• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I hate today's washing machines

I don't drink cofee because it's too energizing for me. I preffer cacoa + milk.
As for the washing machine, I try to fool an "Whripool" with that 6th sense - does it need to make sense 6 times?, in order to use more water when rinsing. It's harder then on the "L.G."... I thought "L.G." direct drives was a crap when using it, but this is more crap. Turn on the program, press cold water, pause, comute to spining, because rinse + spining does it 2 times..., pause, because in order to start the spin you need to press the function button 3 times... oh, and not forget to press a lower spining revolution per minute (800 in stad of 1200). The L.E.D. display of the spining is so small and when rotating the knob, you can see good where it is only if you look at an 80-100 ° angle... They simply desing it, but they don't test it proprely.
I just set my LG and press start. No issues with how the clothes come out.
 
Miele's a pretty high-end brand, though, and it's German. You'd shop it against Bosch, not GE or Whirlpool. If you're open to open-box and returns to save a few hundred, try a Best Buy outlet or scratch-n-dent of whatever Lowe's Depot-type store you're partial to.

I never buy this sort of appliance at a big box store. I don’t even like to shop there for bolts and screws. :rolleyes:
 
We has a Sears Kenmore set last about 33 years. Only repair on the washer was replacement of the bottom seal on the agitator at around the 30 year mark. It's quite a bit of work for a $3 part. I did the DIY job. Special wrench that I'll never use again. Paying for a repairman to fix it would have been far more that the washer was worth. When we sold our house 5 years ago, I wheeled them out to the curb for garbage week. I'd say we got out moneys' worth.
 
I'm looking for new set of w&d. Most if not all are the new product over engineered, making them complicated for us old analog folks. I like The Speed Queen but paying 3 times the cost over the new models seem a bit restrictive. I just closed on a new 2nd home and all the installed appliance's are Whirlpool and I may just keep the W&D the same brand simply for repair and parts. Oh well I've got a few months to figure it all out.
 
36 yrs. with zero failures/service on both the purchased matching mechanical control operating washing machine and drier pair manufactured in USA from Sears & Roebuck (Kenmore) in 1989 shortly after buying this house.
Still both appliances continue to function perfectly like new without any problems.
Good for you.
I dunno, maybe 8 years ago I had a perfectly fine Kenmore washer and gas dryer here. I came home one day and they were gone , replaced by a piece of sht LG . The dryer functions but the washer ? Forget it. No agitation, none of my pants or shirts get clean , plus there is never enough water in there. I’ve looked in when my wife’s stuff is in the machine and half of it isn’t even wet. Won’t listen to me, thinks it’s fine. “ says unrepeatable word “.
 
Good for you.
I dunno, maybe 8 years ago I had a perfectly fine Kenmore washer and gas dryer here. I came home one day and they were gone , replaced by a piece of sht LG . The dryer functions but the washer ? Forget it. No agitation, none of my pants or shirts get clean , plus there is never enough water in there. I’ve looked in when my wife’s stuff is in the machine and half of it isn’t even wet. Won’t listen to me, thinks it’s fine. “ says unrepeatable word “.
So I guess I`m to understand your significate other decided to pull this washer/drier ("upgrade")change out stunt while you were away without prior discussions/consulting with you for no apparent "practical reason" !?

Well then, Sharpstik, if that`s the case, I`m glad that I`m not, nor have ever been married, and maintain absolute total control over all my house`s operations, thank you very much !
Sad !
 
Bought a Maytag top loader to replace a GE front loader that worked but mold became to much of a problem. Maytag's been very good so far.
 
My mother was open-minded, often thinking way ahead of her time and my father lovingly accomodated her. In 1963 it was time to replace our dual-tub washing machine from the 1940's and we had no dryer yet ... my folks were frugal. They went to the unfrugal extreme of buying a new Phillips, front-loading, washer/dryer, combination machine. The dryer was gas-heated, so it was a large and complex machine. It required numerous service visits from the local gas company that sold it. Post-warranty, my father kept it running, with several more repairs, including rebuilding the three-speed, solenoid-shifted, transmission. I still have a 1/2 gallon of Texaco Regal RO tranny oil that was left over from 1966.

That machine lasted until 1971 when replaced with a White Westinghouse front-loader and separate gas dryer. Unlike the Phillips, it had a simple belt drive with a pully engaged for high-speed spin. With ongoing minor repairs, it lasted until 1985. Not too bad for a less-than-high-end machine.

