The overture at the end of the symphony is always a surprise to me, since usually the symphony appears alone on LP. The extended side length may cut into the dynamics a little.

My favorite performances remain the Fricsay on DG and the Casals on Columbia, with Reiner and Karajan in the second tier.

Why they decided to use five doves on the jacket, I cannot say.
Seven doves might have been more appropriate. LOL.

I used to run with the Finale playing in my head. This deserves a driving performance. I like the 1936 Toscanini (somehow cleaned up here - may not be for the purist) and the 1975 Kleiber. I'll have to check out the others.
 
....LSC-1992, the Beethoven. This is one of the pieces that his patrician style is well-suited for.

LSC-1992.jpg


The concerto is well-recorded, with relatively good violin sound, although still a bit steely in places.

The other performance I like of the Beethoven is the Grumiaux on Philips.

I have an XRCD version of this recording. Makes the hairs on my arm stand up. :)
 
This is the first semi-classical one....

....but it is a lot of fun:

LSC-1994.jpg


It has Lecouna on one side, and some classical warhorses like the Ritual Fire Dance and Batuque on the other. It was kind of an answer to some of the 'exotic' stereo records that were coming out at the time, although a bit more serious.

This thread has been a bit slow because I am not able to take pictures during the week, because I am at work during daylight hours. This is the last in the LSC-19xx series that I photographed at the start of this thread. However, I have taken out the LSC-20xx records, as well as the first half of the LSC-21xx series, and I have them stacked up and ready to go. I will take the pics and start playing them tomorrow.
 
Back
Top Bottom