• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I Love Thrifts - Shocking Scores!!

Scorpion8

Addicted Member
Stopped by St.Vincent DePaul Thrift on the way home. This was the place two weeks ago I got a Nakamichi cassette deck and a Technics dbx cassette deck for $5 each.

Todays score?

Hold your breath ....

A copy of Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Pictures at and Exhibition on vinyl and a mint, unwrapped Maxell UDS-I 60-minute cassette. Total damage? $0.35.

I can shop like that all day long.....
 
Register to hide this ad
A Nak 480 (silver) and no, this LP does not have "Touch & Go" on it. That's a new one on me.

But still..... 35 cents?!?!? I love these places !!!!
 
nak 480

A Nak 480 (silver) and no, this LP does not have "Touch & Go" on it. That's a new one on me.

But still..... 35 cents?!?!? I love these places !!!!

Does the Nak work? I "donated" mine to the repair shop 15 years ago, because replacing all of the (nylon?delrin?whatever) gears that had suffered plasticiser rot would cost more than the deck was worth, and diy repairs at the time were not in the offing. $5 sounds about right for the price. The 480 was not one of their better decks.

John L.
 
Does the Nak work? ... $5 sounds about right for the price. The 480 was not one of their better decks.

Yup. It had a frozen pinch roller that just needed to be cleaned and lubed, and it works great. The 480's are superb units for Nak's 2-head offerings, and it does a great job.

Am still giddy. We all love a great score, but I spend more on a soda from the soda machine and get much less satisfaction than these two small treasures. Long live the "tiny" score!
 
RE: NAK 480 model

This was their entry level model in the early 80's. I know because I bought one from Audio King in Edina, MN back then for $395.00 plus sales tax. That was a lot of dough-ray-me for me back then - a starving college student living with my folks.

It was a great sounding deck - made ANY CASSETTE sound better, whether it was pre-recorded commercially or recorded on another brand of deck. I sold it 7 years ago with all the original accessories (incl. box) to a young fellow for $150. Then I upgraded to a sweet rack-mount NAK 681ZX!

And now back to your regularly scheduled program . . .
 
Good things come to thee who wait. Sounds like it was your turn.:yes:

Great finds like this make for a lot of fun and enjoyment.:D

Congratulations on a couple of great finds.:music:
 
This was their entry level model in the early 80's. I know because I bought one from Audio King in Edina, MN back then for $395.00 plus sales tax.

Audio King/Edina.... I remember them!!!!

A Nak any Nak is always a nice find. The again so is ELP on lp.
 
Nice find Scorpion. I bought 4 sheets at 95 cents each to use as dropcloths to paint a door. There's never anything interesting audio wise.
 
I've always been more amazed at the small scores (LPs for $0.10/@) rather than the huge auction place mega-purchase. It's the little things, ya know ...
 
Vintage audio is like women, you either find one you like or you don't :D

That's probably why I have never had a girlfriend I keep comparing them to audio gear! :D :nono:
 
Nak 480 = score

This was their entry level model in the early 80's. I know because I bought one from Audio King in Edina, MN back then for $395.00 plus sales tax. That was a lot of dough-ray-me for me back then - a starving college student living with my folks.

It was a great sounding deck - made ANY CASSETTE sound better, whether it was pre-recorded commercially or recorded on another brand of deck. I sold it 7 years ago with all the original accessories (incl. box) to a young fellow for $150. Then I upgraded to a sweet rack-mount NAK 681ZX!

And now back to your regularly scheduled program . . .

Yes, I like this deck too. Nice score Scorpion! :thmbsp: I had a Black 480 in my bedroom system - included the Nakamichi RP-9E record/ replay head and E-8L erase head, silent and smooth, great sound. Here's a picture:

IMAGE_00741.jpg
 
I hit 4 (2 for me) thrifts ... today not a thing.

That''s my usual story. Somedays it's like you came in right after somebody dropped off the good stuff. Most days it's like everyone else got there before me. But in the scale of things, this has to be the happiest 35-cents I ever spent.
 
I went to Goodwill today and found a few things:

Led Zeppelin "In Through the Out Door" It looks like new almost.

Chuck Berry "Johnny B. Goode" On Pickwick, looks like a reissue of a previous Mercury release. Good condition.

Creedance Clearwater Revival "Live in Europe" Two Record Set on Fantasy. Cover is a bit worn but the vinyl looks very good.

The Doors "Other Voices" Good shape.

The Doors 1967 Original Mono. Bad shape but for a buck I bought it anyway.

Dire Straits "Dire Straits". I already have a copy of this but this one was like new so I bought it for a buck.

Louis Armstrong "Hello Dolly" on Kapp. I have a copy of this but this is a much better copy.

Led Zeppelin "Coda" Nice copy.

Pink Floyd "Animals" Looks to be dated 1977. Good Shape.

Bo Didley "Go Bo Didley" on Checker. From the liner notes it appears to be his second album with that label anyway.

Bing Crosby "Drifting and Dreaming" It's a book of four Columbia 10 inch 33's dated 1947. It's in really nice shape. I am a big Crosby fan so this was great for me.

and finally:

A Picture Disc that has the Miami Vice Theme Song with a picture of Don Johnson and that other guy holding their guns on one side and Glenn Frey on the other. Not really my cup of tea but I bought it anyway.
 
Thanks I go about five days a week because I have to go to the post office for my business most days and the Goodwill is pracically next door. I know all the people there and the check out guy told me I had missed a bunch of other Doors albums he checked out earlier that day and while I was there there was another guy with a huge stack of stuff he had pulled. I had not bought a thing all last week or this week up until now. I picked out triple that amount of really good stuff but I rejected most of it based on the condition of the vinyl. Some of the best stuff I couldn't justify buying cause it was too scratched.
 
Back
Top Bottom