• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I don't identify with people my age at all...

Typically, lots of pressure to conform with your own generation when you are launching yourself as a young adult. I think that’s a relative constant among generations. Reading the OP’s comments, he/she seems fairly confident “in his/her own skin”, which I see as a sign of maturity, especially at this timeline of age/life. Thank God (literally) that the world seems to procreate the diversity of humans to cover all basic human needs (re doctors, farmers, electricians, artists, morticians, astronauts…). I tend to sign up to the belief that this balance is rather a divine providence of humanity.

At my retirement age, I still feel rather (mentally) youthful. I have a lot more fun hanging out with my 30 something’s prodigy than most others my age (I don’t know how reciprocal the feelings are though!). At some point (as has been stated/alluded to), age is just a number. Getting to “that specific age” where it IS just a number, varies greatly. One of the big messages that I glean from this post is just to be yourself, whoever and whatever that is (right?) - obviously and hopefully within the confines of social norms/decency. Don’t be afraid to be unique or different from those around you (age wise, interest wise, or general proximity), or seek out other like-minded humans. The world allows (at least for the very fortunate) to relocate themselves (physically) to help this to occur. Professional aspirations, religious pursuits, cultural/ethnic comforts/alignment, climate and habitat, the list goes on. Find your peace/nirvana aspirations when/while you can. Explore the world and your interests while you are youthful so that you can grow in the direction that makes you content as you age forward. BUT, always try to remain open minded to other’s way of life. We are all unique individuals in a big geographic world that “should” allow for that (but obviously always doesn’t)…

Great post!
 
Last edited:
I get that.

Every time the wife or I do something that's just ethical (like go back and pay for something the cashier missed) or honest and true, we get the "there's so few people like you folks anymore". The response we get when we do something that's just "right" even if it's not good for us is just incredulous. Most people just don't understand it.

Or when you eff up and don't even try to defend it, they just get thrown off center and let you off. I've had ore than one officer pull me over for a minor infraction and I just fess up with "nope, I know it did that wrong, you got me fair and square", they usually just get a puzzled look and let me off, usually without even a warning.

I think it's just the way the world goes. My parents used to have the same view on how the world was going....IE: it's not like it used to be.

I think it's also just part of aging as well. Hindsight, rose colored glasses and all that jazz.

I'm actually quite surprised how many people who are older than me are so....well, lets just call it "rude". Maybe they're just disillusioned, maybe they're just old and cranky, maybe they are having financial issues because they're on fixed income. Who knows what the issue is? There's actually no way of knowing because everyone's life ( and life experiences) is different.

Younger folks being "weird" I just chalk up to them being young and haven't found their way yet. Although, they seem to be getting older and older and still haven't "found their way yet".

And I realize the irony in this next statement, but I place a lot of blame on the "online" method society has with interacting these days. It's too easy to be an A-hole online. Quick to hit respond, staring at nothing but a screen, to easy to misinterpret with out tone or facial/body expressions. Humans were meant to communicate face to face. Staring at the written word is always subject to misinterpretation. Not to mention, it's easy to be a "tough guy" behind a screen and tick people off. Different story when you're face to face and there more potential consequences than a snarky response.

"Social media" is one of the worst things the human race has ever done to itself IMHO. It started out with great promise and took a hard turn into the gutter pretty fast.

My standard comment when asked:

There's nothing social about social media.....
Not a going back to pay for it story but close.

Standing in line at Walgreens to fix a prescriptions screw up on their part. I'm about three back when I start feeling my blood sugars, drop. Luckily, they had a cooler a couple of steps away so grabbed a Coke. Finished my business at the counter, didn't want to hold up the line so I paid for my Coke up front.

I had to come back to pick up my prescription. They said they'd have it done in fifteen minutes. Got back and of course, they screwed up and didn't fill it. Had to wait while they fast tracked it. I was dealing with the same clerk that waited on me before and I had the feelings she thought it was strange that I didn't pay for the Coke there. So I told her I didn't steal the coke but paid for it up front. She said, Oh, thank you for telling me it sounded like a sense of relief.
 
Last edited:
I understand completely. I wasn't greatly enamoured of my peers at your age, and still find way too many early 20's types to lack seriousness (more than usual, anyway). Sadly many of them never outgrew that "phase" of chasing appearance and not substance!

Make your own way. As my Grandma said "you are stuck with your family, but you can choose your friends -- choose well!" I'm on vacation in Florida at the moment with my best friend from graduate school and most of his family, including the new grandbaby. 35 or so years now I think. Good friends last forever.

And you don't have to be like everyone else, nor do you have to spend time with people you don't care for. True friends come in all ages, sexes, and races, you will know when you find them.
 
When I was your age I was hitch-hiking all over the USA, N/S/E&W, coast to coast, north to across the Mex border. It was just - normal.:dunno:

Meeting everyone & playing frisbee!! Those were really fun times. "On the road again."
 
At the other end now. Surprises me how many turn into stodgy, intolerant old fogey's

I see a worrying amount of intolerance from people of all ages these days. There seems to be a serious rise in people being unwilling to even discuss hard issues, without it becoming a name-calling and/or shouting contest. Some of the worst I've seen recently, have been people in their 20s and 30s

In any case- "know it alls" are pretty insufferable, at any age.

I don't know if it's the "echo chamber effect" of many social media platforms, or the lack of practice in social interaction due to pandemic isolation over the last few years, or what, but I see a worrying amount of people who just don't seem to be able to hold a meaningful discussion about important problems that we all face.
I don't claim to be an expert at interaction (in fact, it's pretty exhausting to me in many cases), but geesh- if we can't even have civil discussions, without people melting down- what hope do we have?

OTOH- I've run into a few teenagers recently, that almost seem like the proverbial "old souls". Consideration for others, an appreciation for good things both new and old, and a willingness to actually pause and listen. I just hope they can hold the proverbial line, against what seems to be a rising tide of tribalism and dismissiveness.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Back
Top Bottom