• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I don't know why but I bought a Betamax machine today.

Register to hide this ad
I had the 5400 version of that, with a ton of beta tapes that would barely play 10 years later. Tape problem, not beta machine problem. A signal fade tape problem, I believe. I hope your machine still works after all this time.

I used the complete Beta family in broadcast TV, from analog to DigiBeta. An amazing suite of broadcast products that have been eclipsed by current digital delivery.
 
Superawesomeness!!!! I am frequentIy astounded by the level of engineering that went into some of this stuff
 
I'm going to look around for some tapes. There's a guy near me with one open tape, a few sealed ones and a head cleaner. I might as well give it a shot.
 
I have two hf-900s. They both work great. I bought my first Beta HiFi Stereo deck in the mid 90s when people were dumping Beta. I wanted to try it for the Audio, because I liked the idea of playing 6 hours of music non stop. I did find it very good. My favourite Beta was the HF-751. I still have the carcass of mine in case I can get it repaired locally.
 
These things are pretty well obsolete from where I see it. Can't use them for TV as tv's all gone digital now and soundwise there are better digital formats via a PC than can give you endless hours of usage. Sorry don't get it at all ??
 
If you want to make your own mixed audio tapes, Beta will let you do up to 6 hours on a tape. Great for parties or events. The problem with digital is its instant, so the creative juices never get going whereas with analog, you have to go through the songs you pick, and that can lead to the next song that plays.
 
If you have a converter box and a tv with an analog tuner, you should be able to record digital, over the air broadcasts. Have to do all your recording on channel 2 or 4.
 
We still have a nice Sony vcr that pretty much has no use at all here.A 19" tv with vcr built gets a small amount of use for the kids to watch all the older kids vcr tapes from ten years ago and it is a chore just to get them to do that.Tape tech that has very little if any use here, even cassettes.I have passed on a few what appeared to be extremely nice VCR machines from someones glorious tape past.
 
It's nice to have the ability when you come across that odd ball movie/concert in a store. I have Laser and VHS still hooked up for this reason. The stereo Betas were bringing good money.
 
These things are pretty well obsolete from where I see it. Can't use them for TV as tv's all gone digital now and soundwise there are better digital formats via a PC than can give you endless hours of usage. Sorry don't get it at all ??

Betamax, if hifi is near the top for audio recording performance.
 
Too bad you didn't buy and post about the thing last year. I had about a dozen factory sealed L-750's and 5 Beta ED's. But the ED's would have been useless to you.

Those ED's were short ones and still had their price tags - $25 each. I tried getting a couple of bucks (litterally) for all of the tapes but no takers. Wound up giving them to someone.

You might find blank Beta tapes at Innovative Audio in Surrey.
 
I just grabbed a few sealed L-750, one open one and a head cleaner, plus another cordless remote and owner manual for another model. I can at least test it now.
 
I debated about including it but with those blanks went a Beta copy of D.O.A. which I never did see. Either Syd Viceous was in it or it had something to with him.
 
Back
Top Bottom