• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I need some kind of audio/speaker switch

Quick Cal

Active Member
I'm new to all this audio stuff so please work with me,,,lol.

I have one set of big speakers I want to use for all my different audio components. I have a JVC receiver that I will run most of my stuff through which includes a reel to reel, laptop for youtube vids, and possibly a secondary phono. Then out to the speakers. I think I got that part figured out.

But then I also want to use my old RCA tube amp console to play records on. I just think it sounds warmer going through the tube amp. But I want to use the same set of speakers. I know I could solder up some kind of plugs and switch back and forth. But what a pain that would be.

So do they make some kind of switch box where I would have speaker wires from two different sources coming in and be able to switch back and forth, and then have it going out to just the one set of speakers.

I hope I'm being clear enough,,,lol.
 
Register to hide this ad
see this thread about the Tec 905b

audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/speaker-selector-switches.768264/
 
It won't. You'll need a very specific kind of a speaker level switch for amps. It needs to switch all 4 connections separately (no common ground), it needs to be a "break before make" type (break one connection before making another) to prevent both amps being connected to each other even for a split second, and it should not have anything else inside except binding posts, wires and switch (no resistors, no protection circuits, impedance matching etc.)

The simplest and cheapest option is to built a switch box using a 4PDT switch. I recently built two, the total cost is around $10-20, depending how cheap you can get the switch and what type of binding posts and enclosure you use.

The switch I built:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/amp-speaker-switch-diy.768833/
 
Last edited:
Adcom switches allow to make more than one connection at the same time, right? If yes, that's a disaster waiting to happen. I have a friend who was sure it wouldn't happen to him, because he was always careful. And than he went on holiday and his daughter was house sitting. She wanted to listen to radio, started pressing buttons and bye bye Yamaha amp. He was lucky, she only fried one amp and it could be repaired.
 
Back
Top Bottom