Having experienced the benefits of front-loading washers, I've always had one. Our 2018 Whirlpool front-loader seems to be mechanically sound but the computerized controls are a complete failure and poorly programmed. The user-interface is an utter disaster and allows no individual selection of the modes once available with a simple dial or buttons. :mad: If you very lightly brush against the start/stop pad (proximity switch?) while it's operating, the machine will stop and drain - forcing a restart with more detergent needed and time wasted. Grrr! The keypad on our Samsung Microwave requires SO much pressure that it's difficult to operate. Unbelievable!

The USA sticker on the washer reminds me that we went to the moon in 1969 but seem to be going backwards in some simple things. (Although the Samsung is Korean, it's sold here.)
 
Last edited:
My mother was open-minded, often thinking way ahead of her time and my father lovingly accomodated her. In 1963 it was time to replace our dual-tub washing machine from the 1940's and we had no dryer yet ... my folks were frugal. They went to the unfrugal extreme of buying a new Phillips, front-loading, washer/dryer, combination machine. The dryer was gas-heated, so it was a large and complex machine. It required numerous service visits from the local gas company that sold it. Post-warranty, my father kept it running, with several more repairs, including rebuilding the three-speed, solenoid-shifted, transmission. I still have a 1/2 gallon of Texaco Regal RO tranny oil that was left over from 1966.

That machine lasted until 1971 when replaced with a White Westinghouse front-loader and separate gas dryer. Unlike the Phillips, it had a simple belt drive with a pully engaged for high-speed spin. With ongoing minor repairs, it lasted until 1985. Not too bad for a less-than-high-end machine.

Having experienced the benefits of front-loading washers, I've always had one. Our 2018 Whirlpool front-loader seems to be mechanically sound but the computerized controls are a complete failure and poorly programmed. The user-interface is an utter disaster and allows no individual selection of the modes once available with a simple dial or buttons. :mad: If you very lightly brush against the start/stop pad (proximity switch?) while it's operating, the machine will stop and drain - forcing a restart with more detergent needed and time wasted. Grrr! The keypad on our Samsung Microwave requires SO much pressure that it's difficult to operate. Unbelievable!

The USA sticker on the washer reminds me that we went to the moon in 1969 but seem to be going backwards in some simple things. (Although the Samsung is Korean, it's sold here.)
Love my speed queen set ! Nice big chrome knob comes in any color as long as it’s white
 
Darn, I hate the fact that you have to push some buttons in stad of turning knobs. And you have to play with the spinning speed, because each program haves a dedicated one in stad of manual preset one.
And sometimes the machines are erratic...
In 1963 "Philips" exported washing machines into U.S.A.?
 
When I bought the Maytag purposely stayed away from graphical interfaces. Control knob and simple touch pad. Also did a lot of research. Samsung and LG received a lot of hate for the unreliability of their electronically elaborate machines and it was for the entire line-up home appliances not just washers and dryers. Also aske the the sale associate that worked the store for quite sometime about the reputation of Samsung and LG. He said they had the most problems and he recommended the Maytag.
 
Last edited:
When I bought the Maytag purposely stayed away from graphical interfaces. Control knob and simple touch pad. Also did a lot of research. Samsung and LG received a lot of hate for the unreliability of their electronically elaborate machines and it was for the entire line-up home appliances not just washers and dryers. Also aske the the sale associate that worked the store for quite sometime about the reputation of Samsung and LG. He said they were they had the most problems and he recommended the Maytag.
Lg makes a decent tv but horrible appliances !
 
I've said exactly the same thing. Have a LG Oled and it's a great TV but to see that many negative reviews connected to their appliances was surprising.
Keep in mind that the highest volume brands always have the majority of reviews, good and bad. LG has some of the highest rated home appliances on the market in both overall performance and reliability. Some appliance brands are known for their great laundry products, some for cooking, and some for refrigeration. Unfortunately, there isn't an appliance brand on earth that doesn't have periodic quality issues, especially now with global supply chain shifts.
 
FYI: (from Google)

"On June 6, 2016, Qingdao Haier (now Haier Smart Home Company) acquired GE Appliances for $5.6 billion. Under the terms of the sale, Haier has the right to use the GE brand name until 2056.

A substantial portion of GE appliances are still produced in the United States.
While many GE appliances are made in the U.S., some products are also manufactured globally to GE's specifications. "
 
Back
Top Bottom