• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I don't identify with people my age at all...

It's a shame that you are not getting along with the people of your own age. Getting old too fast is not a good thing. You can miss out on too much of life that way. There are great people and great experiences at every age. Get out and enjoy being the age that you are. You will have plenty of time in the coming years to be old.

There is some very sage advice here.
 
Cultivate the friendships that please you. If they don't fit into the so called 'norm' don't sweat it. It's your life, manage it as you see fit and in a manner that makes sense to you and pleases you.

I personally believe the most well rounded individuals form friendships with people of all ages. Most likely the majority of those friendships will be with people close to their age, but the savvy ones befriend older and younger people thereby getting a view of past, present, and future.

As usual, just my opinion.
 
Vistance, I think you're misanthropic and lonely. One often causes the other and vice versa. Get the Hell out of Kentucky as soon as possible, go to Chicago, make good dough and knock on the girls from Big 10 schools who flood the city's youth ghettos.

As for the new Focus, well <I> love the car. We just got back from Myrtle Beach, the car averaged 34 MPG for the trip; across the prairie, over the mountains and through the Piedmont and Tidewater. I drive 5 over.
 
Last edited:
Well since in this thread I can't recommend something about vintage hifi, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the OP to date older women.

Happy times.
 
I know what you mean Vistance!i see people do thoughtless,illogical things and then moan when there are negative consequences!I too don't like most people and I detest bars and parties.(I don't dig forced social interaction).I prefer the introverted lifestyle and apart from my wife,daughters,siblings and mom don't care to hang out with anyone else.Still.I am happy and have numerous hobbies and interests .The internet and forums like this one are perfect because you control the interaction and can limit the discussion to the common interest without the baggage of in person interaction.Works for me and I am not lonely or depressed!
 
Vistance, I think you should keep such personal thoughts to yourself. Reticence with strangers is a virtue. Oh, yak all you want about nonsense like high fidelity, cars, guns. But important personal stuff online, uh-uh.
 
Last edited:
Vistance, I think you should keep such personal thoughts to yourself. Reticence with strangers is a virtue. Oh, yak all you want about nonsense like high fidelity, cars, guns. But important personal stuff online, uh-uh.

You're reading my mind, sir.
 
It can be tough being an introvert sometimes. Take comfort in the fact that you won't be wasting a lot of time trying to be the life of the party. When I was your age most of my friends were older. Now that I'm older, most of my friends are younger. You're at an age where lots of people are transitioning from high school/college to more college or jobs. If I listed the people that were friends at 22, and compared it to a list of people that are still important as friends in my life, the cross section would be pretty small. Do what you do and do it well. Occasionally you'll have a run-in with a dipshit or two, it's inevitable. Eventually you'll hang out with people that have similar interests; like here for example.
 
Post #25 suggests to me that you're a textbook Aspie (but I'm no psychologist, I just know a few Aspies). A lot of people in this end of the hobby are wired that way. The absolute adherence to logic and inability to empathize with people who don't, potential social awkwardness or at least a distaste for it, intelligence focused into specific types of pursuits. It all over audio circles and I don't say this as a criticism. It just explains a LOT of the discussions that take place in audio circles and why they are often seeming to take place between people who speak different languages that use common words. Because they are.
 
I am 25 and I completely identify with your first paragraph. Keep on keeping on, brother. Those Instagram/Facebook/Twitter/whatthefuckever junkies are going to pay for it someday. Or at least that's what I tell myself. That kind of extreme narcissism doesn't go unpunished. That probably sounds brutal, but I'm tired and can't come up with a tender way to say it. Humility is necessary for healthy relationships, plain and simple. Looking someone in the eye and speaking to them in person with the ability to articulate your thoughts are also necessary.

What part of the country do you live in?
I miss @nickrobotron. We had a lotta good exchanges @ Music Forums in the mid 2000s, when I still lived in The States.
 
I felt a little bit the same. I'm a native Bucharester and for eg I liked to learn about the history of the city and loved the pre '60's buldings, especially houses, vilas, and apartament buildings from the precommunist era. That made me different... even some people who are older then me and lived here since birth don't care about much. I like the old, but the new too, but the atraction for the new faded as the times past and the new becamed crap.
Well, I'm 42. Up untill 1992 (Nov.) the 1st digits of the land phone number where I live where 42. I do like sometimes using the land line (no more 642) and I hate smartphones. Dern, those smartphones are annyoing.
And I'm older then some older people. Listening music from analog media, driving old cars, retro computing, some young folks do that. But I don't feel confortable on a building made after 1980? which haves allmost or all new furniture or other stuff, even if the building and what it's into it are one the tastes that I like. Don't know why this fobia of new.
 
Back
Top Bottom