• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I Love Thrifts - Shocking Scores!!

They almost know me by name at our local GW. Some of my greatest hits

hardware:
Nach CR-1A cassette deck $10
Nach OMA-1 cd player $10
ADS L520's $20
Panasonic 52" HDTV $200 (needed a bulb)
DBX 1BX II expander $10
Pioneer SX-650 $5
JBL L-100's $4 (missing grills and rip in woofer, but a keeper)

Still have and use all except the Pioneer. Flipped it on ebay to buy more stuff.

Albums:
Billy Joel Storm Front
Billy Joel Songs in the Attic
U2 Unforgettable Fire
Chicago 17 (for the wife... loves their ballads)
Boston Third Stage
Eagles Hotel California (side 2 pretty scratched up)
 
The thrifts are absolutely where it's at.
latest finds:
Nakamichi Mb-1 cd player 5.86
Amber 50-B Integrated Amplifier 6.86
Marantz cc-3000 cd player 30.00
Marantz model 5420 cassette deck 5.86
LP's far too numerous to mention Usually 2 for a dollar
Around 50 current release indie jazz cd's, Patricia Barber, Marilyn Scott, Maria Schnieder, David Clayton Thomas, etc. 1.00 each.
I'm sure that I've forgotten lots of stuff.
All of the stuff that I brought to the 07 Fest Except for my Sentry III's came from The Salvation Army.
I'm having a ball. I still have to pinch myself.
 
I find lots and lots of great records but never find any good equipment. I figure its all getting cherry picked cause its just not there. I do see speakers from time to time but none I would want. But after reading this forum I found out I may have passed up some pioneers that might have been worth purchasing once. I am gonna keep a closer eye on speakers and try to learn more about them cause that is one thing I might be able to get. I wish I had an iphone so I could look them up on the internet while standing there.
 
Many times I've passed stuff up to go look up some details on it, only to come back and find it gone. My new rule is grab it, and if I don't like it I can donate it back to be sold again (depending on price). That helps the thrift out as they get to sell it twice and make double the profit (I mean come on, this SVDP sells records for $0.10 each, how much money can they be making?). So I feel good, they get more money, and I don't miss out on stuff like some Yamaha NS-1000's I once passed on ....
 
I find lots and lots of great records but never find any good equipment. I figure its all getting cherry picked cause its just not there. I do see speakers from time to time but none I would want.

Well you didnt listen to them first to see if you wanted them...:thumbsdn:

You should NEVER pass up something without giving it a listen!
:nono:

I learned that lesson after hearing about how good certain receivers were after I passed up a small realistic PA amp,A marantz scope reciver and a Massive kenwood receiver with lots of VU meters all going for $3.00 a piece..
but that was before I came across vintage audio sites....:tears:

I even passed up a pair of small Advents!:tears:
 
Back
Top Bottom