• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I had to recap my clock!

A few years back two different friends, at different times, both needed their 240 volt electric motor starting caps(one a HVAC air handler blower, and the other a whole house well pump) replaced as the motors were stalled and humming..
The more recent well pump motor being non-operational was more serious, as the house is very rural, and depended on that pump for the house`s water supply, and also a water to air heat pump for HVAC !!

The middle aged woman didn`t enjoy lugging in muck buckets of water from the water to air HVAC water discharge 150 ft. from the house cistern for the toilet use, and being summertime the water to air heat pump system had to be turned off at the breaker, until the house pump cap was replaced, so not to damage the HVAC compressor !

Of course both of these 2 different motor starting caps failed on a weekend(Sunday), but Ace hardware had the exact ~$5:00 replacements, so both were operational as soon as the owners returned with the new cap while I waited and drank some of their beer !!
They greatly appreciated the substantial labor, service call , and no doubt, the excessive markup tacked on to the replacement cap, savings, by my looking at their situation for them.
yea, they were very happy, and I was treated to G&T`s + a very good dinner at each house afterwards..

I felt pretty good for inexpensively helping out two friends on a very hot NE. FL. summer afternoon, too.
 
Hadn’t thought about that. I’m a dentist, so I basically make a living recapping. maybe explains why I enjoy Conrad’s posts so much. :D
Steven, I'm at the age now where I've had some of those recapped too!

And thank God for modern dentists and dentistry. I've never understood people that say they hate the dentist. They must never have had a bad toothache. I have, and let me tell you, the person that makes that go away is my buddy!!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...
 
The display on my Audi went out with the same symptoms, slowly over time. After reading about how I should change the lcd display with a new one, I pulled the dash and just resoldered the lcd (they had used low temp solder paste and it did not last in the heat). So check the connections to the display.

On a lark, I pulled the receiver out of the closet to see if the display was still out. At the time I took the receiver out of use, I looked at the innerds of the receiver and knew right off the bat the repair was out of my league. Earlier this week I pulled it out of the closet to see if another look all these years later would make me feel better about attempting the repair. To my surprise, the display worked. I then thought the failure might be heat related, so I let the receiver run at least 48 straight hours and the display was still working properly. The board that controls the display has two components that are melted, at minimum, and probably burnt. I can't say with certainty what the components are, but at present they kinda resemble tantalum caps. I don't know why the display went out, I don't know why it came back. I may just put it back into use and see what happens.
 
Welcome to AK Uncle Charlie!

If you decide to pursue any repair of your receiver you should start a new thread (see lower right of forum screen) and compose a title that conveys a good description of your project. Be sure to include as much info as is practical. You will probably get lots of help.

Good Luck - - -
 
Back
Top Bottom